Anyone want to join in? "To Do" List for August 1-7 :)

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by mom2mikey, Aug 1, 2010.

1. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

Its August and for me that means that I need to start to come up with concrete things rather than just ideas and research. I still have four weeks until the student's first day and just over 3 weeks until our staff days begin. I have enough time to get it all done but I have to start now. So its list time and I figure I will break it down by week.

I am wondering if anyone wants to join me in weekly threads posting what we want to do for the week and then adding in updates when we start checking things off our lists. If you want to join, jump right in. :whistle:

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 1, 2010

Here is my list for the week. I probably won't be in my room much this week but want to make sure I have everything ready to go so that when I go in the following week I can put things together.

- buy material to cover shelves and bulletin boards
    - put together materials for "Welcome Back Bulliten" Board
    - put together materials for Staff Information Bulliten Board
    - finish writing and mail out my parent package (includes a general outline of the year, supply list, and a load of forms that parents need to complete)
    - finish putting together all the student's personal color coded materials (almost done just a few things left here - thanks for the suggestion)
    - finish organizing any binders that are not yet organized (there are several of them as I am getting two new students)
    - finish visual routines and job cards that I'm currently working on (laminate and have ready to go up)
    - individual programming binders times 3 - this means having all activities outlined, IPP summaries done and tracking forms ready to go :)

Wow... and this is three weeks away! YIKES!

4. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

- Powerpoints for spelling lessons (2 done so far!)
    - Type up the rest of my reading lessons for our reading program
    - Finish job chart
    - Come up with a fun project for each SS/Science unit of study
    - Try to get into my room to arrange furniture
    - Buy new bookshelf
    - Decide on schedule for morning reading block (can't decide between two formats!)
    - Buy storage tubs for math workshop activities (done today!)
    - Clothes for trip to AZ (done today!)

Lots to do... and I don't even want to think about everything that I have to do when I go into my room in a few weeks!

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 1, 2010

I'm not certain what I will find when I get to school so I might end up putting more things on my list.

Tues:
    * Carry in all my things from my trunk to be put away.
    * Take before pictures of my room (I always forget to do this)
    * Get in room and begin thinking about room arrangement. Getting a student with a wheelchair this year so things must be accessible and not interferring with his aide's manueverability.
    * Unpack new materials if they've arrived, sort them by teacher, and deliver to owner.
    * Start cleaning and arranging.
    Wed:
    * Meet with colleague to start brainstorming some goal ideas and grade categories
    * Start assembling student documentation binders

I always want to have a concrete plan before I get to my room, and then I end up pulling out everything from my closets & shelves. I'm a 'it gets worse before it gets better' person!

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

With only a couple of days left on this week I still have a load of this left to do. Have to get cracking the next couple of days :).

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 5, 2010

- Get motivated.
    - Stop being jealous of P2BAT for having family that live in the Caribbean.

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

help my oldest pack for college...she seems to think she can do it all in one day....and I'm going to let her...

pack my stuff for a week trip to my mom's house....
    go to my mom's house

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

Haha--my son started packing the night before he left for university, and finished as we were loading up the van!

10. jadepnai

jadepnai Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

I thought about coming in a day early and working in my classroom, but I realize I don't have much things in my classroom. Setting up my posters and arranging the desks will just take me less than an hour. I already started making my lesson plans and emergency plan. I plan on putting together my IEPS in one binder hopefully by next week. I think the one thing that will be a little bit more time consuming is my two bulletin board.In which, I think I'll most likely put the background cover and borders only but not put up my word wall and decoration. I do need to save something for my teacher assistant to do. Hopefully she can get the bulletin done. I mean you would think a week is more than 10X times enough time since teacher assistants don't sit in training class for the whole week during staff week. But you will be so amaze what kind of teacher assistant I have. She is beyond the laziest teacher assistant I have ever worked with. Its just unbelievable! I might as well not have one. Trust me I rather not have one. Your probably wondering," Have I tried talking to her about being so unproductive or giving her list of to do list?" Done that. She still can't complete the easy list of tasks. When you try talking to her, its like talking to a child who throws temper tantrums. I also shared my input with my assistant principal and principal, but it doesn't seem like nothing can be done. I guess its hard to get rid or or transfer a TA who's been around for 20 yrs.Regardless if so many teachers have made many complaints about her. Go figure????????

11. specialeduc8tor

specialeduc8tor Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

Buy plan book
    Get red cloth background for bulletin board
    Finish writing first week lesson plans
    Get massage
    Throw stuff at the "back-to-school" commercials :O)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2010

A little late in the game...

today:
    buy gift for niece's bdaydone
    make reservations for dinner tonightdone
    lunch at mom's done
    floating in friend's poolgoing now
    food storedone
    laundryis laundry ever REALLY done?
    dinner tonightdone- fun!

tomorrow:
    eyebrow waxing
    make nail appt for next week
    preliminary packing for vaca later in week
    organizing/shopping for son's return to college
    ALL DONE...Now working on this week's list!!
    Can you tell I don't start school for a month yet?:cool:

13. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I like this game:

-Finish my "continents" morning meeting label activity
    -Finish skills check binders for each student
    -Continue to complete my TTAP assessment kit (building my own kit!)
    -Laminate and velcro my "important people" morning meeting activity
    -Start to assemble morning focus books
    -Continue lesson plans

Things I finished this morning:
    -Assessment sheets with all IEP goals for each student
    -Emergency info cards for community
    -Laminated SRA Math progress cards
    -Cut out continent label pieces
    -Created a one-page grid that shows shorthand of every IEP goal for every student for every subject (it's just easier to look at than flipping through 8 thirty page IEPs)

Oh, and I am supposed to get the groceries and go to the post office before I pick my husband up at 5 - then we go to a baseball game. :cool:

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

And, surprise surprise, my to do list grew a bit once I got into my room. I have a page and a half in my notebook at school...I'm really hoping to get my room finished in the 3 days I have next week, so I can actually have a week to relax before school starts. My personal to do list is also growing: school shopping tomorrow & wedding shopping (my nephew is getting married on the 21).

15. lovemyjob

lovemyjob Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

Right there with ya :p My soon to be first grader loves those commercials and sings along. She's counting down the days to school. Atleast I know she loved kindergarten to be that excited to go back to school. Thank you Mrs. Fisch:love:

16. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Oh my... look at all of you getting things done! I still can't really check anything off my list although I'm getting closer. I'm blaming some of it on printer problems though.

I have been very productive today (even school relatead) but it was really nothing on my list - lol.

Here is what I worked on today (and will work on in to the evening I'm sure): http://redlights.typepad.com/buildi...-phonics-workbook-interactive-activities.html

17. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 6, 2010

-Finish sending Zoom everything I have on my computer so she'll leave me the h#!! alone

:p

18. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

LOL Zoom - it makes it so much more worth the time that one puts in if other people can also use the materials for their students :).

19. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 7, 2010

Well I got my ink for my printer and was able to get going on a bunch of stuff today. Still not nearly done this list and some will have to carry over but I'm going to do my done/not done all the same...

Thanks to all who joined in. I'm up for another round starting tomorrow. This time I have two wonderful kidless days to play with :).

20. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2010

I'm down for a new list. :) I MUST be more efficient and productive this week!!!

I'm also going to the dr for a preconception consultation...
    So that's exciting!

21. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Aug 8, 2010

Oooooh, sk! Exciting!! Good luck at doctor's!! Maybe if all goes well, you'll get a baby due in April or May (nice extended maternity leave, haha).