Anyone use Read180? Is there any room for flexibility?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms., Jul 28, 2010.

1. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 28, 2010

Is Read180 scripted?

Is there any room for flexibility?

3. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jul 30, 2010

I'm wondering about this too. I know you are supposed to follow the program, but how much time does it take each day or week? Do you have time left over for extra stuff? Or even required things, like benchmark exams (and preparing for those)?

4. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 30, 2010

Hopefully I'll work like crazy to help these young adults become better readers!

5. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Interesting info, Ms.!

Where do you find research studies on it? We are always hearing in general terms about research and data from administrators, but never see them quote anything specific! So we get "Research shows that Read 180 is effective." And that's about it!

Based on last year, I expect to have way more than 15 in a class. I'll have them for two periods in a row, but I was hoping we could take a break during passing period. I have no idea how the time works out because I haven't been trained yet. No idea when training would be, but looking at the calendar, it's hard to imagine that it will happen before the kids arrive. It would be nice to have some idea what I am going to do before they get there! I always envy the people who are all organized with policies and procedures and a syllabus on the first day, because I have never really found out what I am going to be teaching until the last minute.

So any info about running read 180 would be helpful!

6. ms.

ms. Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

I really want to make this program work, because I care about my students.

7. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

I have taught this program for 3 yrs now in a urban/inner city high school. Have questions? Ask away!!!!

8. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 3, 2010

I guess my main question is how much time do you need for read 180--I understand there are three rotations; do you spend 30 minutes on each or how do you divide the time? Do you do it every day? Do you have to plan other activities or is that all you have time for? Do you assign homework?

9. ms.

ms. Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I'm supposed to complete the 90 minute lesson in two 39 minute periods. There is no way this is possible. This has been show to cause regression, but Scholastic is making millions off of Read190.

10. ms.

ms. Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I will have to condense Read180.

11. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

well my class period was 101 mins so a typical day went like this:
    The students came in a worked on a journal prompt for 10 mins. light off. (i have about 4 windows)
    We start with whole group for aprox 20 min
    Go through three rotations 20 min eh 60 min total
    Last 10 mins we have an open discussion on anything thing they would like to share about the books that they are reading in their reading/writing rotation.

12. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 3, 2010

ekk,
    How does it work to get the students started on their rotations? I will have 24 middle schoolers. Usually if I am going to have students working independently, I will circulate and supervise, but with read 180, I will have to be working with one group, right? Is it hard to get the kids into the routine?
    Also, is it your sense that the kids like the program?

13. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Ok. Well I have used this program with 9th graders. When they come it for the school year of course they take the SRI. PLEASE stress the importance of this test. My incentive was that the student with the Most Growth NOT the HIGHEST lexile will when a $50 gift to place of choice. You will not believe how serious that took the program and each and every SRI from the beginning to the end of the school year.:2up: You will then need to group the kids. I had two read 180 group and one system 44 group. You may very will have 3 read 180 groups. You them will create the group bases off the grouping report in SAM. I tried to have one leader/tough guy in each group. They give you a first three weeks guide use it! Is this enough of would you like more. I can go on with read 180 forever. I would also change a few things as well.

14. ms.

ms. Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

I like the incentive idea. :) Do you group students in Read180 classes based on the SRI test? How many students do you have in each small group?

Also, do you have students that struggle with reading while you are teaching the lesson? I'm trying to figure out noise issues, as I have a very small classroom.

15. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Yes, Ms, it does seem like it would be hard to have one group talking while another group has silent reading in the same room. I can read in a noisy room, like a waiting room, but I'm a good reader! It seems like the kids who are not already good readers have a hard time concentrating when it's not quiet, and I know my room will also be crowded.

16. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

You mean monitoring the read/write group while ur in small group? They shouldnt struggle reading because they were to choose to a book based on their lexile level earn on the SRI. I really didnt have a problem the the read/write rotation due to the fact that i have pretty good classroom management. Eve in small group you dont have to sit there the entire time. You can explain the exercise give them 5 min to do it and then go visit the other rotations quickly? Anymore questions? Bring it on lol

17. ekk5968

ekk5968 Rookie

Aug 3, 2010

Are you in Southern or Northern ca?