Anyone Use a Prepaid Visa/MC?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2011

I got a new Nook Color & I know there may be (monthly) fees involved depending on what I do, but if something goes wrong & I'm continuously charged for something I don't want even if I cancel it, I don't want to be charged on any card I have that's tied w/ any of my bank accts, other personal info, etc., so I'm thinking of getting one of those prepaid cards, but practically all fo them have some kind of monthly fee too. :mad:

I'm looking on this site & this card may be pretty good:

http://www.creditcardguide.com/prepaid.html

AccountNow Prepaid Visa® Card

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 28, 2011

Yes, I used one when I moved. I gave one to my son to charge gas and for the motel rooms, food etc. It was a pain and did have a monthly fee. It was the best situation I could come up with. If he had used his credit card I would have had to pay him back (and he would have been back in Utah) if I gave him mine we ran the chance of him not being able to use it when I wasn't there. There was a limit to put on the card too ( I think it was 500) so I kept having to reload it. I canceled it asap and had to wait a few weeks to get the remaining balance back. I got a Walmart prepaid Visa one. It did serve its purpose though. I would use my own credit card if I were you. Credit cards are easy to dispute if there is a legit reason.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

What kind of monthly recurring fees are you anticipating? Are you 3 G?

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2011

I use a MC from the bank all the time.
    It ends up working like a gift card or cash anywhere.
    I just withdrew our Christmas fund from the bank and had them put it onto a MC.
    It was a $1000 limit per card.
    I think it was a $3 charge per card.

We use these for vacations like we used to use travelers checks. We kept one as a gas card, one as a food/expense card, and one as a hotel card. NEVER declined and no bill to pay later. It worked like CASH!

We just discussed tonight keeping one in our wallet at all times to use like cash. The one downfall is that you have to keep track of your own balance. But checking the balance online took only a minute.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2011

If I subscribe to a magazine, which I anticipate reading mags more often than books w/ my Nook, then that's a recurring fee from what I read. But, if the mag subscriptions on the Nook aren't less than $10, which I can get elsewhere, I guess I'll just use my Nook to read books & do the free 14-day trials for other magazines that I don't already subscribe to. I currently subscribe to about 15 magazines.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2011

Yes, I noticed that when I was reading up on how they work.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2011

I've purchased those pre-paid Visa cards from Walmart from time to time to make online or subscription purchases or when I didn't want my husband to know where I was buying his Christmas or birthday present from. The only problem is that those cards do expire, so it's worth being mindful of that expiration date so that you can use them up before that time. I think it's an excellent option for any sort of potentially recurring charge.

9. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I love that idea Caesar! :thanks:

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

Mine from the bank do not expire for 6 years!
    There are no other costs and can be reported lost/stolen and frozen funds.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2011

Rabbitt, that sounds good. So NO monthly charges at all? That seems to be the main thing w/ these cards. I'm going to check w/ my bank then.

12. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

That's A LOT of magazines! I barely ever get to read the 4 that I subscribe to!

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

My bank has this too..you have to have a minimum amount in your account to be eligible for this and you can get like 6 or 10 free per year.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2011

Yeah, but I got behind & now I have stacks & stacks of mags to still read.

I see, thanks.

15. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

Holy cow! 15 magazine subscriptions! There aren't even 15 magazines that would interest me. I like to read my husband's WIRED and I'll grab a Scientific American every now and then. I used to love the magazine George.

16. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 29, 2011

My town library subscribes to the magazines I would subscribe to. It doesn't matter to me if I get one that is 3 or 4 months old. If there is an article or recipe I'd like I copy it. I would have a hard time keeping up with 15 monthly magazines arriving around the same time, too. Also, we have a magazine swap in school. After reading a magazine you subscribe to you drop it in the basket to share with others. When done reading it replace it in the basket.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 29, 2011

I keep getting signed up for magazines, somehow. Random magazines in which I have no interest keep showing up at my door. I flip through them and donate them to my school.

18. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

My daughter has a Nook and I have a Kindle. Both are hooked to my regular credit card and I have had no trouble with either. It is convenient if we want to rent or buy a movie or book, I also have 2 magazine subscriptions. The same credit card is also linked to all 5 of our I-Phones. I did have some trouble with that last year. Someone hacked into my I-Tunes account and bought $500 worth of games. After I yelled at my son for doing something that stupid and he swore that he did not do it, I called I-Tunes. They verified that the purchase had been made in a Chinese motel and immediately credited my account.

19. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

I have never used the cards with a Nook but as a cashier at Old Navy over the summer they were a pain in the booty. You HAVE to know your balance on the card in order to be able to use it if the purchase price is over the amount on the card. So for example if you have a card worth $20 and your purchase is $25, the cashier has to be able to punch in the $20, other wise the card will be declined. It's EXTREMELY frustrated to get yelled at for something like that not working just because people don't know the balance on their card.

20. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Dec 29, 2011

Oh yeah... and we got a bunch for our wedding and tried to use them on our honeymoon cruise. Turns out they get declined in international waters.

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

They function like a gift card.
    I withdraw the money from my bank account and they add it onto the mc card. There is no billing or percentage rates.
    I did not have to have a minimum balance or anything.
    Just a one time $3 fee per card.
    Basically it does not function like a typical credit card but more like cash.

Hope that helps.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I had a thought - why not buy a Barnes & Noble gift card to use for this? I have had my Nook for over a year and have never had a billing problem, you can make it so that you have to put in a passwork on the Nook before each purchase too.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

I had a reason to visit my bank the other day & asked them about this. They only have a gift card for a 1x use (that you cannot reload).

That sounds like a good idea. If I can reload it, then OK. But, don't they need a 16 dig # & it has to be a major credit card brand (such as Visa, Mastercard, etc.)? Nevertheless, I'm going to call & ask B&N one say soon about this. Thanks!

24. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Dec 31, 2011

Chase has the gift cards and I have purchased so many that I went back and asked about reloading one. The cashier that I asked about reloading one, just informed me that they are going to do the reloaded gift cards NEXT YEAR! COOOOL! Well! Tomorrow will be next year. I hope they do is ASAP. It makes a lot of sense, 'cause they can save MONEY.
    Rebel1

25. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

I think that you are probably right that there has to be a valid credit card registered somewhere along the line.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Chase is one of my banks & they're the one I asked. They didn't tell me that they'll start having a reloadable one next yr. You'd think they'd tell me.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

I just got finished doing an online chat w/ a B&N Nook support person. They said a credit card would be required when I asked if I could use a B&N gift card instead. However, I just noticed they have Nook gift cards. How about using them?

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Oh shoot! I forgot to ask if we get an Educator discount on any Nook books, magazines, or apps that we buy. (You know how we can get a teacher discount in the store.)

Does anyone know?

29. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

I have my credit card linked to my account, but it charges any gift cards first and then when/if they run out it goes to my credit card. A Nook card is the same as a B&N gift card, they all work the samw way.

30. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

I haven't ever asked, I haven't bought any books that were more than a few dollars and frequently share books with my mom, so it hasn't been expensive enough for me to think about!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Thank you Tasha. I plan to use it mainly for magazine reading since I won't have time to read many fun books, being in a rigorous grad program these days (until 2014), but, hey, it's nice to take a break from the textbooks & read a magazine at least.

By the way, I never knew what all this talk about Angry Birds was until recently. How many of you play this? :)

32. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 5, 2012

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas. The 1st thing I did was download Angry Birds!

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 5, 2012

Ha! I've been thinking about seeing what it's all about, but I have too much other stuff to do! Maybe I'll get around to it. :D

34. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 7, 2012

I cannot reload the card.
    It is not connected to my credit card in any way.
    I found out about these when I asked about travelers checks.
    They use these cards now instead of TC.

35. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jan 12, 2012

Just an FYI, you cannot use a Barnes & Noble gift card to pay for monthly magazine subscriptions. However, You can use it to pay for individual issues.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 13, 2012

Isn't that interesting. OK good to know, thanks.