Anyone use Reading Street?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Aug 14, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Aug 14, 2013

If so, what do you do for reading centers? Do you use the flip chart ideas they give? I'm not a big fan of them. Or do you make your own centers?

3. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Aug 17, 2013

I usually have 4 centers. Small group, Ar (read to self), Computer, and the last one changes year to year. I have used comprehension worksheets, writing notebooks, journal and draw, and this year I have some Nook tablets that I will use in that last group.

4. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I only use the reading books....

We got the reading streets series five years ago.... there was a lot that went with it, and we were required to use all of it (centers included) the first year. After about 2 months I wanted to chuck it out the window because it didn't fit my students and voiced my opinion. Midway through the year, the principal said to use what was needed. The only thing I use from the series are some of the stories from the reading books and the leveled readers, I don't use any of the writing, spelling, or centers. I will be using Daily 5 instead of those centers.

5. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 18, 2013

I did not use the flip charts. I created my own centers. This year, we are moving away from reading street in favor of a more comprehensive framework....

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 18, 2013

I am also not a fan of their workstation suggestions. My favorite is where they are to copy the sight words on paper. If they can already read those words it's basically just handwriting practice-if they can't, they certainly aren't going to learn how to read them by writing them down. I also think there should be more hands-on practice-not just all writing. Luckily, I have always been allowed to supplement my own stations.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2013

I use to use Reading Street, but never used their center ideas. I was using The Daily 5 (still am).