Anyone use Journeys or Go Math?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Aug 29, 2013.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 29, 2013

EDITED:::: I really thought I posted this in Elementary Education. I meant to at least! I'm sorry everyone!

These are new for us this year and everyone in my school is trying to figure out how to use both series' to get the best out of them.

I'm interested in getting a "walk through" of how you implement them, particularly, math. I'm interested in doing math centers with my kids but am struggling to get started because I'm still learning the curriculum and am not quite comfortable with it.
    I don't really like the games that come with it, but I do like the little readers.

Do you do rotations?
    How do you group your students, and according to what?
    How long do the students have to work in centers?
    How long is your whole group?
    What do they do during centers? (independently, with you).

The book has a lot to offer, but it's overwhelming and a lot more than I think I'd ever get to. We have a "Math coach" and I've tried to ask but haven't gotten any help in trying to figure this out!

We have about 80 minutes for math.

Thanks!

3. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 30, 2013

We've used Go Math for a year.
    Most of it I really like, but there are a few lessons that we spent hours debating in team meetings about what they were talking about and what they were trying to get the kids to do. Some of the ideas presented in the books are frustrating and I'm not even approaching the this year.

My math block would make someone with a type A personality have a heart attack. I don't have a set amount of time that my whole group lasts. We keep going until I feel that most of my children are comfortable with the concept. It usually takes between 25-35 minutes.
    My small groups are really fluid. I take the students to my group who aren't understanding the concept back to my group first, regardless of where their placement is at. My aide pulls whoever she needs to for basic fact practice. When they are done with their assignment in their book, I have a math center where they can do a related activity to that day's lesson, or one of the computers in my room and play math games.
    I'll then pull kids who I would like to practice specific skill sets with.
    I do officially have 'groups' but they are more for the benefit of my aide and to make sure everyone gets a turn on computers than for anything else.
    This usually lasts an hour or so.
    So I have about 1/2 an hour for the whole group lesson and then about an hour of group time.

4. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Aug 30, 2013

Thanks for responding kellzy!

Do you pull the Go Math series resources for the center? Or do you have supplemental centers that you use?
    I'm just not impressed with what the series has to offer from the Grab 'N Go kit.

5. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Aug 30, 2013

I use them to an extent. I like the basic ideas behind them, but I adapt them to better fit the needs of my students. So they sort of give me a launching point to create something that will be the most beneficial I can make them for my students.
    I also use supplementary materials, from the internet, math centers books, or other team members.
    Sometimes I mix the two. I'll take an idea from the Grab-n-go Kit and an idea I got from another teacher and create a new resource for the kiddos.
    But I'm with you, the centers activities in and of themselves I don't like. I generally adapt them to meet the needs of my students.