Anyone use Interactive Notebooks in the upper-elementary grades?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by collteach, Aug 22, 2006.

1. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 22, 2006

I attended some professional development sessions today, and ALL of the presenters talked about Interactive Notebooks (I believe these are a part of the History Alive! and Social Studies Alive! curriculum) and briefly discussed their use in elementary school. I think they sound like an awesome idea, but I wanted to hear some feedback about using them. I worry that my 4th graders will not be able to make the most of them....although one presenter mentioned that she knew 1st grade teachers who used them!!!

Any tips, advice or feedback would be appreciated.

3. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 22, 2006

You will have to walk them through it for a much longer period of time, but they will be able to do it. I do my pages differently from the suggested way. Kids naturally go left to right. So in my classes we go L=Left=Learning (teacher directed) R=Right=Response/reflection (student)

Have you see this site?

http://www.nonags.org/members/dasaunders/

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 23, 2006

I created one of these for my 5th grade Am. Hist. classes. I really had to take them by the hand to help them through, but the kids like them much better than just regular note-taking.

5. angela123

angela123 Rookie

Aug 23, 2006

Hi collteach!
    I noticed that you're from virginia. i am too! where are you located?
    I attended a bunch of meetings where they talked about the interactive notebook as well.
    Just curious :p

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 23, 2006

I know a lot about these types of projects, yet... please tell me what an interactive notebook is. I AM EMBARRASSED... :-S

7. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 24, 2006

8. collteach

collteach Comrade

Aug 24, 2006

angela123, I am in Prince William County, how about you?

Ms. Jasztal--it is basically a regular old notebook, but instead of simply having the kids take notes, they are required to "interact" with the notes. They can draw pictures, write poems, ask questions, etc. One side is for teacher-given information, the other is for student ideas, questions, etc.

Thank you to the others that replied with some information. I have decided to use Interactive Notebooks for science and social studies.