Anyone use Orton- Gillingham Programs?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by firstgradeteach, Feb 4, 2009.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I received one of those "intervention" school supply magazines in the mail. I was flipping through and ran across a program called S.P.I.R.E. They had a few pages of examples. One of the items had color coded sight words. It was something like this:
    Green- you can sound out (cat)
    Yellow- Think- find chunks (can)
    Red- Memorize the words (of)

I have created large sheets of sight words using different fonts and have color coded the words. Using the color words has been VERY successful with my struggling readers.

Does anyone use these types of programs or have any other tricks to help my struggling readers?

3. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

You need to be trained in Orton-Gillingham. Each teacher in my school has taken the course because our Curriculum Director felt that it should be introduced in K and continued through 4th. Also, all special education teachers, AIS teachers and speech teachers have taken the course as well. It is quite intense. It is a week long for 7 hours a day. The cost is approximately $2,000. It would be difficult to try and explain the course. You will receive a certificate at the end of the course. In my area, if you are Orton-Gillingham trained it is a thumbs up on your resume. Also, if you tutor you can usually get more money.

4. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

I have read that you have to be "trained." Do you feel that it is extremely necessary to be trained or could I read the manuals, observe some classes and be okay?

I was an ABA teacher in college. I was supposed to be trained but caught on to it quickly.

I know that my school would NEVER think about paying for the $2,000 tag. My school doesn't hardly reimburse for college credits. I believe it is $50 a credit hour at first come first serve.

Do you use a lot of the items you learned in your classroom? I would love to be trained but I think my husband and school would not like to foot the bill. :)

I'd appreciate any other information that you could share. :)

5. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

My son's teacher used the Orton- Gillingham and it was beneficial to his learning. I myself did some of the stuff for him at home. I too would color code stories for him. Rewrite them so they were not black words on white paper. I would love to be certifed in it though.