Anyone use Wilson Fundations?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by KimberlyBest, Feb 12, 2006.

1. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 12, 2006

I am researching various curriculums for the kindergarten at my school and this one has peaked my interest. Just curious if you use it and what you might say about it's good or bad points.

THANKS!

Kimberly

3. teacherchick

teacherchick Companion

Feb 12, 2006

I have used it with some of my classes, special education 3-4 grade. Traditionally I have only seen it used with the upper grades and i am not too sure that I would use it in kindergarten. There is a lot going on with the program and it tends to go at a fast clip causing some kids esp. with attn. problems to get lost. I have found that while it works for some kids it can confuse others to a point where they get VERY frustrated. the ones that it does work for tho it really works... I have also found that it works best in small groups of 3-4 rather than whole class lessons... Good luck

4. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 12, 2006

Interesting insight! Our county schools use it and our charter school is looking for something new, we currently don't have a curriculum for reading/phonics per se. We use Core Knowledge but there isn't much in the way of instructional guides for teachers or a true pacing guide. As a new teacher I would like a curriculum with a more detail that I can chose from. My principal is pretty much leaving the search up to me since the other Kindergarten teacher is anti curriculum, she's been teaching for many years, in this country and several others, is National Board Certified, speaks for languages, yada yada yada - she thinks curriculums are just for publishers to make money LOL As a new teacher I think I need SOME type of guidance!

5. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Feb 13, 2006

I attended a brief training with Barbara Wilson this summer. I am not sure that I would want to use the program in kindergarten because it is really designed as a remedial program for kids at risk. It has some nice parts that I use in my regular ed classes, but for your primary curriculum I think that you can find something more literature based.

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 13, 2006

Thanks Miss Starr! I'm really going to have to question the county schools in my area to see what they find so good about it!!