Anyone using the STAR program?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Nate, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Nate

Nate Companion

Sep 2, 2011

My predecessor in my ASD classroom put a bunch of money into the STAR program, and I tried to use it last year, but it didn't work for me very well. Is anybody having a five-star experience with it, who would encourage me to give it another go?

3. MrShiva

MrShiva Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

Hi Nate! What is STAR program? It is new for me.

4. Nate

Nate Companion

5. MrShiva

MrShiva Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

ahh.. so it is the Star Program, i think if you will used this materials as teaching aid you also need some personal skills while using this. By the way is your school handled the cost to buy this kind of teaching aid?

6. manda80411

manda80411 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011

Star

I have all 3 levels in my room for high schoolers. I am getting ready to go to the training. I think if you can get ahold of a training video that might help. From what I hear it is really good. I hope I will be able to use it after I go to the training.

7. Nate

Nate Companion

Sep 2, 2011

Awesome. I'll look for the videos. If it's not too much trouble, dig this thread up or PM me after the training. I know it was very expensive, but it was a really bad fit for my students. Have you looked through it yet?

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2011

Nate,
    What level are your students? What is the ratio in your room? What do you dislike about the STAR program? I have not ever personally used it but we almost got it for my current district. My old district uses it in the prek and k-2 autism classrooms.

I have read good things about it but the ultimate decision for us was that it was too expensive for what it is.

I know that Mom2Mikey (another teacher on here that I haven't heard from in a while!) uses STAR with some of her kids and if I can remember, she seemed to like the program.

9. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Sep 2, 2011

Nate,

Here is another thread about STAR program. I did use it somewhat successfully when I taught kindergarten autism - my rundown of my personal pros and cons is included here:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=112477

Now I teach k-5 ASD and don't have or use the actual STAR curriculum. However, the basic tenets of it (discrete trial teaching, working on functional routines, using what kids are motivated by to get them to communicate, etc) are standard in my classroom. I learned some neat stuff from it, but it was more technique. I don't think the provided materials are really all that engaging, especially for older kids. I also don't think the scope and sequence of communication activities is nearly broad enough. If you are new to ASD, I think it is a good jumping off point and will provide you a structure to set up your classroom and get things going, but overall, not really anything you couldn't get in other autism resources more cheaply! Just my two cents.

I do think this has potential, especially if you teach older students. Its by the same people:

http://starautismsupport.com/facter

Its by the same people that did STAR, and a more indepth look at the functional routines part.