Anyone Went from Teacher to Teacher's Asst./Para or Want to?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2015

Sure, being a teacher is great, but have any of you actually went from being a teacher to a teacher's asst. or para? Some people don't care to run the whole ship, they're happier with being told what & how to help work with the kids & that's that...not really facing the parents (much), being given their (sometimes) scrutiny, administering various testing & being responsible for the results, being faced with the principal's "wrath", etc.

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 14, 2015

I don't think I could do it. I'd have a hard time not overstepping my boundaries and feeling over qualified for the job.

4. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Oct 14, 2015

My aunt did this. She taught middle school science for about seven years and left the field for another seven while she raised her boys who had special needs. Once both boys were in public school full time, she began working as a para in another classroom at their school. It has worked for her because she is in a completely different grade level than what she ever taught- she is very content with the demands and schedule, and loves to leave work at work each day.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2015

I started as a teacher, moved to a different city and took a job as a para at a middle school which led to a teaching position in a high school. I don't think I could do the job of a para at this point in my career. One, their pay is unfairly low and I could not support myself and daughter on that income. I do like the position I have now because I'm not in the classroom, but I still get that interaction with students on occasion.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2015

I wouldn't want to do it.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2015

I couldn't imagine doing that. I've known I was going to be an educator since I was in 2nd grade.

Even in college, though, I was never an aide. I never had a desire to be in that role.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2015

I was in the special ed field & was never a para, but I've switched to working in the SLP field since 2011 & was very briefly a SLP-A and and SLP for another 3 yrs. I actually wouldn't mind being a SLP-A rather than an SLP. I can just be told what to do w/ the kids & sometimes help do testing, but assessing, interpreting results, determining IEP goals, typing up reports & IEPs, & speaking at IEP meetings (which I esp. don't care for) wouldn't be my responsibilities, which I actually like the sound of more & more!

Moogeeg, that's great that your aunt's content.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 14, 2015

I've thought about doing that so many times! I've been "the" teacher for 5 years now (this is my 6th year), and sometimes I feel like stepping back and letting someone else take the lead! In fact, I'd probably be much more comfortable with being the aide/para.
    The only thing I'd hate is the paycut and the title (yes, I'm one of those people. I have a master's degree in education; I'd feel weird telling people I wasn't the lead teacher!)

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2015

Ms. I, from what you've said over the years, I've gathered that you aren't really a people person (I know you'd rather work from home by yourself instead of going to a job where you have colleagues), right?

czacza likes this.
  11. renard

renard Companion

Oct 14, 2015

Me!

There are a lot of pros. Much less paperwork, less stress, reduced hours, go home and no grading/lesson planning, positive 1:1 improvement is easier to see. I find boundaries are easier for me than non-teachers, actually! I understand my role better, I intuitively know when my help is needed, and I *appreciate* and respect their roles.

The cons are obvious, the pay is less but still reasonable (for me $20/hr and I can max out at $31/hr), physically hard for medically complex children, and not running your own ship.

I have a child with a moderate disability (autism) and I find the para role allows me to stay in my field without getting stressed out. It's too much to balance. I can be a great para or a burned out teacher and lousy mother.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2015

renard, I hear you! As we all know over & over again, money isn't everything. It's where you're happiest.

Yep, that's ideal & I've been able to do just that kind of work for the last 1.5 yrs. Last month, yes, I just got a job I have to commute to again (they sought me out, I didn't apply for it). It's just one day a week & the drive is several minutes away from me.