Anyone use an overhead in 1st?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jlj, Jul 6, 2011.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

There was one left in the classroom but I only found a couple of science lesson transparencies. I've not used one but I think I would like to use it in a fun, interesting way. Any suggestions?

I can pretend, dream it's a smart board :lol:

3. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

You can make a center out of it. Students can use transparency letters to create spelling words or words using the phonics skill of the week. You can print a poem that has words with the phonics skill being taught and they can find it.

I used it last year during math. I teach 2nd so it might not apply in 1st. We use Saxon Math and I would often use the overhead to work out problems/model certain concepts.

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 6, 2011

Funny thing, I taught 1st grade for 3 years before moving to 2nd. I rarely used it in first but use it a lot more in 2nd. :)

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

Cover a fly swatter with plain whitepaper and use it to "lift" words off the screen. It's hard to describe in writing, just try it. Kids love it.

I also never wrote on overheads, because the cleaner made me sick. I projected onto a white board and wrote on that.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2011

I used to use magnetic letters and let the kids spell words that way.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2011

We used our overhead as a center. The students could work on anything at the overhead. They could complete a comprehension graphic organizer, work on spelling, vocabulary, grammar, they could write sentences to form a class story.

That's just reading/writing

8. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Jul 8, 2011

For math write problems and have students come up and be "the teacher" and show their peers how to work out the problem. They love to play school and pretend to be the teacher especially when using the overhead!

9. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 29, 2011

I like to use it with math, especially when I'm modeling something new in a whole group mini lesson. Many companies make manipulatives to be used with the overhead. I especially love money pieces. :)

10. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 30, 2011

Some great ideas! The science sheets I found were from a sample curriculum kit. I have nothing else for the overhead but would like to use it. So do you purchase blank transparencies & make things yourself (as well as students writing on them) or can you purchase ready made activities/lessons as well? Are they very expensive?