Anyone use "phones" to help teach sounds?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jun 13, 2008.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I use these great phones (made out of plastic piping) in my class. There is one for each student. I will sometimes use them whole group to introduce a sound. Other times I will use them in my small group to reinforce sounds.

I'm looking for other ideas on how to use them. I feel like they would be great in one of my centers, but I'm not sure how best to use them.

Any ideas would be GREAT!!! Thanks

Also, any games you play with them would be super as well!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I use them when they read aloud to themselves, too. It helps them hear intonations while reading. I also have them twist the halves of plastic piping so that a partner can hear them make the sounds and/or read to each other.

4. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

Whisper Phones

My kids this year kept theirs in their take home book baggie. They took them to and from school. Each student had there own. That way they didn't pass on or share germs, I asked parents to every once in a while throw them in the dishwasher.

I also let them use them when they were reading at their desk (second grade teachers at my school want them to work on reading to themselves). I let them use them when they were taking a test, that way they could read aloud without being loud and bothering their neighbors. Many students did use them for test, seemed very helpful especially on reading and spelling tests. :)

I did have them as a center, but because they took them home it wasn't as appealing. I thought it would be cute to read to a stuffed animal using them.

I will be anxious to hear other ideas as well!

5. lou reed

lou reed Companion

Jun 14, 2008

I use them in guided reading groups. It makes it easier to listen to individual students, and it's really helped them transition into reading silently over the year.

6. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

Thanks for these great ideas.. I was wondering the same thing!

7. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jun 16, 2008

If you are talking about the ones that are made with PVC piping, I've seen them being used for reading centers. I hear that the kids love to use them when they are reading so that they can hear themselves reading.

8. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2008

Last year I ordered them online for $1.00 each and of course now I can't find the link. Does anyone know where I can buy them cheap online like I did last year. I want to pick up a few more. Of course I could ask my hubby to make a few for me if i can't find the link.

9. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jun 18, 2008

Thank you for the great ideas!!!!

10. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 18, 2008

Why not make your own from pvp pipes? Just get the elbow joint ones and push together. :) If you want to keep them from falling apart use cement glue. Personally, I don't cement mine because it makes it easier to clean them. My students take them apart and wash them in soapy water for me. :D