Anyone use Reading A-Z or Writing A-Z?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MMRbella, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I am interested in signing up for subscriptions to Reading A-Z and/or Writing A-Z.

Has anybody used these services before? If so, are they worth the cost? What's your opinion?

Thank you!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

They had a free trial day during teacher appreciation week -- and I took a look (and downloaded EVERYTHING! :) ) I know it wouldn't be for me, because of the cost to print out everything -- color cartridges, paper, etc.

For some people, it might be. I guess a lot of it depends on how much of this is supplied by your school. We have to beg for printer cartridges and paper, so I'd end up printing everything at home on my printer -- and well then, it just isn't such a good deal.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2008

I used reading atoz a lot while student teaching. Luckily, my new school pays for it. I love it. If I was forced to, I'd pay out of pocket.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2008

I love reading a-z. I use the books and comprehension quizzes as supplements and homework for my reading class. I use the running records to test my kids at least once or twice each marking period. I'm hoping to use more things from the site this year. I have subscribed for 2 years now, and I don't think I could live without it:)

Oh, and to save myself on ink, I print things out at school! :D

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I love reading a-z... I'm going to drop my subscription though, as I won't really use it in my new position... but when I do get back in the classroom, I will likely use it...

I plan to do a lot of printing over the summer so that I have some stuff on file at the very least.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 1, 2008

I also love A-Z Reading! I didn't have a good reading program for my kids so these were the leveled readers I'd use with them for guided reading and also send home for them to practice. They are interesting books, not just "the fat cat sat on the mat" like a lot of reading programs. I haven't tried writing or any of the other spin-offs!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

I like RAZ-Kids as a spin-off... I wasn't impressed with Writing. Science is in its infancy stage right now, and I wouldn't go for that either... Vocabulary was kind of pointless if you ask me. Reading Tutors basically has some of the same stuff that Reading A-Z has, so I wouldn't recommend that either.

Basically Reading A-Z, and if you have a computer available in your room for students to use to go online, RAZ-Kids is excellent as well.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2008

My son's kindergarten teacher had a subscription and we were able to access online books with comprehension questions and everything. It was great. I think it would be a great tool to use to encourage reading at home.

10. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jul 1, 2008

My school ordered the subscription for all the K-5 teachers! It was awesome!!!! It was even better because we have limited resources so I really had no classroom books to use for reading groups with my kids. The kids loved them...especially when they got to color them!

Not knowing what my school would do next year I kept a file with a copy of all of the books I used and the worksheets/activities that went with them. It was a lot of work...but well worth it!!

11. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jul 2, 2008

I like reading a-z. I used it for reading homework this past year. My old team had a good idea for how to use it: they printed almost everything off, stuck it in file folders and had a cabinet in our team area where you could just grab the folders you needed and run everything off.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 2, 2008

I have a subscription and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I have been downloading all the lower level books. I ran out of time and will do more at the start of the school year!

13. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

I downloaded a bunch of books from Reading A- Z during the free week. I discovered that I could view the books full screen and then hook up my projector. That way I could do shared reading of the books with my whole class and not have to print anything.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 2, 2008

I am glad that everyone likes Reading A-Z, I was going to get a subscription in August.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

I printed out all the stories already from reading A-Z that I will use (non-fiction) and the reading assessments and readers theatre.

I am considering signing up for RAZ kids. I just depends on how many computers I get for my classroom. (we will have laptops to share, but if there are not enough, I can't see that it would be worth it to me.)