Anyone use Project Read?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teach4Knsc, Mar 2, 2007.

1. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

I am interviewing for a job at a school which uses Project Read- anyone familiar with the program? I would be teaching K5, 1st or 2nd- any help appreciated! I did look at the website at www.projectread.com.

What do you like/not like? What are the strengths/weaknesses of the program?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 3, 2007

I really like the written expression part of project read...so much so that I use it even though I am no longer at the school where I was required to use it. The phonology part is rather boring I think, but if you jazz up the lessons, it does cover a lot of important material.

4. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Mar 3, 2007

I've used the written expression and lit. strands. I liked both, but it's so hard to do justice to the program trying to teach it simultaneously with an additional comprensive reading program.

What I liked about the written expression strand is that it uses a kinesthetic approach. The children are using their hands as well as their ears, eyes and voices. These words "The subject is the person, place or thing that the sentence is about" are accompanied by hand "signals" that helps the students remember the terms, rules and definitions of written English language.

If I didn't have so much else to do I could fit it in on a regular basis. As it is, I use it when the opportunity arises. Not ideal.