Anyone use "Making Meaning" Curriculum?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by clr2785, Dec 21, 2008.

1. clr2785

clr2785 Rookie

Dec 21, 2008

I have heard mixed reviews about this curriculum. Is anyone using it in their k-3 classroom? If so, how is it going? Are you seeing improvement in comprehension? Are the lesson plans beneficial or overly scripted? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 22, 2008

I teach 5th grade, and our district is currently using it k-5. I know the students do like the authentic literature used, and I like using the same focus/objective that MM uses during my guided reading. As far as seeing improvement, in my grade level, it is hard to tell. I see more during my guided reading. I do not see the students talking as effectively during the lesson as I would like.(they tend to just sit there and laugh with each other) I do feel the program is OVERLY scripted, to the point of being annoying. I also feel as though I waste a lot of poster paper with the number of posters the program wants me to create. (I simply do not have enough wall space to hang them all).
    Hope this is the input you are looking for. Just my two cents!

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 22, 2008

I have used it. I began my year using it along with my own mini lessons. My biggest complaint is that they are NOT "mini" lessons so to speak. There is a lot in them and I feel that the teacher needs to break them into do-able pieces.

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Dec 26, 2008

I just started using it this year and I really like it. However, I don't follow it exactly. I really like the books that they use and the way that the comprehension strategies are laid out. I don't really like scripted programs, but I get ideas from it and sort of follow it. This is how I usually do it:

Look over book and see which strategy is being taught.
    Make a list of vocab words (this is written in teacher's manual), sometimes with pictures.
    Go over the vocab words before the story.
    Discuss strategy if it is new or remind students of strategy if we've been working on it already.
    Read story and stop to ask questions, "Turn and talk to your partner..."
    Then I dismiss them to read independently and I do reading groups.

The way that the program suggests it is to do the lessons for a couple of days, then have the rest of the week to do individual reading. I don't like that - I want them to practice their skills every day. So my Reading Workshop takes an hour - usually a half hour for the story/discussion and half hour for silent reading.

6. Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily New Member

Dec 27, 2008

I would be interested in seeing a link to more information. I like to keep up with any new programs out there just to stay in the know. Thanks.