Anyone watching American Idol?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Upsadaisy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010

My DVR didn't record it last night, and I'm not sure why... :(

2. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2010

As for Tuesday night....

I loved Andrew Garcia, who sang his own "Straight Up" version,
    DeeDee Banami, the waitress, who sang "Terrified", and
    the last one Crystal Bowersox, who sang "Natural Woman"

Let's see what tonight brings us.

3. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 10, 2010

Those were my top 3 as well. And in that order. Loved the first guy! Let's hope he continues to excel!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 10, 2010

I'm loving AI this year! The guy who sang "Straight Up"-I would buy that song on iTunes right now if I could! That was fabulous.

Personally, I think they are too generous in the group rounds. Let's be serious-some of these people are good singers, but don't have a chance to be the Idol. They only went from 96 to 71!

Love Ellen, although I didn't think I would. She was actually serious, and sounds intelligent. Makes Kara and Randy actually look more boring, which I didn't think was possible. And Simon is just amused-love him. When he's gone, I'm gone. The show is over, as far as I'm concerned!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 10, 2010

I agree with all of that.

6. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Feb 11, 2010

Loved that same guy myself, but was disappointed they didn't show that blond waitress, Didi something. Or did I miss it? I liked Mary, the single mom rocker chick, but she lost my vote last night after watching her work with her group. She was pretty arrogant.

Hey, I heard yesterday that they were considering Howard Stern as Simon's replacement.:down: Ugh, if that's the case I doubt I'll be watching AI anymore. Anyone else hear that?

7. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 11, 2010

I know they won't because they'll want someone like Simon who is blunt about his opinions, but I'd like if they just kept Ellen and didn't replace Simon. I don't think AI will last too long without Simon, anyway. I'm sure they want to find a replacement in the hopes they can prolong the show, but I just don't see that happening.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 11, 2010

The guy who sang "Straight Up" did not make the group rounds. Mary, the rocker just plain irritated me.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 11, 2010

Mary was way too pushy and cocky. Her group sounded awful.

They are still talking about Howard Stern being on. I can't stand to look at him, much less listen to him, so I think that would be it for me.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 11, 2010

I wouldn't listen or watch him or the Ozzbornes. I can't stand them.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 11, 2010

Was your service interrupted (ie, loss of electricity)? Do you have a conflict in your channel lineup (ie, something else recorded at that time)?

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 11, 2010

Thanks to DVR I can record it(I work 2nd job ) and can watch it when I get off work at 10 something at night!! :) Technology is great!! BTW!!

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 11, 2010

Yes, he did. His name is Andrew Garcia. There was a guy who looked a lot like him, with similar glasses, that maybe didn't.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 12, 2010

Thanks for telling me!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 12, 2010

There was another one...really close. The Garcia guy was more Hispanic descent & the other more caucasion...but it would be easy to mix them up with their thick glasses.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 25, 2010

OK, so my pick after both nights is still Andrew Garcia. Regardless of what the judges said! I thought he was awesome. They were hyping the girls, and I really didn't think any of them were very good. Ditto the boys. At least the fellas had some memorable moments. The girls were one big long blur...

I also thought Kara's behavior towards Casey James was reprehensible. Then to sit there and say "I'm married!". Act like it, honey. I found it hilarious that Ellen had to apologize for the distractions. Control yourself! This is your job! He was good, and will likely go far, but are we really going to have to sit through Kara hyperventilating every time he comes to the stage? Blech. Poor Ellen. Talk about awkward for her-she is likely not attracted to him (obviously), and ends up looking like a heel. Blech again.

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010

I missed the whole show! Darn; any chance of it repeating? My husband who is not an Ellen fan happened to see the segment with Kara and thought she acted inappropriately, to put it mildly. :eek:

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 25, 2010

I am not really excited about this season. None of the performers seem as good as those from the last two seasons. I think one year they need to open it back up to everyone (who hasn't had a hit single or won an Oscar) and let people who made it through Hollywood in years past come back on. It could be really fun to see how all the different seasons' contestants would do against each other.

19. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 25, 2010

I thought most of the singing was horrible. Wow-I am hoping it had to do with first night jitters and the singers will improve each week. The judges usually do a pretty good job of knowing who will be able to grow during the show. I agree about the girls--so many look and sound alike! I think the guys did better, and I also think Cara's behavior toward Casey James was so unfair to him. He was trying to sing, and she was being a dolt. And for her to call him "eye-candy"!! Even so, I thought he did one of the best jobs last night.

20. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 25, 2010

Great idea! I agree, this year doesn't sound too good so far. A much better idea would be to bring back some oldies who did well and have them compete. That would be a GREAT season of American Idol!

I also thought some of the comments last night were inappropriate for a show that young children/middle schoolers watch. If I had a child of my own, I would have turned the channel after some comments were made.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 25, 2010

Oh those Kara histrionics and fauning over Casey were just disgusting. Act your age, lady.

I don't know if it was the new setup of the show or what, but I thought both nights were horrible. Even Simon doesn't seem like himself. I don't know if he's toning it down because of Ellen being there, or because he knows he won't be back next year or what.

Too many of the contestants, male and female, sounded like laid back Indie types and it didn't come across well at all.

And what is it with these people who think they are stars before they've even accomplished anything? Where do they get their egos? They were either too timid or overly self-assured, with few seeming ready to take direction.

And I had listened to Carrie Underwood's new CD before watching the show. Now, she was a star from the first note she sang.

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2010

I wasn't real impressed with anyone either. The whole Casey thing needs to be dropped!!!

I do, however, enjoy Ellen as a judge. I think she says a lot of what "people' are thinking.

I thought the 1st kid last nite made his song his own & did pretty well... I couldn't believe when they were so hard on him. Also the 16 yr old Aaron (sp?) sang Rascal Flatts... He was making my ears hurt with a lot of his notes & Simon said one of his best performances!!! UGH!!! YOu can't please them

I'm not really into this year like previous years. Last year after the auditions I had a fav...this year not so much.

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2010

I missed the women and the men were so terrible that we stopped watching it. I sure hope that they get better.

24. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 25, 2010

Personally, I don't like Ellen as a judge. Her critiques are not really useful to the contestants. She repeats her comments and she tells just about everyone that they're great.

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Feb 26, 2010

I agree, EDUK8 ME. If she said 'great' one more time......Grrr.
    She also said people were cute, the girls would vote for them, but not alot about their singing ability. I guess that is why they really needed to have someone who knows more about actual singing talent. I like Ellen, but not at this stage of the game. Just my opinion.

26. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2010

She also sounded like she was trying to stretch out her on-camera time to sound legitimate or something. Which didn't work.

Who was voted off this week?

27. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 26, 2010

Janell Wheeler (sang "What About Love"), Ashley Rodriguez ("Happy"), Tyler Grady ("American Woman"), and Joe Munoz ("You and I Both").

Only one I disagreed with was Joe...didn't think he'd get into the Top 12 but I thought he was definitely better than Tim Urban.

28. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 26, 2010

I like Tyler Grady. I agree he's been a little repetitive but I would liked to have heard him after he received that particular criticism.

The Casey thing didn't bother me as long as they don't keep going with it. I have to say he never impressed me much until last night. That was my favorite men's song from this week.

Anyone think Garcia's (?) song choice was really inappropriate for this show? My husband actually made our son skip listening to it and he doesn't usually censor things. It annoyed him enough to go from being his biggest fan to thinking he should be voted off.

29. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Feb 26, 2010

I've never understood the lyrics of the chorus until he sang it, and even then I still had to look them up to see what was inappropriate in the verses, lol. How old is your son?

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2010

My son is 10. I just watched last week's male singers. I'm behind. This time Lee Dewyze sang really good but did he have to sing a very obvious choice about being unfaithful? This show used to be cleaner. In some years there might be a song or two at most that I cringe at for some reason. This year it is more often and we haven't even started. I also thought the boy that sang, "My Girl" was actually pretty good. He was clear. There is something lacking in his squinty little eyes though. He put more in his performance but it isn't quite there for me. Casey is actually becoming a good singer for me but this week it was more about the guitar (though...wow) than the singing. Garcia isn't living up to his Hollywood week though I thought it was better than last week and still pretty good. The rest I have already forgotten.

31. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

I actually enjoyed watching the girls' show last night. For the first time this season, I am thinking that, yeah, I just may go to the concert this summer after all.

I'm not too good with the names, but I thought the first girl looked scared to death and Paige's version of Smile was too depressing.

I love Dede Benami and was glad she did so well (I was really rooting for her!). also, Lily did ok, although that wasn't her best performance, the girl with the short red hair finally found a perfect song to sing and Sioban is fantastic every time.

I was never a Crystal Bowersox fan, but she is beginning to grow on me. Every week she is solid, and every week her appearance gets better. Someone has done a good job of "cleaning her up!"

After everyone sings, I can't help myself, I start critiquing. My kids laugh at me, but I often say exactly what one of the judges will say. Not because I am a great critic, but mostly because the judges can be so predictable!

32. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 11, 2010

All I can think this season is that out of the tens of thousands of people that auditioned THIS was the best they could get? Not feeling this season at all!

33. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 11, 2010

I know. I see better talent than some of these kids (especially the younger ones) each day at my high school drama practices. Another season like this, and the show will be done for sure.

34. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2010

TBelle
    We were cheering for Didi. Although she reminds me of Megan (bird girl) last year. I think Didi has a better not as nasal-y as Megan.
    I still like that Siobahn for some reason.
    The guys were ok. I think that Big Mike was pretty good (really didn't understand all the tears from Kara...what's up with that dawg?!?) Casey was alright (NO KEITH though). I am growing to like teh Tim Urban & the kid with the mullet. I think that Aaron the young one might go. I actually agreed with Kara on that why is a 16 yr old singing about being a dad missing his family?!? Andrew Garcia is holding onto straws... I mean was the song he sang last nite like the Straight Up, but with different words?!?! It was just weird.... I was hoping he'd be really good.
    Hubby & I critique but usually the ones we like the judges don't & we know it when we do the critiquing.

35. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2010

I liked Big Mike's "performance", but I didn't understand the words. What was the song? I guess I can look up the lyrics, and then go back and decipher it.

36. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

I agree with just about all you said, DizneeTeach. I haven't voted this year, so I won't complain (too much) but am so sad to see Lily gone. Like she said, What does America want anyway? Lily and the kid with the mullet were definately not the least talented in the group. I think Garcia and the cute little dark-haired girl should have gone instead.

Didn't appreciate sitting there waching Kara's crocodile tears either. Give me a break!

37. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 12, 2010

I agree with Tbelle1035, Lily and Aaron? mullet hair should have stayed....and what is going on with Kara this year? hugging up to Simon, not what I watch Idol for.

38. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 12, 2010

Oh! one more thing....what was happening with Crystal Bowersox last night...she didn't look well or react well to being told that she was in the top 12. I know she has diabetes and wonder if she is having trouble. I do like her and hope she stays.

39. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2010

Gigi... I noticed about Crystal as well. She just seemed "there".
    I thought Alex (mullet should've stayed). I think Aaron should have left & I was surprised Paige stayed...
    I don't know I just don't like this group as a whole like I've liked other groups. I don't have a strong favorite.
    It was nice to see Matt G (wish he had some music out) & Scott...they did that song on tour!!!

40. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 12, 2010

I just assumed Crystal just disliked the whole process of people being let go. But of course, that should have been no surprise. Someone once compared her to Bob Dylan in her style, and I agree somewhat. She certainly marches to her own drummer.