Anyone use a backpack for their stuff?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

My friend and I are both 23, and we will both be teaching HS. The other day we were discussing if we should buy a briefcase. Neither of us really want to buy one all that much. I know I will be teaching in two different rooms. I would strongly prefer to just use my backpack. Do any teachers in your school use a backpack? Do you think it will make me look too much like a student since I am young?

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

We were all given backpacks with our laptops. I don't use mine as I prefer my rolling laptop case. Easier on my back.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2012

In my last school I just used a big tote bag because I was driving.

In my current school I use a backpack because I have a long bus ride.

5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 1, 2012

I'm more for totes than back packs-- they make me feel too childish.

6. teach42

teach42 Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

I've always used a backpack but the students always had to wear uniforms so I didn't get confused with being a student as much. I'm still planning to use a backpack and the students won't have uniforms this year so I might be confused as a student even more. I've seen other teachers use them as well. It's just the most comfortable thing for me and I get confused as a student regardless.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

I'd say that the majority of my coworkers use a book bag/backpack to carry things home. I use a tote bag :)

8. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

I'm 22 and I teach elementary, not HS, but I use a back pack all the time. The first time I wore it my kids were like "why do you have a backpack on like a kid?". I explained to them why I use it and the quickly got over it. I used to have a lot of stuff in it and I feel like backpacks support your back more than a tote bag or a briefcase with only one strap.

9. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

Another idea may be a messenger bag. It looks a bit more "grown-up" than a backpack (if that's a concern of yours), and yet can be carried on the shoulder.

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

I have a messenger bag. Backpacks do not look professional. I would feel silly dressing up for teaching (dress pants and a nice shirt most of the time) and then slinging on a backpack.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

This was going to be my suggestion as well.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

That's what I use, too. I have seen some people at school with backpacks, though.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

Another vote for a messenger bag. Since you're likely to be carrying papers in folders, etc., I think the east-west configuration is more functional, too. Personally, I use a tote or a small rolling bag, depending on the current condition of my shoulders.

14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea for a good brand that will last me a while, but that won't cost me a fortune? I will probably use it pretty rough as I will be traveling to different classrooms. I see some on Amazon and can go off of some reviews there, but do you guys have any suggestions from a teacher's perspective? Nothing girly please (since I'm a guy :))

15. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

I'm not sure if you live near a Coach Men's Outlet store, but my local one has some really nice stuff and its not that expensive. I bought a black messenger bag for $100. I think it was regular price $198. Anyway, it's very nice and durable and I love it. I've seen a couple of backpacks for men also. If $100 is not a good price for you, I would look at Jansport backpacks. I have a really nice one and it only cost me $45 from Academy. They are very durable and have a lifetime warranty. if it messes up (zipper, etc) you can send it back and they'll fix it or send you a new one.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 1, 2012

For work I use a tote bag and/or a rolling cart...but I am elementary. I'm pretty sure the rolling cart is an item exclusive to elementary. :)

For the briefcase - I'm a woman, but I bought a nice one for my interviews/job fairs from Amazon. I tend to go there first because I have Prime, so I get free two day shipping. It's definitely worth a try - I got mine (Kenneth Cole, leather) for a great price.

I also got a fabric one - nylon I guess (gender neutral) from Staples awhile back. It's a laptop messenger bag.

17. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Aug 1, 2012

I can think of a few teachers who use backpacks - mostly the male teachers. I use a messenger bag. A lot of the teachers use totes of some sort.

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

I use a back pack. I have used messenger bags and totes, but I don't like bags that are supported by only one shoulder. My back tends to get tight and stiff when I use shoulder bags. I don't even carry a purse anymore, nothing but Coach wristlets for me. My current back pack is a Jansport. It still looks pretty new and I've had it for a year.

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

I use a tote bag too, just because it fits so much more than my backpack and it easier to stick stuff in/take stuff out. I use a backpack when we go on field trips so that I don't have to carry anything on my shoulder and my hands are free.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 1, 2012

I have the world's best backpack that I carried for 7 years at KU and it still looks brand new and I LOVE IT. I had absolutely planned on using it when I started teaching and my husband (the business man) talked me out of it. He talked me out of it for the reason you are concerned about.

I think it probably depends on what else you are wearing ... a tie, suspenders, trousers (I hate the word slacks, but that's what I mean) ... you'll look like a teacher.

21. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

I've been toying with the idea of getting a messenger bag myself, so I'll also appreciate any suggestions for purchasing one (I don't think we have a Coach Men's store around here).

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2012

I agree. When I do wear my backpack I look even younger because I wear it on field trips, and usually I wear jeans and a sweatshirt on a field trip. But...I teach elementary school so it's not like I blend in with the kids. But sometimes when we arrive at our destination the people there seem a little surprised to see I'm the teacher.

23. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 1, 2012

I have an older version of this one from Lands End: http://www.landsend.com/pp/lighthou...luggage-_-briefcases-laptop-bags&origin=index

It's expensive ($150), but I've used it every day for 2 years and it still looks like new. I've used cheaper bags that start to tear at the seams after a few months, so this one will save me money in the long run. (Actually, I got it as a Christmas present from my mother-in-law.)

24. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

No, I have a male friend that is young and been teaching 4 years and he uses a backpack. I personally think it's fine and more practical.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

I think that a messenger bag would be a better choice.

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2012

I've just started my 20th year, and I've never owned a briefcase. Most of the male teachers have leather messenger bags. The women have mostly totes.

Our assistant principal carries a backpack.

27. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

I used a messenger bag for my first few years. Now, I don't use anything. I have a tote bag in the classroom, I use if I need to bring a lot home.

28. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 1, 2012

Thats happened to me before. I went on a field trip with my kindergartners to the zoo at the end of April. I wore some khaki cargo shorts, a school tee, and I had my backpack on. In the backpack I had snacks for the kids, first aide stuff, emergency contact list, etc.

Anyway, I get up to the booth to check all of the kindergarten classes in (I was the trip leader) and the lady was like " Im sorry sir, the the trip leader has to check in. Where is Mr. ____?" :huh: I was like umm, right here. I am Mr. ____! See!" (showing her my school ID). She looked really embarrassed. Lol.:lol:

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 1, 2012

30. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 2, 2012

I bought a 31 Bag and added a file hanger..but that's the girl in me. =]

My male teacher friends at the middle school toss theirs things in backpacks or those messanger bags. They scoff at my 31 bag, but I'm sure envy it with it's ability to carry papers and things needed for meetings.

31. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

Timbuk2 and Chrome are the gold standard in messenger bags.

I'm a Timbuk2 guy myself. I have two of their bags and use them a lot. They are very durable and comfortable on a 15 mile bike ride. With the chest strap, they are as comfortable as a backpack in my opinion, and only Timbuk2 bags have the ability to be worn over either shoulder. I have a number of other bags, and they are not as comfortable.

The big advantage of a messenger bag over a backpack is the ease of access while wearing it. It can't be beat for the days when I combine biking and taking a bus or train.

The only thing I don't like about my Timuk2 bags is that they lack a handle on top. However, mine are older. Newer ones might have handles.

I've been very abusive to both of my timbuk2 bags for over five years, and both are still 100% serviceable- nothing has broken or come loose.

32. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2012

BTW, a good place to get deals on any kind of messenger bag is REI.

33. funkadelicfunk

funkadelicfunk Rookie

Aug 2, 2012

This will be my first year teaching and I plan on just using my backpack. It's pretty new and it was kind of expensive so I'll use it until it is just worn out. I like the idea of a messenger bag...but I already have a bag to use and it seems like a lot of people use backpacks. I'm a girl and I know most girls use totes but they always slide off my shoulders.

34. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 2, 2012

Thanks all! I have a perfectly good backpack to use until my first paycheck at least (moving to a new apartment and buying things for that took priority!), but I will probably invest in one of these messenger bags a few weeks in.