Anyone using Go Math?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Feb 28, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2014

And do you like it? User friendly?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2014

I have been using it for several years.

Pros: Lots of intervention material
    SmartBoard lessons and video lessons
    Lots of test prep and student practice

Cons: Uses too many strategies to teach concepts
    Lessons are often a little too long to fit into one day

Overall, I have enjoyed using it more than some math programs we have had over the years.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Feb 28, 2014

I agree with everything swansong said. It's our first year using it. I hated it at first and found it overwhelming. Now that it's been a while I'm more used to it and overall like it. It's REALLY hard to cover a section in the 70 minutes we have for math. It has a nice focus on word problems which is good, but 90% of the homework isn't word problems and that's annoying since 100% of the test is word problems. I wish the homework was closer in style and appearance to the tests. At least that's my experience in 5th grade, not sure if it's 100% word problem tests in the younger grades.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2014

I have a double major: Math and Geology (plus an MS in Geology). I have no idea what "Go Math" is......... Maybe world has passed me by...... :lol:

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 1, 2014

It's Houghton Mifflin's math curriculum for K to 8.

7. AlexaD

AlexaD Companion

Mar 1, 2014

Yes, I am using it in my first year. I agree it is a lot to cover in one lesson. We only have 60 minutes. I do like it in that it is engaging for the kids. I also agree that sometimes there are too many strategies presented, which can be confusing.

Any tips or tricks that others would be willing to share about how they present their math lessons using this program?

8. queenie

queenie Groupie

Mar 3, 2014

We are kind of using it. They gave us ONE copy of a student book and ONE copy of a homework book to try out and see if we want to adopt it next year. I really like it, so far!

Seems like it:
    -integrates other subjects
    -is very colorful and interesting to kids
    -provides a good variety of activities
    -is aligned to common core
    -lists the cc standard/goal for each lesson right on the page
    -provides daily practice of concepts already learned (back of homework pages)

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2014

I pick and choose the parts of each lesson that best fits the needs of my students. I tend to pull word problems from the practice pages. I agree that there is a deficit of word problems in the homework.

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2014

We have it and I like it, it helps me plan and has good resources. I agree there aren't enough word problems. We're only allowed to use word problems in our 90 minute math block so I have to supplement a lot. I don't usually supplement for homework. The assessments are really good and the reviews for the chapter tests in the student workbook are great.

There are many strategies and sometimes I don't teach every single strategy or I don't teach them all to my lowest students so as not to confuse them. We don't have to follow it word for word at my school we can pick and choose what we want to use.

11. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 7, 2014

I love it. I just started using it about a month ago with my students and only wish I could have started the year with it. It's rigorous and gives lots of skills practice, as well as giving lots of higher order thinking questions.