Anyone use Edmark reading program?

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by KLaMonda, Aug 8, 2002.

1. KLaMonda

KLaMonda Rookie

Aug 8, 2002

If you have, please tell me a little bit about it. Do you like it? Is it easy to learn how to use? How long does one lesson take?
    My school ordered it for me, but I have never used it. Thanks for any info!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 8, 2002

Well, I don't use it but other teachers in my school do. It works. It's repititious (sp?). It's kinda boring, but it works. It is good for low level students.

Lori

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 9, 2002

I used the Edmark program last year and will use it again this year with a very low level student . He has made wonderful progress on it. The lessons take us about 1/2 hr. We usually have to do them several times(twice with me and once with his aide) usually over a full day period and then the worksheets on his own(with his aide looking over his shoulder. They also have a nice computer component but it is really expensive. Good Luck

5. sarasped

sarasped Rookie

Aug 22, 2002

I have used the Edmark reading program (Levels 1 and 2) for 4 years now with K-2 students. It is very user friendly. We usually do a new word and a Direction or Picture/Phrase card each day. The lesson usually takes 15 minutes or so. We also have the students write the new word each day on a card that we keep on a ring so that we can review the words daily. If the student reads all of the words correctly he puts a sticker on a sticker chart. When the chart is full the student may go to the treasure chest. Good Luck!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 8, 2002

I use it with a learning impaired student and it is great. He is really seeing himself as a reader and it gives immediate reinforcement to the student. It is repititious but it works.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 10, 2002

I have used Edmark I and II with students 11+ who were not able to learn to read with any other program. It really works. The difficult part is with older students, to be able to use the words in other contexts.

I have also used Edmark Signs and Fast Food words with same students. Very effective.

8. ahughey

ahughey Guest

Sep 16, 2002

I have used the Edmark in TMD classes for 10 years and I can say that it works. It is easy to learn how just takes time getting to all kids individually.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 16, 2002

I have assisted in a learning support classroom for 8 years and we use the Edmark program and have for 5 years now. It seems to really help our lowest readers and the head teacher in my classroom swears by it. In fact, Edmark has become my sole responsibility, along with Edmark spelling. Sight recognition and phonetic sounds seem to improve dramatically with this program. Hope this helps

10. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 17, 2002

We started using this computer program that is Edmark-based with my little ones. It's called Baily's Book House (I think?). In my room, the computer is a lesson that can chosen during worktime. I rarely have time to instruct on how to use the different programs more than a whole group 5 minute crash course so I look for programs that the kids can figure out themselves. Anyway, it's a lot of fun, they really enjoy it.