Anyone used Bathfitters?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by kindernj123, Jul 28, 2007.

1. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 28, 2007

Has anyone had Bathfitters come and re-do your bathroom? I am considering them and having them come for an estimate. I heard good and bad things and wondered if anyone here has used them.:confused:

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

We used them maybe three years ago now. It cost over three thousand dollars, and was not worth it. It took two and a half days. They had to come back to redo something, but I forget what it was. It was a case of sloppiness. Not long after the job was finished we got mildew on the 'trim' that goes around the tub. ( I can't think of the word I want..) That was not supposed to happen, according to them. Using cleansers they suggest, it didn't come out. Finally the rep on the phone-third call- tells me to just pull it up and replace it myself, as they have no other advice. The edging around the bottom of the tub cracked and needed replaced before two years was up. If you get an estimate, get all their guarantees in writing. Our tub and shower is much prettier than it was, but it was a lot of money that I didn't think matched the quality.

4. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Becky, we had them do ours almost 2 years ago. Same problem with the mildew-I have 4 black spots a bit smaller than the size of a pea in different areas on the trim . Weird. BUT the main problem is it backs up every couple of months. The drain apparently clogs from hair-my thick hair sheds. :eek: We have called and emailed and they could care less. My husband has to plunge the drain with all his strength and then remove the clog with his hands. Yuck.

The installation was fine and the technician was so nice! The customer service stinks. It is easy to clean and looks nice until it clogs.

Kinder,

IF you do it, do NOT finance through their credit partner-the interest rate is ridiculous. It cost like 3400 but it will take forever to pay. We had no choice because the previous homeowners had let something leak and we had a huge mold problem in the bathroom and it was making me sick. We had to practically gut the whole room. I think you may be better off checking out local licensed bathroom people. You may find a decent deal. Also, it comes with a lifetime warranty but you cannot use any cleansers that are not approved by them-that will void the warranty.

5. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for the info. Were those prices just for the tub and wall areas? Wow!:eek: I am not hearing many rave reviews! I am looking at local remodelers and may end up doing the work ourselves. The cost of the plumbing work that has to be done before they come in is bad enough.

6. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Wow, sorry that you all had such a bad experience with them. I'm in Missouri, and we've had two bathrooms done, and we love both of them. We had a wall pop away a few weeks after installation, but it had nothing to do with thier work, but everything to do with the original bath wall. We called them, they came out and replaced the whole unit including new dry wall at no additional charge. We've had no problems since. I guess it depends on where you live and who you get.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2007

It's so funny that you posted about this..! I mentioned calling them to my hubby last night. The tile in the shower looks like it's going to go anyminute... we have re grouted the tile, but still no use. Unfortunately it will be a while before we can remodel, so we thought this would be a nice way to clean it up a bit...

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I may be hijacking here, but I went to Home Depot, and they swear up and down, I can't put new tile on top of old tile in bathroom. They say you must break up, and pull out all the old tile first. Is this true??

I got a new toliet in my condo. The handyman did an okay job. But when I asked the other two guys about re-doing the floor, they said, they would just lay another floor on top.

I went to the tiling class at Home Depot. it was very intersting! but honestly, I can't see myself doing that stuff! Motar, spacers, gravel, trowels, oh my! :haha: I want to get these guys to do it, but you know how it is arguing with help, when they act like they know what they are doing. "Oh, sure, we can do that but it will cost you more!"

Professionals costs more, but they are on time, and work looks good. These handyman types are catch 'em when you can, you pay next to nothing, but they do pretty good, well some of them at least.

any suggestions?

9. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Whether it's your wall or your floor, if the base isn't sound, you can't put anything on top of it. We do quite a bit of the work around our house ourselves, but we do research first. We ask tons of questions of both the pros and the handymen first, and we read lots. You'd be surprised what you can do yourself, but a whole shower/bath, we weren't comfortable with that one.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I see...I did paint two closets! I figured that was good! Maybe I'll hold off on the bathroom, and concentrate on the kitchen instead. Cabinets are totally yucky, some type of white paint on maple???

I'll just keep looking around...getting estimates. I just googled Bath Fitters, and I see lots of negative responses! They are not near me, so I wouldn't have called!

11. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 2, 2007

My dad echoes the idea that you have to pull off the old tile. I am also considering spraying the tile and leaving it. They can spray the tub, too. I didn't even consider doing the tile myself! I am FINSIHED with grout. I don't even want to see it exposed anywhere in my bathroom.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Spray, as in spray paint??? I got the kit to refinish the bathtub, and some know-it-all decorator said I shouldn't use it because that stuff is so toxic it kills brain cells once you open the package. I should mention, I went on a date with this guy, and have not called him back. He was way to pushy for me. I ended up just using Goo Gone, and the tub looks okay.

I did spray paint the interior of the cabinets. At least that is a quick fix before I decide to replace them all.

I didn't know you could spray paint tile!

13. kindernj123

kindernj123 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

I think they call it re-glazing. A person comes in and sprays for you. I haven't priced that option yet. I guess that guy never heard of opening the windows before using chemicals... better off not calling him back:lol:

Now I'm considering pulling all the tile off and making my husband sheetrock the walls-won't he be thrilled:rolleyes:

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2007

I have so much to learn. Buy Me, Designed To Sell, and House Hunters are my new favorite TV shows...

Yes, I know, I need a life. And you are right, any idiot knows to ventilate a room before playing with paint and chemicals!!! I guess he didn't realize I must have a college degree if I am a teacher!!