Anyone use a SMART Board?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs.Mom, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Just wondering if any of you use a SMART board in your room? How do you like it? What do you use it for? I am getting one installed in my room, and I have never used one before. Also, what are some sights that you love to use with your SMART board?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

I was supposed to get one in my old school, but never did. This is a page our regional tech person sent me. It's from a class, but most of the links work and are some great sites to use with the Smartboard. http://eduscapes.com/sessions/smartboard/

4. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I got one mid last year and i LOVE IT!! It's still new to me, so I'm sure I haven't figured out all the good uses for it yet. For me, the best part is that there are so many educational games out there. Like after I've taught a math concept, I'll find a game and we'll play as a class. I've also scanned a page of a book or student work to work on as a class in writing. I also do a lot of power point presentations now as minilessons for reading or writing. I'm sure that's not everything, but you can get the idea! It's very useful!

5. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Where do you go to find the games that you play as a class?

6. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 1, 2008

7. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Aug 1, 2008

I just got my SMARTboard installed this summer. I am so excited! :2up: I have found some math sites that I will use. They are on my website - which evidently I can't link (no links for newbies :(). I am working on making some of my own literacy lessons. My school system had training that I signed up for, it was very useful.

8. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Also, use your Notebook software. I believe it should be version 10. I am getting one too, and our trainer pointed out the gallery to use for lesson plans, templates, etc. It is very helpful. If you do writer's workshop, you can use the double-sided feature to show your text on one side, and the other side model writing.

9. seemoreglass

seemoreglass Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

Have on and love it. I never write on the board anymore.

One good activity I use mine for is number lines. You can create a number line and then a list of numbers. Then students can highlight the numbers and drag them across the the smart board to the proper place on the number line.

I also use it to play class games. If you're looking for 3rd grade...

http://mrdube.atspace.com is my website. If you go to games, you should find math games for all the 3rd grade math indicators (at least for maryland).

10. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2008

I use mine for science powerpoints i made all my notes into powerpoints. . I also use it for
    www.unitedstreaming.com
    www.innerbody.com
    I love mine
    I also find for body systems a human body and they go up to the smart body and write the name in ..
    There is alot of things you can do with a smart board.
    I use my every single day.

11. Mrs.Mom

Mrs.Mom Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Thanks for all of the info and the sights! I'm anxious to give mine a try! I've never used one before.

12. SmileGirl1117

SmileGirl1117 Rookie

Aug 7, 2008

The Smart Board is fantastic! I make power point presentations into "Virtual Field Trips" the kids love it! We did one to Washington D.C., one to the Vatican, and this year I am going to do one to Jamestown. It's a great resource

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I'm going to have one in my classroom this year - I've never used one before! I hope they offer good training because they sound awesome!

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 7, 2008

Our classroom is new to it so we haven't figured out the really cool stuff yet either but here is what I've learned...

*Kids like to come up the board and answer questions if they can manipulate it in various ways.
    *The black screen at the end of the powerpoint slideshow becomes a neon drawing/writing board when the lights are turned off and the SMART board pens are in use.
    *Interactive reading websites like www.starfall.com become attention grabbers that break up the plain reading routine.
    *The Daily Morning Message (or the class agendas) can be interactive, use animation and help students focus on the upcoming day/class (same with bell work).
    *Class Surveys (as part of the bell work) is a fun way for all students to wander up to the SMART board, interact and learn useful ways of recording data and answering different types of questions.
    *SMART boards can keep my students on track for an online game (same as the board kind) to practice things during a center to break up the routine of a regular center.
    *Kids love writing on the SMART board and they love pushing buttons to see what will happen.
    *Making a "Choose Your Own Adventure" type book for the powerpoint takes WAAAAYYY too much time.

15. teksox33

teksox33 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Smartboards are the best!! We have 4 roving ones in my school but I try to hang onto 1 as long as I can. I've used them for 3 years now and train the staff on how to use them. There are tons of web sites, templates, etc on the web. If you get some time, just google them.

I do have some practical advice for you. One, get some hand sanitizer and have your kids use it before they come up to the board. Dirty hands make it hard sometimes for students to manipulate the board.

Two, buy a pointer finger. I use one that looks like Mickey Mouse hand on a short pole. This helps in 2 ways. For students who are short (especially if your board is mounted), they can reach the top parts of the board. 2, many kids put their whole palm on the board instead of just using a finger. This throws the whole touch pad off. By using the pointer, it eliminates the palm or other fingers touching the board. I have also seen teachers tell their students to use their knuckles instead to help solve this problem.