Anyone Try One of Those Fitness Boot Camps?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 5, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 5, 2014

I'm walking laps around my indoor shopping mall as I've started doing...I've done it in the past, but I'm more serious about it nowadays. These days, my BF walks w/ me, but he couldn't today.

I see the security guard on his Segway who I've seen there before. You can tell he's a person who works out. He comes up to me to ask what my fitness routine is & if I live in the area. He tells me he owns a gym & about his boot camp. I told him to give me a card or website & I'll look at it.

The card has a pic of him & his 2 buddies...shirtless I might add, but they offer $15 weekend boot camps. That's the price I like & wouldn't mind trying! Anyone done one of these things & how was it? I'm sure intensive!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 5, 2014

I have only participated in ladies-only bootcamps. I really love the bootcamp routines as you are constantly doing different things. Although I hate it at the time, I usually feel wonderful after completing each session.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 5, 2014

It's a bit hysterical that a fitness guru would be riding around on a Segway...:lol:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 6, 2014

I have a lot of friends that participate or teach boot camp, and I have heard nothing but good things from both sides.

6. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 7, 2014

If your goal is to shape up for the summer, it probably will help you out. If your goal is to develop a long-term fitness regimen, it probably won't work.

The reason being: Nobody likes "boot camp". Boot camp is made to: a) get you in shape and/or b) break you. Now, this is a civilian boot camp, so it is likely less tough. Nonetheless, doing something like this isn't likely to create long-lasting fitness because people don't like to kill themselves (figuratively). That's why I've never bought into Crossfit.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2014

Thanks guys! I'd be willing to try a weekend here & there when I have extra spending $. Yes, I'm trying to get in shape fast for summer & beyond since I want to make a lifestyle change. I already belong to a gym, but this place's price is MUCH cheaper, but I'm definitely NEVER cancelling the gym membership.

8. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 13, 2014

I was going to boot camp twice a week for a few months, and I was happy with the results. I even had the beginnings of a 6-pack. However, once I let myself slack, there was no way I could force myself to go back. Once I got over the initial excitement of trying something new, it started feeling like a real chore. It just wasn't fun.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 13, 2014

My wife's cousin has her doing this 21 day fix. They have videos to exercise with and some shake to drink. We dont drink the shake but they also have this portion control system where you only eat stuff that fits into these containers. The portion thing is good but the exercise videos are outstanding. You wkout about 30 minutes a day and they cover all the muscle groups. You can do a different one each day and you can have a support group too. All at home. I have done the wkouts a few times and they are excellent.

10. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 13, 2014

I have done a few fitness bootcamps with my gym and really didn't care much for the actual workout. I can work myself harder than I did in the bootcamp. The thing I loved about it was I could get my workout in before 6 am and with two little ones I had the remainder of the afternoon to complete whatever I needed to do.

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 13, 2014

What ever you do .......... GIVE IT ONE HUNDRED PERCENT........ Best luck to you ......... :)

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2014

For a $15 weekend, I won't be expecting too much at this place, so I still may try it here & there. I'm pretty busy these days, so we shall see!

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 14, 2014

You should try it at least once. $15 is not a bad price! Have fun!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 16, 2014

TeacherNY!

15. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 17, 2014

I think it depends on how the boot camp is run and the class size. I've seen two boot camps -- one I attended myself and absolutely hated, and another that meets up in my parents neighborhood.

I liked the latter best because it's a small group where the teacher can give everyone attention and assistance as needed. The ratio is 1:7 and everyone seems to know each other, they provide encouragement and whenever they stop jogging to do jumping jacks, or push ups, or sit ups, I see the teacher going to each person.

The boot camp I did was nothing like that. It was held inside a gym that was part of a local shopping mall. The classroom had all glass walls, so that meant people shopping and other gym members could stop and stare at you. (and believe me, they did)

There were 50+ women and 2 instructors. They formed 3 lines for "low" "medium" and "high" stamina. Each activity was modified based upon the line you were in. So you had people constantly switching lines. Like they might be able to do the jumping jacks with the high stamina line, but then when it was time for push ups, they'd jump into the low stamina line so they could do "girl" push ups instead.

It was extremely crowded, with very loud music that the teacher was trying to yell over (so we could barely hear her), and since there were so many people I couldn't move comfortably without looking out that I wasn't bumping into someone or being bumped into myself.

Since there were so many of us, the teacher couldn't help you for too long or really answer any questions.

It was torture, and not the good "It was hard, but I pulled through it, so yay me!" kind. No, my head was pounding, I felt like throwing up and like a completely failure because even the "low stamina" line was extremely hard.

So I never went back. My friend did a few more sessions, then quit as well.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 17, 2014

We actually have one at school that meets once a week. I don't go because I know I'm not fit enough, ironic as that is. The teachers that go are extremely fit, and they complain about how difficult it is and how sore they are for days afterwards. I don't think I would even last 5 minutes!

17. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 17, 2014

Glass walls are an absolute fitness deal-breaker for me. No way!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2014

That sounded like a real mess. Just looking at that, I probably wouldn't even step into the room.

19. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

May 18, 2014

I crossfit 4-6 times a week...love it. What makes it really great is working out with people that you enjoy. Everyone encourages and pushes and the trainers are fantabulous (at least at my Crossfit facility.) Yes the workouts are hard and "suck" in the moment but with dedication and consistency, I actually look forward to showing up everyday. AND, learning how to push my body and mind has absolutely transferred to my work...I am so much more efficient and have tons more energy at work. SO that is my experience:)

20. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 19, 2014

Ugh, it really was. I don't know why my friend and I stayed. I guess I kept thinking it was going to get better, but it really didn't. One woman claimed that she had lost so much weight from it because she'd done the previous 8 week session. I guess everyone's different. Me, I like small groups whatever I'm doing.

Anyhow, I think you should give the group you're thinking about a shot because if it looks a hot mess, you can always walk away. However, I suspect my group was more the exception than the rule. :dizzy: