Anyone wanna take a 'baby step' with me?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by zoerba, Jul 9, 2006.

1. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

Hello and Good morning to all!

This is it. I have to lose weight! NOW!

Hmm....this has been the hot topic for 6 years now, well, wait...make that my entire life. :rolleyes:

I have tried everything, and I ALWAYS succeed (yes, you heard me right), but then I always gain all the weight back. Last summer I lost 40 pounds on weight watchers and was feeling HOT, HOT, HOT in my size 12's! :D But, with this last year's student teaching and absolutely wild schedule, I slowly gained it all back.

So, here I am, 23, 5' to 5'1 and weighing over 200 pounds. It's a scary thing to say, but it's true. I'm between a size 14 and 18 depending on the brand. I don't really feel FAT, and I'm told I hide my weight well...but it's another story when I go clothes shopping. I can't find anything that fits. In addition, I miss all the energy I used to have.

So, I'm starting TODAY. My plan is to ease myself into it, using small baby steps. (I've found this works so much better than trying to do everything at once).

My goal is to simply drink 8 glasses of water a day and eat no fast food for the next week.

I know I can do it! Anyone else want to join in and take a 'baby step' this week?

Chenelle

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 9, 2006

Chenelle, that is the best way to do it! The less drastically you change your life, the easier it is going to be to stick to it.
    Since March my boyfriend has lost 45lbs. He is not one to stick to a diet so basically we just became very aware of what we were eating. Here's what we did.
    1. I stopped buying soda. I buy Coke and Sprite Zero that we drink sometimes with dinner, but mostly we drink flavored water (from Walmart) and Crystal Light (Raspberry Ice and Lemonade-yum!)
    2. We stopped eating fast food altogether and only really go out to eat once a week.
    3. I started paying attention to the intended portions sizes at dinner (rice, pasta, etc..)
    4. We bought and eliptical machine and started working out.
    5. We started bringing lunch to work everyday so that he wouldn't eat out.

That's about it! None of it was drastic so we've been able to stick with it for 4 months now and plan to keep it up indefinitely! :)

I just wanted to post to give you some encouragement. Good luck!!

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 9, 2006

Chenelle,

I have sent you a PM.

5. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

I joined Weight Watchers last month, and I've lost 12 pounds so far. Basically, I am on my eliptical everyday, I drink a lot of water, smaller proportions, no fast food, and I drink 1 diet Sunkist a day. I hope I can stick to it until December. You CAN DO IT!!! Just remember to be strong!! My deal was I ate when I got bored. So, now I just have to get up and find something to do when I'm bored, go outside usually. Good luck and stay strong!!

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 9, 2006

I dropped a few pounds when I was told I was diabetic (I must say I'm not doing as well as then). But switching to diet pop and using splenda in my iced tea has been one small step for me. If you feel like your on a diet the weight will always come back to you.

Good luck, keep us up dated on how your doing.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

ABall, I gained back everything I had lost and more. It is a bad situation ... I've just upped the meds.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

Me and my husband are doing similar to what Beth mentions.... first, I do the majority of my food shopping in the outer aisles of the store. The fruits, vegetables, and dairy sections. Every night for dinner we have a salad, and a vegetable, and I either fill in with a meat or fish for protein. Once a week we treat ourselves to pizza. Not a whole pie, just a slice or two for each so we are not tempted.
    Like Beth, we no longer drink soda. Crystal Light is our drink of choice as is green tea. I carry a water bottle with green tea to work. Lunch is usually a salad. My hubby prefers cottage cheese ( I can't stand it)

Moderation is key. Honestly, making small changes to your diet will certainly give you the results you seek. You will begin to have more energy soon.

I take a multivitamin also. I highly recommend it.

You can do it....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

To make sure you don't gain it back, you need to make sure that it's actually a life style change for you. It's okay to treat yourself every now and then, but what I'm learning is it's truly a lifestyle change. I have started working out everyday, and now I'm addicted to it.

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 9, 2006

For a sweet kick, there is a sugar free popscicle made in cherry grape and orange flavor. Also tropical flavors, and fudge, and creamscicles. Now they make the same brand with root beer, crush, and mr. pibb!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 9, 2006

I'm doing the French don't Diet plan and have lost about 8 pounds since the beginning of June. Basically it boils down to eat healthy, cut out preservatives, cut out artificial sweeteners (yes, real sugar is ok) and anything with high fructose corn syrup. Excercise is good, but the gym/workout everyday is not necessary. Just walking around the park or mall counts! It's a lifestyle change, but You get to eat chocolate and ice cream so it's not that bad! I love it. I don't stick to it as faithfully as the book says (that would be all organic which I can't afford) but it is still working.!:D

12. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

Hi you guys, I am also on a diet, I had a baby last year and now I ma left with 20 pounds to lose. A friend of mine came across this website http://sparkpeople.com/ and it is free. She has lost 30 pounds and now I am on it. I feel good, energetic and I am still eating the same stuff...

check it out you will not regret it..

13. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

Thanks for the support everyone! It's nice to see I'm not the only one battling this problem!

I also drink a lot of crystal light. Although it is expensive, it's a great alternative to soda or water. I think from all my years of yo-yo dieting I know a lot of little tricks and tips. I know exactly what I should be doing, I just have to do it!

Well, I jumped on the scale this morning as my official 'before' weigh in. It read 202.5. I have to be honest and say that I though I weighed a bit more so, already, I'm happy!

I'll check in tonight with everyone. Good luck to all!

Chenelle

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 9, 2006

fitday.com is a website that allows you to track your intake of food. you can use it as a food diary...

15. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 10, 2006

Upsidaisy, I go for blood work again on the 14th, I already take so much meds, I hope I don't have to up them, as my 5 yo. would say my doctor's going to "lell at me".

16. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2006

I went to the gym today and lifted weights and did cardio for 30 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta either lose weight or buy a whole new wardrobe!!!!

17. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jul 12, 2006

lol... I was just going to suggest it. I just found it an am loving it; especially since you can track your calories there. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

18. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 12, 2006

Drink plenty of water.

19. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 13, 2006

Hey everyone! Well, the last 3 days I was on a vacation to Seward, AK - it was awesome! Although, perhaps not the best circumstances for dieting. I did my best to eat healthy, but wasn't perfect. =)

Tomorrow is a new day! I'm gonna be BACK ON TRACK!!

Chenelle

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2006

I need help trying to give up breads.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2006

Checked this out and signed up this morning. Guess it's time (again) to lose some weight. I like what this site has to offer, and you can't beat the price! I'm sitting here drinking water, wishing for chocolate, and deciding on munching on green pepper instead :confused: One day at a time...

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2006

Good luck Mrs. C,

I just started "my new life" on Monday. The only treat I get is one of those 100 calorie Nabisco packs each day. No soda (POP! for us Canadians :)) and at least 8 glasses of water. I joined a 5 morning a week work out group and have been watching my calories. I found it easier to eat the same main courses for a few days than cooking everyday. I hate cooking! The change must have been a huge shock to my system and I have lost 5 lbs so far. I know next week will be a lot less but what a morale booster! I joined sparkpeople.com and it figured out that I should be at my ideal weight in April. A long way off, but I am going to do it --I think.... :)

23. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

WOW! That is awesome that you've already lost 5 pounds! *cheering!*

I need to get serious. I am so embedded into my habits and routines that I'm finding it difficult to stay on track. It seems like whenever I have a set routine (like at school) I can track my eating. But this summer I have no routine, get bored, and eat! It stinks! I have been making an effort to drink more water, but that's about it. My recent vacation didn't make things any easier either. =)

I'll get there in time. Maybe your success will rub off on me!

Chenelle

24. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

I know what you mean about summer being so hard with no routine. I just wish the weightloss fairy would show up and tap me a few times.

I went to that Spark People web sight and started signing up. Ohhh, accountability, that hurts. We'll see how it goes.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

If you see that weightloss fairy please send her my way!

26. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

What is the easiest way to input your own exercises into sparkpeople? I had a really hard time with it two nights ago and haven't tried since.

27. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

Great topic zoerba! Well I lost a lot on Weight Watchers too. I haven't gained it all back, but if I don't watch it I'm well on my way! My biggest downfall is probably fast food and late night snacking. I also don't have much of a social life and sometimes eat out of boredom. I don't want to lie and say I'll take baby steps with you over the next week because I'm going on vacation and you know how that is :). What I'll do instead is crawl, lol. How 'bout givin' up one thing? No sweets from now until when I leave for my trip (7/20).

I have another related question though. My school day is from 7:30 to 1:45 with only a 20 minute lunch around 11:00 (too early for my taste, pun intended). My school also doesn't have a refrigerator/freezer for teachers (yes it's true)!! Frozen entrees (Smart Ones, Lean Cuisines etc.), cabbage soup, and veggies are therefore out of the question. Any suggestions on getting through the day without being so famished that I hit the nearest drive-thru on the way home?

28. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2006

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 15, 2006

How about investing in one of those small, inexpensive dorm refrigerators? Or better yet, get your staff behind you and request that the principal use some funds (or your parent organization) to buy one for the building. I am at school by 7:15 and don't have lunch until 12:15, so I often take a low-fat yogurt to eat in the morning; it really curbs my appetite. When I feel the need to have a little more, I toss a handful of Grape Nuts cereal in the yogurt and it helps even more.

30. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

I would be so frustrated if there wasn't a refridgerator in my school! I got lucky last year, my host teacher had one right in the classroom. Do you have access to a microwave? If you do, then you can have soups, etc. Also, there were several times when my lean cuisines defrosted, and they turned out just find. =)

As for how to avoid those fast food trips, maybe try keeping some food in your car at all times. You could put crackers, fruit, veggies, nuts, some water/juice. If you want to get a cooler you could even put fruit, yogurt, etc. in there! Then you could eat these things right after school - keeping you from swinging by the fast food.

For me, personally, I think fast food is addictive. Even when I have healthier options I will crave the burger/fries. The only way to get out of this is to just stop eating fast food! I've been doing pretty good lately, especially since I am DIRT POOR! I am actually selling all of my accumulated textbooks on ebay because I cannot afford to pay my bills! (**** that full year internship where I couldn't work!)

Chenelle

31. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Jul 15, 2006

My boss was diagnosed with diabetes last year--I didn't even think he was overweight! He said he stopped eating at night and lost 20 lbs! He doesn't even have the diabetes any more!

This next thought you can just take it or leave it. I'm just throwing it out there. You'd said "I don't really feel FAT". I had a boss that had lived through an extremely traumatic event--her husband was hit by a drunk driver when she had two toddlers. She cared for him for several years but finally had to put him in a facility. Over time she just kept putting on weight. She said she hadn't really thought about her size. It wasn't until she actually admitted that she was overweight that she could really do something about it (someone made a comment about her size). It just seemed like she hadn't realized she was overweight. When it was pointed out to her she accepted it and was forced to do something about it.

32. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Well, I'm not in denial - I definately know that I'm fat! LOL! Sometimes I just don't feel like it. Maybe that sounds weird, but it makes sense in my twisted brain. :) Anyhow, I've been doing pretty good lately - making sure I'm eating healthier foods and such. I still need to get more exercise, but I'm focusing on little things at a time.

33. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2006

I ate out of boredom yesterday but I am trying not to feel guilty. I have been so good for 5 days, only allowing myself 1 of those Nabisco 100 calorie snacks. Well...yesterday I had 3 spareribs, a snack size of Corn chips and a diet Dr. Pepper for dinner (I have been eyeballing these all week). I know that I should not feel guilty because if I was on Weight Watchers I could have eaten these and been within my daily points. This is the last of the junk food in my place other than the french fries in my freezer, so nothing else should be "calling my name" from my kitchen :D . I am also trying get rid of my guilty feelings because when I feel guilty I usually just give up and quit tring any type of healthy lifestyle.

34. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 16, 2006

Do not give up! Every meal and every bite counts
    what you put into your mouth will effect your entire body
    Find the consistency that you crave (which is a head thing not a body demand) and create healthy alternatives to eat: example... crunchy- eat carrots
    creamy- eat soft cheese
    sweet- eat a small apple

Do not skip meals, you need to increase your activity level in conjunction with eating in moderation. Drink WATER= flavor it if you cant stomach water but stay off the coffee and soda.

35. Ms. CTP

Ms. CTP Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Thank you! We're not allowed to have those little refrigerators in our rooms (believe me, I thought about it), but you offered some other very good suggestions!

36. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I'll join you. :)

I lost about 60 lbs (from 175 to 115) about 2 years ago and this summer I have noticed that I am putting weight back on (I am up to about 127) and that I am having a hard time putting my clothes on (and when I do they are riding up in uncomfortable areas!) and so I know it is time to watch what I eat.

Instead of watching calories, I watch my sodium intake (some health concerns caused this) and I noticed that my food is so restricted by sodium that it makes calorie counting unnecessary.

My goal is to be back down to 115 by November (that would be at losing about 4 pounds a month). So, I see it as doable.

I know it seems piddly to worry about weighing 130 pounds - but I have learned through the years that it is easier to nip when it is just 10 pounds than when it is 40!

This week I think I am going to start by writing down everything I eat - it helps me be mindful that those peanut butter crackers really do have 500mg of sodium!

~J

37. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2006

My goal every summer is to lose weight, and usually I do. The problem is that I put it back on during the school year. Even though I try to stay away from junk food, lounge treats, fast food, etc. I always end up gaining what I lost and then some. I want this school year to be different.

38. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Runs with scissors - I am the same way. I usually always lose weight in the summer because then I can entirely focus on that one thing - losing weight. Then when school comes back around I tend to focus on school, and put the healthy eating to the wayside. I am one of those people who put all my time and attention on one major thing at a time. I have to admit though, that I actually think it will be easier for me to lose and keep off weight while teaching (if I ever get a job) because 1. there is a routine 2. I will eat healthy to model it to my students 3. I will be working so much that I won't have time to snack 4. I will be on my feet all day (every bit of exercise counts!), and 5. Maybe there will be a group of teachers who want to exercise after school. :)

Proud2BATeacher - maybe instead of only allowing yourself one of those nabisco snacks as a treat everyday, get a small tub (like the size of a shoebox) and put a variety of snacks you could choose from. That way, you aren't limiting yourself. When you want to have that daily snack, you have a choice of things. Make sure you put some sweet, salty, crunchy, creamy, etc. options in there. Here are some suggestions:
    snack size microwavable popcorn
    baked chips (I love the baked BBQ)
    nutrigrain bars
    WW or similar cookies
    sugar free pudding cups
    jello
    fun size candy bars

Just a few suggestions! Oh, and I didnt think you're dinner was TOO bad. At least you had diet soda and a snack size chip. Although I agree with mommaruthie that every meal and bite counts! That's why it's so good to journal - sometimes we don't realize all the 'grazing and picking' we do throughout the day. Those calories can really add up!!!

As for me - I'm doing pretty good. I have been drinking more water - and when I get hungry inbetween meals I am eating fruit. I am also being more conscious about my food choices. I have lost the 2 pounds I gained from my mini-vacation. Yay! So, now I'm back down to 'starting' weight. LOL!

Chenelle

39. Holpea

Holpea Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

Hey!

I just wanted to share my all time favorite summer dinner, and it's super healthy!

Start buy cutting up a ton of veggies (summer squash, onions, peppers, cucumber, etc) and putting them on skewers. Brush a little olive oil over them. Peel some ears of corn and pull out all the "hair" and then pull up the outside pieces again so the corn is covered.

Lots of people are scared of tofu but i promise this is good! Buy extra firm tofu and drain in. Then cut it into chunks and put it in a baggie with some soy sauce (or honey, or whatever you like!) Put that on skewers as well.

Then grill it all! Everything (especially the corn!) comes out so yummy!

Enjoy, and happy summer!

40. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 19, 2006

We didn't have a fridge the first few weeks of school. So I bought the freezer packs and a lunch bag/box. I packed my lunch in there: water, yogurt, veggies and it kept cold until my lunch which is at 12. Sandwiches are good too, use whole wheat bread, peanut butter, turkey and such. I try and not eat too many frozen meals b/c of the sodium. I often will make my own soup and freeze it in small containers. I take it out in the morning and don't bother putting it in the fridge at school.

When my kids have snack I have snack. Usually fruit in the morning, rice cakes with peanut butter, pretzels and such. I try and eat healthy in front of my students.

41. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 19, 2006

I don't always eat healthier (although am working on it) - but I fully agree that you should eat healthy infront of your students. After all, you should be modeling proper health for them. Even if I want to have a soda I'll pour it into a cup with a lid.