Anyone Watching "The Baby Borrowers?"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by INteacher, Jul 3, 2008.

1. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

Did anyone watch this last night?? It was on for 2 hours last night. The first hour was a repeat from last week and the last hour was the new show. I thought it was really a great show. It really showed the lack of maturity for a few of the kids. Next week they will be getting toddlers - :eek:

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I can't *wait* to see them with the toddlers. Whenever I have a student say, "Well, X just had a baby, and she's doing fine," I want to say, "well, wait until that baby turns 2..." Most of our students are gone by the time their babies become toddlers, so the younger girls never see that part.

4. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Love it, love it, love it. I think it should be required viewing for all teens! I'd like to sign my students up to participate!!!!!!!:p

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

Oh, and the young girl from Houston, Alicia, I believe, is just a mess! I can't imagine why anyone would date her after this show!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 3, 2008

I know - she's horrible :mad: You had to feel for her boyfriend getting up everytime with the baby in the middle of the night. I really enjoyed the talk her mom gave to her - just wondered if she listened. The couple I really like the most is Jordan and Sasha (?) them seem like really great kids esp. Jordan. His parents should be proud of him. The good news , except for the goofy girl that wouldn't wear the p.g. vest, they all seem to realize kids at their age is not such a good idea. I laughed OUT LOUD almost through the entire show. Bring on the toddlers :lol:

7. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

I like the fact that Kelly's attitude changed. She became so much more positive. She realized that just because a baby cramps your style doesn't mean you can walk away from it. Kelsey didn't do so hot, but she also realized she didn't want to have kids because it's hard work. Morgan had a horrible attitude and she was sooo rude to her mom. I couldn't imagine being that rude to my mom. Sasha was really great. One of the best in fact. Now Alicea, she's a different story. She had a horrible attitude the entire time. She didn't want to work; she didn't want to take of the child. I felt bad for her boyfriend because he was absolutely exhausted and she wouldn't help at all. She just laid around and slept and ignored the child. Then she had the nerve to say that she still wanted a child because it would be different with her own child (as though she would have this perfect miracle child who would never cry, poop or teeth). She shouldn't be allowed to have children until her attitude improves.

I can't wait to see her with the toddlers. She kept calling the baby a brat and complaining and cursing. Well now the kid will be able to talk and scream back!

8. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 3, 2008

Watched it last night for the first time... And to my surprise, I liked it. However, I don't know if I could allow my baby to stay with teens for 3 DAYS......even if I was across the street! Now when they were preschoolers, it would have been hilarious because my two would have eaten those teens alive!:toofunny::rofl:

9. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

I laughed the entire time - Can't wait till next weeks show

10. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

Preschoolers??? Wait until they get the pre-teens!!!! They'll give Alicea's attitude right back to her in spades. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!:lol:

11. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jul 3, 2008

Oh I know....I love it for sure!!! It's wonderful and some of the girls ( Alicea I mean ) are in over there heads and really need to re-evaluate their attitudes. I mean If I was Carson's mom I would've been over their in a heartbeat!! But Kudos to Sasha and Kelly and Daton and Austin. I was pretty impressed with some of the guys. They really stepped up and took the opportunity to learn from the experience. They showed real maturity!!

12. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 3, 2008

Yeah, it's really weird. The guys are really stepping up and some of them are better with the kids than the girls, even though the girls are the ones who want to have babies ASAP and swear that they're soooo good with kids.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 4, 2008

I swear, NONE of these girls has every babysat. I can't believe they all thought they were ready to have kids, because most of them don't have a CLUE. What a great way to give them a reality check!

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

I thought that same thing at first (That is if I had kids,which I don't),but The parents of the baby are right across the street and get to see the baby whenever they want on the tv and monitor whats going on plus they can step in at any time and get the baby if the need be. Plus there is a nanny shadowing them and if something goes/went wrong they would step in(in the event of an emergency only)! The show should wake up the teens!

15. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I can't wait to watch the episode when they care for teenagers.

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I really liked this show! I am glad that it is on- I feel bad because I read online that some of the parents of the babies were getting flack for letting their kids be on this show.

I read an interview that the parents of the baby w/ Jordan & Sasha did. They said that they could go over there whenever they wanted, and that they felt it was a very positive experience. Although they did say they felt that they were lucky to have their son with that couple.

17. SnoopyTeacher

SnoopyTeacher Companion

Jul 4, 2008

This is the best show! I cannot imagine turning my kid over to them. That would be too difficult to watch!!

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

I don't know if I could actually turn over my child but they do have a nanny in the house, cameras are on 24/7, parents are close, and it's only 3 days.

19. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

It may only be three days, but I'd be interested in knowing what the little boy's (Carson?) who was with Alicea first word will be! I think he learned a few new ones in those three days!!!!!!!!!:eek:

20. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

Me either :lol: :lol: Or when they get pre-teens with their siblings

21. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 5, 2008

I do really like this show. I do however, feel like they don't need to go past toddlers because what teenager will ever be raising another teenager? Seems weird to me that they will be caring for elderly people as well. But, all aside, I think it's a great show!

22. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

agree with you about the teenagers but they have to look at what the babies and preschoolers will turn into - do they really want a baby now and a teenager in 13 years???

23. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 5, 2008

That's true, makes sense when you think about it that way!

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 5, 2008

Overall, I like the show, it's interesting. They think the babies were hard!...those toddlers & teens will be a real headache!

That one girl from TX w/ the dark hair (forgot her name) who didn't want anything to do w/ the baby after the real mom critiqued her was so moody! She didn't want to take care of the baby or go to work. She needs to just go home now if she's not even going to try!

25. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2008

It could help them understand what they're like to their own families.

26. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 5, 2008

AMEN - you said it sista :lol: :lol:

27. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

I like this show but did it surprise anyone else that it showed the teenagers sleeping in the same bed together? I know they are going for the "reality" effect but it just surprised me.

28. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 6, 2008

I thought the same thing. I know I'm old fashion but that surprised me too.

29. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

They talked about that in the TV Guide review. They said that the producers were iffy on whether or not to do it because they're trying to promote waiting to make adult situations and sleeping in the same bed kind of contradicts it. However, they said that trying to create as real to reality they decided to go ahead and allow since a "real" couple wouldn't sleep in separate twin beds (hey, ricky and lucy seemed pretty in love to me. And how to little ricky make the scene if they were REALLY sleeping in separate beds?!) I guess the producers figured with all the camera and crew and with the parent surveillance cams and crying kids, the teens would be too stressed and exhausted to do anything.

30. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 7, 2008

Oh my goodness, I cannot stand this girl! I would hate to be her boyfriend and hate to be her child. Who on earth acts like that in front of a baby? Ugh! If I were that mom I would have taken my baby back after that first incident of the feeding and telling the baby to starve. :mad:

I don't know all of their names, but that couple who had the girl that wouldn't wear the baby belly, she's really immature. Although, she knew how to handle the baby pretty well. But she has a weird personality, it seems like she may only want a baby so she has someone who loves her unconditionally. I had a friend like that a while back, we're no longer friends and thankfully she doesn't have a baby yet, but she used to have some of the same personlity points as this young girl.

31. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Boy, I'm not sure. Teenagers. :huh:

32. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I hope, hope, hope that her boyfriend realizes how immature and selfish she is and cuts it off, graduates, goes to college and earns a degree before he gets that heavy again.:whistle:

33. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I agree about the kids sleeping together. Even if it is "realistic," I don't think it sends a good message to the kids watching! For some reason I got the impression that the African-American couple WASN'T sharing a bed...not sure why, maybe he said goodnight and left the room? Let's hear it for old-fashioned values! :)

34. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

I saw the first show and LOVED it! I completely forgot about it til I saw this thread. I'm looking forward to watching the brats take care of bratty teenagers and the elderly! :lol:

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

37. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

Is three days a long, extended amount of time- enough to cause harm for a baby or toddler? What about when parents leave baby with gramma or aunt? I know, gramma and aunt are familiar people. Thanks for posting the link though Ms.I. It was an interesting read.

38. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

hmm...that article was very interesting and it brought up good points. As teachers we're all at least familiar in passing with Piaget and Erikson. I hadn't stop to think whether or not this experiment would be affecting those babies 10 or 15 years down the line when no one understands while they're so emotionally detached from everything. Food for thought, definitely...

39. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

Last night was the toddlers-anyone catch it?

40. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

Yeah - I didn't think it was too interesting.

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2008

I DVR'd it, didn't watch yet.