Anyone took LOTE before?

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by lovetutu, Jan 5, 2008.

1. lovetutu

lovetutu Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

hi,
    I am going to take LOTE (languages other than English) subest IV (bilingual education) next weekend, but haven't started the study yet. I can't find any information about this test only there is a sample test of 10 questions on the CSET website. This test is transformed from BCLAD, but I can't find the pactice sample of BCLAD. Anyone has any idea?
    Thank you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2008

The Test Guides page of the CSET Web site has this to say:

"For information about examinations for a bilingual authorization, including subject matter requirements and sample test questions for CSET: LOTE Subtests IV and V, select your specific language of emphasis from the list of examinations below."

In addition to the set of sample questions from the Web page for your language of emphasis, you should also download the Subject Matter Requirements for Subtest IV - you'll find those in the lower left quarter of the page. The Subject Matter Requirements will tell you what Subtest IV tests. Identify terms and concepts that you don't know cold, then look them up on the Internet. You might also find that preparation materials for the non-bilingual CTEL exams are helpful; see http://www.ctel.nesinc.com.

If you search the threads on CTEL, you should also find some helpful resources. I don't know whether you can still find Diaz-Rico & Weed's book that 25YearsIn recommends, but I understand that Diaz-Rico has a new book out for CTEL. It will cover a good many issues that I would expect to see covered in CSET LOTE Subtest IV.

4. lovetutu

lovetutu Rookie

Jan 5, 2008

Thank you so much TeacherGroupie! I have read the study guide of CTEL. The part of Instruction and Assessment of CTEL seems also part of LOTE subtest IV. But there is not enough material about bilingual education, I mean the practice test because CSET LOTE is a new test.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 6, 2008

Information on the CSET Web site for Subtest IV suggests that it will be the same subtest for every language group - that is, unlike the other subtests, it will focus on the general phenomenon of bilingualism and bilingual education rather than on specific aspects of the language.

If there aren't practice questions, one good study technique is to try writing one's own.

This Web site focuses on Spanish, but there are some links for bilingual education and for organizations for bilingual education that you might find helpful.

What's your language?
    This wouldn't be the first CSET for which there aren't good study materials.

6. lovetutu

lovetutu Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

I see. My first language is Mandarine, so anything about the language, culture or history is easy for me. I just can't find enough practice material about bilingual education.
    Thank you!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2008

My apologies, lovetutu: this is the Web site I promised and then didn't deliver: http://instech.tusd.k12.az.us/resource/resource.htm

It has some interesting-looking links for bilingual education in general, in among all the information about Spanish. Organizations for educators in a given subject area often have useful information for prospective teachers, and there's no reason to believe that bilingual educator groups would work differently.

Mandarin? How cool!

8. embers

embers New Member

Nov 23, 2009

CSET LOTE-Spanish

I took CSET LOTE and passed the Spanish language III, but failed IV and V because I did not find the correct study materials. In particular, does anyone have any information on the many Spanish acronyms there are in Spanish V? Also, I hvae no idea what to study for IV which, by the way, I thought I did well on! I teach Spanish second grade dual immersion and I really thought I knew the methodology! I have been to many Dual Immersion conferences, does anyone have any suggestions who has taken and passed the exam?
    Thank you!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 23, 2009

Welcome to A to Z, embers.

For Subtest IV, you might want to have a look at some of the materials that are helpful for the CTEL exam: Diaz-Rico & Weed's Cultural, Language, and Academic Diversity Handbook comes highly recommended (you want the third or fourth edition).

For Subtest V, your best bet is probably the Internet: there are some fine Web sites for Spanish language and culture out there.

10. cateacher29

cateacher29 New Member

Jan 20, 2010

Hi,

I am also signed up to take the CSET Spanish subtests III IV and V in a few months. I can't believe the lack of study materials! I just wanted to check and see if any of you found any of the past suggestions to be helpful or if you have heard of any new books or study guide. I am mostly worried about tests IV and V. Let me know if you have found anything helpful!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2010

There isn't much in materials that are specific to CSET LOTE for the simple reason that the potential audience for all the LOTE exams is fairly small: the big publishers can't make enough money off a press run of a couple hundred or even a couple thousand copies. That being the case, it makes sense to look to materials that aren't specific to the exam but that do cover similar terrain. The Diaz-Rico book I mention above will help with the questions about teaching practice; for questions about the specific language, you could try AP prep materials.

12. AHF

AHF New Member

Mar 12, 2010

LOTE subtest studying suggestion

I took the LOTE subtest last year and passed no problem--surprisingly, since I wasn't feeling very confident going in! It turned out that most everything I needed to know I had learned in my elementary language arts methods class during my credentialing program. We used Thomas Gunning's "Creating Literacy Instruction". I'd recommend reviewing everything he had to say about instruction for ELL students before taking the test. It really helped me!

Now I just have to pass Spanish subtest V (cultural exam). Passed the language exam, but can't seem to pass this one! Taking it for the third time next week. Tips anyone??

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2010

You're taking it NEXT week? You posted today, March 12; the last time I checked, CSET was being given tomorrow, March 13.

Anyway, what are you seeing on side 2 of your score reports? Pluses, letters, checkmarks?

14. ANXIOUS

ANXIOUS New Member

Dec 12, 2010

Help!

Hi, i'm taking the LOTE subtest 111 and subtest V in January 8. I'm nervous I haven't found any study material. I'm not as worried for the subtest 111, but for the subtest V. If you guys have any good ideas or suggestions I would appreciate them.:dizzy:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 12, 2010

Breathe, please, ANXIOUS. And welcome to A to Z.

Which language?

16. ANXIOUS

ANXIOUS New Member

Dec 13, 2010

Frustrated

IT'S the Spanish subtest V. Any material, book would help:(

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2010

Okay, so Spanish subtests III and V... (CSET 111 is one of the Foundational-level Math subtests: I don't think you want to go there.)

Subtest III is a test of reading, listening, speaking, and writing in Spanish: you need to show that you can do these and that you can understand how they should be done. AP Spanish prep materials and practice tests are likely to help.

For Subtest V, your best bet is almost certainly the Internet. Google "spanish language culture history" to begin with, and play among the Web sites that result - make sure you've got a copy of the test specifications handy, because you're looking for information that talks to those, and don't be surprised if you find yourself following links to links to links. Next, make a list of Spanish-speaking regions. Make sure you know what the regions are and what nations are entirely or partly in them. In addition, make sure you can find each region and nation on a map.

That's for starters.

18. Angela257

Angela257 New Member

Feb 29, 2016

Hello!
    I just took the Spanish Subtest IV (LOTE) - I am required to pass Subtest III, IV, and V to obtain a bilingual authorization certificate-- I passed Subtest III and V in 2013-- but I have taken Subtest III twice now, and have not passed it-- I have not received the official transcript of why I have not passed it the second time-- however, I can assure you that I have not been able to find study material for this subtest-- I have read this thread but it's pretty old-- can you please help me? point me to the right direction for study material so I can pass it the 3rd time? It's so frustrating! Thank you!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

I haven't looked at the LOTE tests in a while - you may also find them called "World Languages" - but if III is speaking and V is culture, IV is language and linguistics. See if you can find a copy of Teach Yourself Linguistics by Jean Aitchison: it's oriented to British English, but it's very clearly and comprehensibly written. You could also rummage around the Internet for a book or site on Spanish linguistics or Romance linguistics for the elementary-school or high-school teacher, or you could use the subtest description doc on the Spanish test page as a source of technical terminology to look up online. (Wikipedia is your friend here.)

20. Angela257

Angela257 New Member

Feb 29, 2016

What you recommended in earlier years is different from what you just mentioned-- most of the questions on the test I just took were about bilingualism, dual immersion, target language, primary language. etc..., diffrerent theories of bilingualism, etc. would you still recommend those books you just mentioned???? also, the link you provided as a resource is no longer available... Thank you for wherever you can point me to get the information I need to pass the test.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 29, 2016

The thread was launched eight years ago: links do go bad in that time. What I mentioned back in 2008 and 2010 isn't actually that different from what I'm saying now, which is that a decent foundation in linguistics , no matter what language you're will help you: Aitchison's book is among many that give at least a cursory discussion of first and second language acquisition along with language structures and language history.

You might also want to look at the questions and answers for CTEL and for the relatively new CSET English Language Acquisition test. I might also recommend the California state standards in English language acquisition, available from the Web site of the California Department of Education (www.cde.ca.gov).

I don't have the links handy - it's been one of those weeks - but there have certainly been discussions of English language acquisition practice in other threads on A to Z.

As for the terms you've listed, look them up in your favorite browser, then look up the semi-familiar or unfamiliar terms that appear on the links you find. Don't ignore Wikipedia, which is the test taker's friend, but you may very well find some links that will serve you as well as the tusd link used to. (Pro tip: When a specific page or document has disappeared from a Web site that can plausibly be expected to continue to be interested in the topic, try searching the Web site using some of the terms you posted here.)