Anyone using Engrade or Edmodo?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sundrop, Aug 21, 2010.

1. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

I've bookmarked these two sites and am now looking at them to see if either would be worth using this year. I'd like to be able to post assignments online for students to access from school, home, wherever. Then they can do the assignment and post it online or email it to me. Just a way to save on some paper and reduce the piles on my desk. Much of it would be on the computer this way. If you have used either of these sites and can give me your opinion (good or bad) I would appreciate it.

3. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 21, 2010

I used engrade a couple of years ago, just as a gradebook program before we started using a program as a whole district. It seemed fine. I am actually thinking of starting with edmodo this year--I registered, but only got my class schedule this week so haven't really set anything up. I thought it looked pretty good.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

I used Edmodo all last year and loved it, the students did too. I am using it again this year.

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

I think I'm going to try Edmodo this year. It looks like it will be really useful but it's hard to get the full picture until school starts. Then I can finally have some interaction with the students to see how the site works.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

Make an account for a "test student" and you can see both sides of the tool.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

p.s. I created usernames and passwords for all of my students so I can keep a record (students always forget). It takes some time (particularly since I have over 100 students) but in the end it is worth it.

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 21, 2010

I used engrade at my school for the past two years. The first year, engrade was having some technical difficulties, which caused a lot of confusion and frustration for the teachers, parents and students. Last year though, we didn't have any problems with it at all - they must have fixed the bug.

My school switched to gradelink this year, otherwise I would be using engrade again.

9. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

I am running edmodo this year with my kids. I think in the future I might assign usernames and passwords as I have a lot of kids coming in who have forgotten their username or password. Lucky for me I can look up usernames and reset passwords. I am also having some trouble getting a small handful of kids to participate online. It is a work in progress.

I second having a test student. I use my test student when I show my kids how to use edmodo because it is a student page and not a teacher's. I am also toying with the idea of setting up another teacher account as a co teacher. This way I can have my aid grade edmodo assignments without being on my account.

Oh, I’ve also let parents know that if they want I can set up an account for them so that they can help monitor the online class. No one has taken me up on it, but I am sure it is a relief for parents to know they are welcome to participate if they wish.

10. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

Interesting thoughts deserttrumpet. I did set up a student user for each class which definitely helped clear up how it will look and work for students. I don't think I will set each student up with an account. It looks like they can change their password once logged in, so I don't know that it would help to give them a username and password. They could just change it on their own anyway. I'm just going to strongly suggest that they use their AR username and password. It will hopefully be easier to remember and I can look that up easily if I need to.

Not quite sure if I would put an offer out to parents. Will have to contemplate that a bit.

Thanks for the ideas.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 22, 2010

On my permission slip, it includes an invitation to share the un and pw with the parents.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I have never heard of Edmodo and just looked it up and it looks interesting. I have a couple questions:

I would like to have a blog where I can post Science articles and the kids can read them and respond to them as their homework. Can I do that here?

With having the kid's first name showing, is that safe?

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 22, 2010

I just set up my Engrade and I have to say that I really LOVE the features. It seems to be a lot easier to use as well compared to other programs I've tried. I won't be using it as a way for students to find out grades, but as a private gradebook. It'll be helpful when I have to switch from my personal (at home) computer and my school laptop.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2010

I used Engrade last year and loved it! Our school has switched over to this different software, so unfortunately I don't get to use it again...

15. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 22, 2010

Sue, I'm not an Edmodo expert (yet!) but it seems that you can post links to articles or you can upload a pdf of an article for your students as an assignment. Then they can read it, write a response in Word and upload that file to turn in to you. Or they can just respond by posting a response to you.

I double checked the confidentiality of this site again regarding your second question and found this statement on the site: We want to emphasize that everything you post on Edmodo is private to your group or the individual(s) with whom you shared the content.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2010

I have used engrade for several years now. I haven't checked out the new updates yet though.

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

You can post links, documents, even feeds through Edmodo. Everything is private unless you make it available to the public. While you can see anything that is posted on the walls kids do not see any grades unless it is their grade. I haven't used a lot of their bells and whistles yet, but it is nice to know that they are there and I can use them when/if I want.