Anyone want to move to CA and help open a school.....?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Oct 17, 2008.

1. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Oct 20, 2008

I remember this when shopping around for first-year schools. Florida was insanely cheap. I suppose the good news is that the cost of living outside of the cities is relatively low (a friend of mine has a beachfront apartment for 1k/mo), but I don't think the differential is significant. With an MS teaching high school, I barely broke 40 in FL on my offers.

2. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Oct 20, 2008

I was thinking about doing an after-school program startup myself based around audio production and modern music. I dropped the ball while taking care of other things, but one day I might go back to it...

3. senseijoao

senseijoao Rookie

Oct 20, 2008

4. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Oct 23, 2008

How are plans for the school going? I am hoping that they are going well for you. I give you credit as I wouldn't be able to take such a risk. Still, you may end up with quite a reward!

Are you still thinking about not having a principal? I was just curious how that would work? Take Care!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 23, 2008

Plans are going really well, actually! I've found a team teacher, and both the business plan and cirriculum plan are rolling along. We have a lawyer looking at the paperwork, and I'm currently making a list of expenses so we can begin looking at our operating budget. I'll keep you guys posted!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 21, 2012

"Jem" and others, I know it is odd that I am bringing this post back to life. I conducted a search trying to see what this forum had to say about teachers desiring to open their own schools.

I have been contemplating a lot about this lately and do not want to become disillusioned by any means. Probably over the course of the past few years, I have had this dream and am in the works of thinking about some wonderful ideas.

It may take me five or more years to officially research every aspect, but I am a very methodical person and will research over fifty successful schools (visiting at least ten within the state). I will pick their brains and remember all that was mentioned at this forum. If it takes longer (or shorter, or never), then that is its will. Of course I have been envisioning what the curriculum would be like (most likely private, with a strong correlation to state standards and Common Core standards, with inquiry and a great structure for preparedness, but just a sensible, common-sense approach), but I am also thinking about stakeholders, committees, as well as salary. I know I would need a nurse, a few strong assistants, a technology person, and a highly experienced, fantastic and dedicated staff who would be committed to providing a world-class K-8 education.

In that sense, five years may be realistic. Additionally, I know I can receive my Masters degree by then. Eventually, I would follow through with my lifelong dreams of obtaining my Doctorate (after starting the school); it's just money right now, which is an issue for all. Perhaps the economy will improve a tad in the next five years as well. I can use this time to potentially garner support from outside sources, people who share my vision.

From what I have figured out so far, I desire:
    - A focus on media production and communication.
    - A school that can start with a strong inquiry-based education and eventually (after at least five years of being open) IB status for the 6-8 program.
    - Math Exemplars program for K-8.
    - A strong workshop approach to reading and writing where students learn numerous kinds of writing, have international pen pals, and have access to all kinds of literature.
    - A strong correlation between K-2, 3-5, and 6-8 programs.
    - Obviously, before and after school care as well as organizations.
    - A "green" environment with an organic greenhouse.

Luckily, I have a cousin who opened a Montessori school in New Hampshire around the time I started teaching (eight years ago). I also know numerous people in education and tremendous educators/people vested in education from around the nation. I know there are numerous people who can offer great support (and encourage me greatly as I pursue my Master's, which needs to start sooner or later).

Hmm. "Jem", this post (as well as all responses) got me thinking. The biggest thing: being realistic and sensible, getting a lot of input from people from all walks of life. Even business owners, some being my own friends or family with wonderful experience. I may extend my research to looking at numerous successful business models.

I also liked seeing my response from almost 3 1/2 years ago. I asked some thoughtful questions. Now I need to find the post where I brought up starting my own school a few years back. I am curious.

7. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 23, 2012

Ooooh. I didn't want to teach in California schools, but maybe I should encourage my boyfriend to take a San Francisco job. Fantastic!

http://www.thesciencepenguin.com

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2012

Have you checked the stats if cutbacks and numbers of seasoned tenured teacher's currently without jobs in Cali?

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 23, 2012

Interesting to see this thread again! The team teacher I was working with was Miss Froggy, and she had excellent ideas. In fact, she's successfully opening her own special place this summer.

My thoughts on the type of school I want have evolved the more I learn about myself as an educator, business woman and wife. I've gone from wanting a multi-year, large scale school to a smaller enrichment program. I want it to be an area that homeschool students can study during the day, and public/private school students can gather in the afternoons.

I know that I do not want to be in charge of an all-day program, that I want to be able to switch between topics quickly and that I want to work mostly in the later part of the day. This makes a study house more realistic than a full time school. My idea is to open it when we finally move down to Pacific Grove, dh's home town. He fully supports finding an old Victorian to rent and turning it in to a cozy place full of books, science materials and a roving bunny. ;) Probably in the next 3 years, although we really have no timeline.

Taking your time to really understand your strengths and weaknesses and what your lifestyle can support is important. At this point, it would be insane for me to juggle being a director of a school, teacher in one of the classrooms, motherhood, and Sprout. I want a really laid back atmosphere. But there are people that thrive on high pressure, time consuming careers their whole life. I always thought that would be me, too! Funny how you change!

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jan 23, 2012

I've definitely changed a lot since starting the plans for my own school. I have figured out a specific vision for the school that is feasible and relevant for students in grades K-8. Something that stands out and may really captivate the kids. Most likely, I want to open a charter school. I do not mind my school being accepted by officials and the children having to take standardized tests. Everything will fall into place, and standards will be reviewed at my school, but things will be approached in a creative manner.

Sure, it's going to take a while. I don't mind that at all. I am going to research a great deal, garner a lot of support, and gather input from numerous individuals. I know over the summer, I can begin delving into this idea in-depth (and then it will take some summers to keep delving).

It is really neat about MissFroggy opening her own special place. I was not aware of that at all!

11. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 24, 2012

I don't know stats, but I'm aware of the issues.