Anyone up for an end of the year brainstorming session?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by WaProvider, May 6, 2013.

1. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 6, 2013

My new position will be as a Preschool teacher for half day classes ranging from 2 ish up to Kinder entry. Like most classrooms ages will be split up (although I do dearly love mixed age classes). There are many things I love about getting back into the lil folk after my time as a public school EA. I am however slightly daunted by the fact this program utilizes a gymnastics gym (they are actually within the gym in a sectioned off room of their own) for the playground and the children will have no outside time.

I am thinking I will contract with the cities park ranger to see if we can schedule a hike or something for a once a month outing? And I am pleased that the children will get such great vestibular stimulation since our local area is cinching down so tight on playground equipment in the early ages.

How would you "naturalize" an industrial area classroom with no windows facing outside? It isn't in a great part of town so if we were to plant a garden or something outside it would be ruined/stolen and since we aren't year round most things grow during a time in which we aren't in school.

I am having a great time on pintrest looking at the reggio items to help bring the outdoors in....what would you do?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

You could have the students create windows to the outside. I love the idea of bring the outdoors in. It seems like a great compromise in your setting.

I would look at some plants that you could grow and bring in at the end of the school day. You could also set up exploration centers (ask the students to bring in objects related to your theme).

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 6, 2013

OH! I had thought of that tree that leads to the discussions of what the tree looks like for the seasons but I hadn't thought of the bulletin board window group project! I love it!

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 6, 2013

In addition Mopar I was thinking that if we had a stellar science shelf we could really make the best of our science discussions even though we are inside! Thanks so much!

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

I love the tree idea as well! Maybe even a person that you could dress up with different clothes for the seasons.

You might even want to create some large weather signs. Maybe your students could make a sun, rain drops, wind blowing from a cloud, or clouds to show the days weather in one of the window frames.

7. Alesia

Alesia Companion

May 6, 2013

You won't even have time for a short walk around the block?

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 7, 2013

@ Mopar...where is my like button? I love these ideas.

Alesia...it isn't that there isn't time....it is that we are in a industrial area and it would be a hike to the nearest open area. We have parking lot outside our bldg not yard...bummer. Like I said....the up side is that recess is in the gymnastics gym. As I am not the owner I am not providing insurance....somehow the gym has this covered under their indoor playground sort of event. I am just lead teacher ;)

I did get approved to take field trips with parents and car seats to the park/open area near us...but it is several long blocks away with a 45m an hour road between us....to cross and walk down.

I will of course do the insect lore lessons inside, plant seeds and take them home and what not....but when I was a home provider I was soooooo natural this will be quite a change.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 7, 2013

Do you have a water table or sand table? This could also be a great way to bring some of the outdoors in. Maybe you could even make a cover that the students could use chalk on.

Even in a parking lot area, you can teach about taking care of the Earth. The kids could pick up trash outside and sort it, try to recycle or reuse it. Every year we have the students find old items in their home/trash outside and turn them into new treasures.

Do you have a space outside to place items while the students are in school? We did a lot of sun or rain paintings just by placing paper outside. You don't need a yard to do these crafts.

Another great option is to find locals to come in. I know many pet store owners are willing to bring in some of their pets. I've had the fire department and police department come to me. I've also had parents with jobs that are willing to present.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 13, 2013

Here come my Ideas. The first thing I would do is create an environment rich in plants. I have seen a PS with lots and lots of plants. I mean, get some BIG plants to anchor some of the areas. Use potted plants to create paths to areas. Hang some plants from the ceiling. More and more centers are using sofas to create soft, book, quiet areas. If you have the room, you can create a great environment. More later. I really would like to see a picture of your space.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 13, 2013

I was thinking about plants....but there is no outside windows at all...there are windows but they look into the gymnastics gym. I was wondering if plants could grow in pure florescent lighting?

I will get a shot of space as soon as it is finished being built...it isn't a great space by anymeans. It is a long tunnel. High ceilings though? Thinking about draping fabric?

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 13, 2013

There are grow lights for plants. I think philodendron would grow anywhere. Maybe ivy. Ysou could use old shutters or louvered doors on the wall to look like they lead outside. Have the kids make murals to go between shutters - and change them with the seasons.

You will have plenty of space for trike riding!

13. mandamouse123

mandamouse123 Rookie

May 13, 2013

Also, think about lots and lots of soft stuff (rugs, pillows, bean bag chairs) and several bulletin boards on the walls. My room sounds a lot like yours: high ceilings, no windows, long tunnel. It echos like crazy!

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 15, 2013

I love the trike riding area. I once visited a PS that used a hall for trike riding. It would be so exciting to do that.

I have another idea I saw used in a long, industrial space. An aisle down the middle was lightly populated. The outside spaces were divided with shelving, etc.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 15, 2013

...In one area was a hospital. Another was a post office. Of course there was a housekeeping area. I think the others were woodshop, table games, and a large climber. I have always thought it would work in the right space.