Anyone use their own bathroom/locker pass system?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Lyquidphyre, May 28, 2007.

1. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 28, 2007

I am planning on passing out "Bio Bucks" at the beginning of the year to be used as a bathroom pass, locker pass or homework pass. The students will get ten and these and they are the only passes they have to leave the room. Once they are gone, if they want to leave the room they get detention. I am hoping this method will reduce the number of trips out of the classroom. If they don't use them, at the end of the year, they will count towards their final exam/lowest grade. I plan to stamp or sign the backs of them so they can't be duplicated (and when I take them up, I will save them to check for dups at the end of the year if I need to)

Does anyone else have a similar system? What are some pros and cons? Is there anything I am overlooking?

3. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

May 28, 2007

I do have a similar system, but I'm not sure if I'll do it next year. At the beginning of the trimester I gave each student 5 passes--I called them potty passes. :) If they don't use them they get extra credit at the end of the trimester. I put them on colored paper (that way they'd be harder to duplicate).

Did it work? Well, for the most part it did. The kids thought it was silly at first, but now the ones who didn't use them are thankful for the extra credit they'll receive in a few days. I'd be interested in other systems though!

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 28, 2007

Hmm, I wonder if I should cut 10 down to 5. I wasn't sure on the amount to use.

5. EngTeacher15

EngTeacher15 Companion

May 28, 2007

10 seems a little much to me--especially if you're having one option be a homework pass. I'm afraid that my kids would just use it as a crutch for every assignment they forgot/misplaced etc.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 28, 2007

Five sounds like plenty to me too. You will have to be very clear on what assignments are not eligible for the homework pass. I would also consider noting on an attendance sheet or something when the kids used them so that you have proof that they did or did not use them if the question comes up. I can imagine some students buying or convincing others to give up a pass to cover a grade - maybe have the kids sign them in ink when you pass them out. Also, make sure it is clear that you have to have it in hand to count at the end of the year/semester.

7. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 28, 2007

I might just make them only for bathroom and locker passes and I think I will cut it down to 5 instead of 10. Homework passes might cause more problems than it's worth.

Tasha- I plan on having them all sign their names in ink and I think marking on the attendence sheet would be the easiest thing to do to keep track (in addition to saving them).

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 28, 2007

That sounds EXACTLY liek teh system my bio teacher had freshman year of HS. We each got 4 "red passes" good for 5 minutes out of class, no questions asked... could be used for bathroom, locker, tardy, whatever. Just turn in the pass and go (or turn in if you came late). We got a second set of 4 at the beginning of the second semester, and they were cumulative. I think we were uspposed to put our names on them, but most of us just stapled them to the inside of our folder for the class... that way they wouldn't get lost. They were on that DARK red paper so would be pretty hard to copy.

We could also earn homework passes for various things (participating in the science department fundraiser, doing something above and beyond, etc)... if you were using a homework pass, you still had to staple it to a piece of paper titled with your name, date, class period, and the assignment. Then the teacher signed both the pass and the paper.

Both kinds of passes could be turned in for a point or two extra credit added onto our six-weeks grade at the end of the grading period.

9. lisap

lisap Companion

May 30, 2007

For a while, our school used a stystem called "Travel Cards" for all hallway priveleges school-wide. The student was given the preprinted card in which they put their name (in ink) and it had columns for the date, place, time out, time in and teacher signature. The student filled out all the details and the teacher just signed it to give approval. You could limit the number of rows to 5 and offer the same benefits if they didn't use them all. That would save on paper, it could be printed on card stock, and the student would be responsible for keeping the card. I would also limit that they can only use it during non-teaching moments (homework, group work, guided practice, etc.)

10. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

May 30, 2007

My former middle school students had 9 passes for each grading period in their agenda. Once the passes for a grading period were used, the student did not leave the room. The passes carried over, so if a student did not use them, he/she had even more for the new grading period. The passes were not transferable from student to student; they had to be filled out on the first day of school, everything except the teacher's signature and the date/time/purpose. The passes were good for locker, telephone, restroom, whatever. If the student lost his/her agenda or left it at home, tough beans. Believe me, after only a few days, the students learned to use those passes wisely. Well, most of them did. There will always be a few who go nuts with the freedom, use them all in a week, and then whine about having to go without the rest of the nine weeks.

It was a really good system. It taught them conservation, organization, and the benefits of hoarding! It was also good for them all to see what happened when someone used up all his/her passes on nonsense and then really had an issue.

Before we got agendas, I used wooden paddles that said "POTTY" in really big letters, and the paddles were attached to those huge dog-toys that jingled. It was embarrassing, yes, and that was the purpose of it. Secondary students had eight minutes between each class, and unless they wasted that time, there was plenty of opportunity to use the restroom.

For emergencies, there were always exceptions, of course.

One (of many) nice thing about the college level. . . . my students can eat, drink, leave, and return any time they need to. And when I hear people talking in the hallway, I don't have to ask them for a pass. And when their mothers call me, I don't have to tell them anything. YeeHAW.

I still fail them when they don't do their homework, though.

11. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 31, 2007

That is wonderful! It makes me want to go out and buy a toilet seat lid and write "pass" on it and hang it by the door next year. What a thought!

In the school I subbed for they had agendas that teachers would initial for that day and it was just ridiculous- the students would just share agendas or turn the page to a different date (like I wasn't going to realize it wasn't July 4th). I like the idea of passes specifically for my classroom. That way it's a "different" set of rules they can't abuse because it is specific to my class- if that makes any sense.

I am seriously thinking about buying a toilet seat lid and making it my "potty pass"

12. apple25

apple25 Comrade

May 31, 2007

Toilet seat potty pass - I love it!! I just have a sign out system, and as long as they don't abuse it, they can just leave (as long as I'm not teaching, of course!). It works for this class because they are pretty responsible, but if I ever do need a "potty pass", that's what I'll use!

13. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

May 31, 2007

My only experience is as a sub, and I know students take advantage of substitutes... but it just drove me nuts! I knew some students went to use the bathroom while others just roamed the halls but I can't pick and choose who I let go to the bathroom.
    I want to be able to reward my students and I think the "Biobuck" idea is a great way to reward those who are responsible and organized and it keeps classroom disruption to a min.

I told my boyfriend last night that I am definatly making a toilet seat potty pass. I am going to tie it to a rope and add bells and such =o)
    Ha, Im such a hypocrite! I just said I want minimal classroom disruption yet I want to add bells to a giant toilet seat! haha

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 2, 2007

Like apple25 I use a sign out system. They may use the bathroom anytime I am not giving direct whole class instruction so long as they sign out and go one at a time. I have done limited number passes in the past and I find it boils down to one thing - can you really justify to a parent not letting a child go to the bathroom? I document so I can see if someone is abusing the system, and those rare times someone is I'll call home and that takes care of it.

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 2, 2007

I agree with ancientciv; I've always been wary of giving the students set amount of passes because to me it just seems to be asking for a confrontation when one kid uses all of his passes...

At the beginning of the year, I tell them that I'll let them go if they need to go, but if I feel they are abusing that, then I'll get their parents involved. I *always* have at least one kid who abuses the system. The vast majority of the time, it stops once I call the kid's attention to the fact I know he's taking adavantage of me. I "ground" him/her for x amount of time... It seems to work. I call parents if it doesn't...

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2007

I don't give a set number either. For the most part I say yes. If I sense that someone is abusing the system, he or she will start making up the time after school-- out for 4 minutes, you owe me 4 minutes after school (and may very well miss your bus.)

I will never tell a child he or she CANNOT go to the bathroom. A kid who really really has to go will be provoked into a confrontation. But I can make it a less attractive choice than staying in class.

17. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 3, 2007

I would never deny someone the use of the bathroom- even when I was a sub and I knew it was just a con to get out of class, I always let them go (but one at a time).

I would imagine if the students know they have 6 opportunities to leave my classroom and they still used up all of their passes that could be considered abusing the system and I would still let them go to the restroom but I could do what Alice mentioned- your out for a certain amount of time, you owe me that after school.

I figured it would be a great way to reward the students who came to class prepared.

18. texasmom

texasmom Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

I'm a sub hoping to get my own classroom next year. I've thought a lot about this topic and thought I'd chime in.

So if you don't do bathroom passes, do you do locker passes or hallway passes? As a sub, I always let them go one at a time to go potty. I never found it was being abused. But there were tons of students who needed to retrieve something from their locker, go visit another teacher about an assignment, go call their mom for lunch money, etc.... That always bothered me b/c it became an issue of them being irresponsible and wanting to take up *my* class time to fix a mistake. How do you all handle that? I was planning on giving out 6 hall passes per grading period to be used as a catch-all "leaving the classroom" pass. But if you don't do passes, do you just have a hard and fast rule about not leaving except to go to the restroom? But then how do you know if they really went to the bathroom or not?

Michele

19. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 4, 2007

My first "rule" is that if I'm in the middle of teaching, you can't go anywhere unless it's a dire emergency. If a kid asks to go, then I say, "Can you give me about X minutes to finish this up?" I've NEVER had a kid tell me no. Then when I'm finished, I deal with that kid individually. Is this a good kid who I know will finish his work? Is this someone who has been sleeping and is far behind? I work it out with the kid. This works with high schoolers. Don't know if it would with younger ones.

20. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

That was the problem I always ran into as a sub- you can get an idea of who is really needs something and who doesn't and I want to be as fair as possible. I can't turn down one child and justify it and then 5min later let someone else go because they are a good kid.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 4, 2007

Yeah, I definitely see how that would be impossible if you are a sub! Most of the schools in my district have a rule that subs can not allow students to leave the room. I think that just puts the sub in a horrible position... I think as long as you have a plan, and it sounds like you do, then you can always tweak it once the school year starts.

22. weno88

weno88 Companion

Jun 4, 2007

I wouldn't deny a student their right to use the restroom, but they will know that they can't leave the room during the first 15 minutes of class.

I might be over thinking this a little bit, but I wouldn't want to embarrass the student who had to use the restroom by giving them a toilet seat pass. It sounds a bit like cruel and unusual punishment! :)

23. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 4, 2007

That is what my mom said! I might just put it up for grins or as a scare tactic.

24. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I never give passes during the first 15 minutes or the last 15 minutes of class, and I NEVER give passes to any place other than the restroom or the nurse's office. Students fought me for about two weeks at the beginning of the year about not being allowed to go to their lockers to retrieve forgotten items, but then it stopped once they figured out that I wasn't going to budge on that one. My feeling is that students should take care of personal business on personal time--and time in my classroom is MY time, not theirs. After all, I don't leave the classroom to retrieve items from my car or in my mailbox.

As for bathroom passes, I give them out on an as-needed basis only. I think it would be very confusing to keep track of which kids have how many passes left over, and I just don't have time for all that. My students know that I will issue passes only during work time (never during the time when I'm talking at the front of the room).

If I notice that a particular student seems to be using the bathroom too frequently, I take him or her aside and say that there will be no more bathroom passes.

25. lowiq

lowiq Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

After scanning the responses, I like the idea of the bio-pass because it teaches responsibility. I wonder if more responsibility can be learned by giving more freedom to the class, freedom that can be lost by one or two students. Maybe start out using the “sign-out and take the pass whenever you want system” until it is abused. Then use the bio-bucks for a few weeks or the rest of the semester, or until attitudes improve.
    One thing I really do not like are those planners that are being pushed on schools all over the place. Once schools buy them, they act like micro-managing the hall pass system is one of the most important jobs a teacher has.

26. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

It has dawned on me that this could be a linear programming problem for algebra students.
    Linear programming graphing reveals that the bio bucks system consumes fewer student-minutes out of class. The bio bucks pass system could potentially consume about 750 student-minutes per semester based on a class size of 30, and five 5 minute passes per student. Allowing students to go whenever they want with no teacher intervention would use up about 4500 student-minutes per semester, based on a 50 minute period and 90 periods per semester. The maximum number of student-minutes for a class of 30 students and a 90 day semester with 50 minute periods is 30x90x50= 13500. 4500/135000 = 3.3%. 750/135000 = 0.56%. The bio bucks system wins because only 0.56% of the class time is used for passes compared to 3.3% for allowing students to go whenever they want.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2007

Is anyone at all concerned that by saving passes the students would be able to raise their grades? How is that accountible grading? If anyone in our school did something like that, we'd be hung out to dry. Grades should reflect mastery of standards, not how many bathroom/locker passes you've collected. I find that the more years I'm teaching, the better I am at grading correctly. Grading should reflect whether or not students have learned the material. Am I wrong?

28. teachertara777

teachertara777 New Member

Jul 18, 2007

Emergency Coupons

I use what I've always called Emergency Coupons. I've always given 3 per week so they may only use the bathroom 3 times a week. I've always allowed students to use them for bathroom or water breaks and once they are out, they would have to move down the behavior chart in order to use the bathroom.

This year I don't have a sink in the room since I'm in a portable, so I may or may not allow for water breaks. Also being outside, we take whole class bathroom breaks after lunch and specials, so I may decrease my 3 to 2, but I'm not sure yet.

If students are responsible enough to keep all three coupons (not using any at all) by the following Monday, they earn a ticket, which is part of my individual incentive program.

29. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 18, 2007

Our students have only 3 minutes between classes which barely allows time for a bathroom run. I often found that kids would drop their books off and then ask if they could go. I would tell them to hurry and 99.9% of the time they were in class within the first couple of minutes and would get right to work on their bell ringer. Last year our schedule was great and the kids had ample opportunities to use the bathroom - after gym, then after lunch - they never had more than two classes in a row without a chance to use the bathroom. I told my class the first day that I allow students to use the bathroom in emergency cases only. Most of the time, if a student asked to go, I'd ask if it was an emergency and they'd say no. I have only one pass - so only one child can leave at a time. We too have planners that we are supposed to sign but I found that it was quicker and less disturbing to the whole class if I just had them take the pass - it has my room number on it and it is laminated so if there is any question from administration, they can see that it is not a fake one. This year the schedule was changed and we have three classes in row so I have a feeling I'll have more potty requests especially after the second of the three classes. I still like the idea of the one pass and I'm very stingy about handing it out. I also don't allow them to go to the locker for forgotten items. I have extra pencils/paper in class and if they hand in due papers by the end of the day I don't count them late even though they have to put it in the late/missing box.

30. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

Ha-ha at the toilet seat idea - I think you should use it! I remember an English teacher I had in h.s. who used a white toilet seat as his bathroom pass! We all laughed about it the first day when he told us, but I know I (and probably other students too) never had to go to the bathroom in his class, partly because of the embarrassment factor!

31. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Both of my children went to another high school where several teachers had unusual items students had to take wherever they went to avoid wandering. One had a long board that said HALL PASS, another had a stuffed moose. The boys especially hated bringing the moose. It seemed like a joke at first, but the kids learned very quickly that this was the routine, and anyone who saw a student carrying a moose knew where they were supposed to be.

I'm new, so I'll wait to go to inservices next week and see if my school has a hall pass/bathroom pass policy. I saw a stuffed Richard Nixon the other day that I'm thinking about picking up!

32. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I've kind of tweaked a few things with this, especially the longer Ive had to think about it... and I do feel that grades should reflect the mastery of the students but with that being said, I would lower the amount of passes to, lets say 3, so then only 3 points could be added somewhere (but NOT on a final average). Those 3 points aren't really going to do much, but the students feel they have a sense of control and responsibility. I think now I would rather use passes as a locker/hall pass type deal, that way the students are rewarded when they come to my class prepared and don't need to go to their locker. And like I said, 3 points probably won't do much grade wise, but 3 points could do a lot for motivation and responsibility.

33. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 4, 2007

I have subbed for many years and really hated saying no to bathroom requests. However, I did learn quickly that some students would take the pass and never return, so I had to remind them that they didn't need to take their backpacks (yes, the school allowed them) to the restroom with them.

Last year I was a LTS in a classroom where the teacher had instituted a 3 passes only limit per class session. This turned into a royal pain, since it became obvious that the same students were routinely using the pass, leaving others out. One freshman class was notorious for needed the pass for various reasons. I finally got fed up with them and taught them to ask me to use the restroom in German (this was a science class). At first they were upset about this change, however the number of students needing to leave my room dropped drastically. I guess if they really needed to go they learned how to ask, otherwise it wasn't worth it to know my sentence.

This year I am at a new school. There is plenty of time between classes, so I am not going to give passes except for the nurse or emergencies. No one will go to their lockers for forgotten books or homework. Returning to lockers distracts other classes. They can turn that in later and receive a late grade.

34. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

:) Here's an awful story...my kiddo was short of an A in a class by 0.45 of a point. The teacher wouldn't budge!!! She has to keep the B.
    Sometime 3 points does matter. I wish he had a bathroom pass system whereby kids earn points toward their grade. I'd hang him out to dry!! He makes me soooooo mad!!!!!! She had straight A's in all her other 7 classes!!! Another teacher agreed that he is a control freak!! Be careful if those additional 3 points puts a student in the next letter grade or holds them back from it. Then you could have problems.:eek:hmy:

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2007

I am not a big advocate of limiting bathroom use. When you gotta go, you gotta go. I go to the bathroom basically at the same time every day, and I can't help it if my students have to, also. I think it teaches them greater responsibility if they have to figure out when an appropriate time in the class period is to go to the bathroom.

For lockers, it's a NO period, unless the work they left in there is going to really really inhibit them from participating in class that day. Then I send them, but either way, I give unprepareds in the book, and 3 UP = detention.

36. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 4, 2007

I have given 5 passes per trimester and it seems to work. students with a medical problem gave me a note from the doctor. Of course there are always exceptions. I also gave homework passes, but I think I will change that. I'm going to use those as weekly prizes for good behavior...I have never used the leftover passes to bring up a grade, I have used it as a entry for a drawing at the end of the trimester (small prizes).

37. Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff New Member

Aug 7, 2007

Bathroom/Locker Passes

I think the bathroom/locker passes are a wonderful idea and use them myself. But, I heartily recommend cutting it down to 5 rather than 10. Multiply 10 times the number of students you have in any one class (22?) and see how many times the students are elsewhere besides your classroom in the couurse of a year and you can see for yourself why 5 is much better. It also makes them a "hotter" commodity so make sure you label them and/or have the kids sign them with a Sharpie so they can't be traded/stolen.
    Now...as for the potty passes/toilet seats...I have also done this. It was effective but one thing I have used in the past and find myself digging out the idea and dusting it off (what is old will someday be new again) is to have the kids wear a bright orange hunting vest with my name on the back of it that says...(insert name here) Potty Pass and one that says (insert name here) Hall Pass. That way only one student for each thing can possibly be gone at any time. I've found that the more embarassing it is...the less likely they are to use it if they don't REALLY need to go.

38. teachkids

teachkids Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

Potty pass

I really like the orange vest idea!

39. LayLin

LayLin Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I give 3 per semester, but they buy, sell, trade, whatever if they want to. No one leaves without one and they are worth extra credit at the end of the semester. Also, regarding using large items as passes as a deterrent, kids just set them down outside the door of the class and pick em up when they come back where I come from. Teachers don't realize it, but I see them in the hallways.