Anyone Trying to Get Out of the Teaching Field?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms. I, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2014

Is anyone NOT of retirement age, but trying to gradually get out of the teaching field altogether due to burn-out, not wanting to commute anymore, etc.?

I'll raise my hand to that! The very end of 2013 & beyond is the first time my hope is coming to fruition. Since returning from the Christmas break, I commute only 2 days/wk where I work at a school. The other days, I have a couple other projects going on.

How are you going about trying to leave the teaching profession?

3. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

Sometimes I think about it…. then I think about working all summer haha. I came from England so I rely on having the summer to go to England and see my family and friends etc.

4. smokeylo

smokeylo Rookie

Jan 22, 2014

If you live near a university, you might look into tutoring opportunities there. Often athletics, TRiO, and diversity centers are in search of experienced teachers to work one-on-one with students.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2014

I'm leaving early, partially due to burnout, but more because the field of education has changed so much that I just don't feel that, morally, I can be a part of it anymore.
    I plan on getting a hobby job.

6. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jan 22, 2014

I think about it all the time and I've barely been *in* the field of education. Especially lately, I feel like I made a huge mistake going into teaching :/

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2014

Yeah, so many summers, I've worried about having all the time in the world to do fun things, yet not having enough money to do them (since school's out), but I shouldn't be having that problem THIS summer! :)

8. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

I just spread my pay out over 12 months and then don't work at all, except for some basketball stuff.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2014

Yeah, I used to be able to set up my paychecks into 12 monthly amts, but no longer at this school I'm at this school year. I still used to kinda run out of $ towards summer's end. :mad:

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

Not really looking to get out of the education field, though I did get a job where I'm not in the classroom as a teacher. Luckily my job is one that with a few more years experience, I could probably do some outside consulting work to supplement my income and retire early.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2014

Already out, and not looking back. :cool:

12. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2014

Yes. Burnt out after 6 years in my district. I'm positive that if I wasn't teaching in my district and I transferred to one of the surrounding suburbs, things would not be so bad but they pay much less than the city where I currently work.

Going to grad school again is really not an option, but I'm at the point where I'm thinking about going back to get my Counseling certification. I need to get out of the classroom ASAP but I want to stay in my district because the money is good.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2014

ICAM. Huge mistake.

I feel you on that.:thumb:

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2014

I can't wait till I can say that!

That's not bad!

15. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jan 22, 2014

I'm getting burned out, but I think mine is more due to the commute. I'm in the car 2-2 1/2 hours each day. With a 9 month old, I really hate losing all that time with him because of traffic...

I really do enjoy teaching, but I also think that sometime down the road, I'll be in a different field. Whether that's 2, 5, 10, or 15 years from now, I'm not sure.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 22, 2014

I'm into year 12 of teaching, year 9 at my current school. I think I will retire a teacher ... so, 20ish more years for me.

17. bison

bison Habitué

Jan 22, 2014

Ms. I, aren't you working on your second education-related masters? Are you looking to get out of the SLP field completely?

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

Ms I...you've held a variety of positions in schools/education settings. Did you ever feel a passion for, fulfillment in, satisfied by any of those positions?
    There are many who enter this profession not knowing what exactly they are getting into and, as a result, leave education within the first few years....people work for many reasons in many different fields...if teaching isn't for you, if you aren't making a difference for kids, if you are burnt out or just don't want to do this any more for whatever reason, go. Life is too short. Good luck to you in whatever you pursue.

19. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jan 22, 2014

I believe that I will be involved in education in some way for the rest of my career. Whether that be teaching, administration, curriculum design....my heart is with the kiddos and making their lives better :)

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2014

:thumb: me too.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 22, 2014

Burnout is rampant the type of special education school I teach in. I don't want to get out of teaching altogether but if I could work at a college level within 10 years I would definitely go for it.

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 22, 2014

I work as an independent contractor for a tutoring agency that tutors students who receive all their education one-on-one, or others who are in town to participate in an equestrian festival (it lasts for 4 months). It is not remedial tutoring. The year-round students utilize online curriculums. I love it.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 22, 2014

Yep in communication disorders & sci. To your 2nd question, maybe! Actually, the commuting for only 2 days/wk isn't too bad. But heck, if I can do something else that pays the bills & allows me to live comfortably all while working at home, I'm doing it! I'm still helping people...just in a different capacity.

3 diff positions if you're counting. I do like SLP work the best so far out of what I've done. I've been an SLP since Sept, 2011. Now, whether I'll continue it for the next decade or even several yrs, who knows.

24. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 22, 2014

Me, too, minus the administration option. I could never see myself doing administration. Education really what I am the most passionate about. I can't really see myself doing anything else. I might have more free time and be more rested, but I wouldn't feel fulfilled, I think. That's just me, though. Everyone needs to find what works for them. :)

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 23, 2014

Your last reason is mine. It wasn't that I wasn't passionate about the kids, it wasn't that I didn't like the job, I just knew going in that I wouldn't teach for the rest of my career. It was the place I needed to be, until...it wasn't. I don't know how to explain it other than that.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 23, 2014

kcjo13, I totally, totally agree! Who's to say that once one gets into a career, that they're meant or have to do that same career for the rest of their lives? And that's definitely not to say that they didn't know what they were getting into in the first place. Circumstances in people's lives change all the time. Feelings change, people want to pursue other interests, etc.

It's like you know how some people can't live in one place for too long, so maybe every 5 yrs or so, they're moving somewhere else? Same way & that's also not to say that some people are more stable & others are more flighty. Life changes.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2014

I'm not counting. You've shared a few times about how you pursued SLP after other positions.

In any case, enjoy what you're doing, Ms I. No one in life REALLY knows what they'll be doing in the 'next decade'. All the more reason to do the things that fulfill us now.

28. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

I'm much happier now that I'm out of the classroom. I'm still teaching, but only small groups. Sometimes, I spend time as a coach to teachers.

I've thought about teaching at the community college level.

29. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

I will be involved in education for my entire career. What that looks like is a mystery. Right now I'm a classroom teacher, but that could change in the future. I love being a teacher ... it's in my soul.