ANYONE teaching in Ohio??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dizzybri14, Oct 15, 2007.

1. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 15, 2007

I am trying to find out any "inside information" to finding a job in Ohio. I am cert. preK-3 in Ohio. I have been trying to find a job since I graduated June of 06, and was unable to find anything. After waiting for awhile for a job in Ohio I moved to NC and found a job right away. I am still hoping to move back to OH after this school year. I don't know what I need to do to "Stand Out". Any advice?

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Oct 15, 2007

I am a teacher in Ohio. I was lucky though to student teach at a school in my home district. I was then offered a long term sub. Then a contract position came open, and I was offered the position. Sadly, it's a lot of who you know. I was lucky enough to make good contacts during student teaching, so I could get my LTS position. It's a very very tight market. A girl I went to high school with has subbed for four years and hasn't been offered a job. Hopefully your experience will help you stand out!

4. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Oct 15, 2007

i'm currently subbing in OH. i graduated in '05 moved to VA to teach for a year and then moved back to OH when my fiance got out of the navy. i thought having a little experience might help since i didn't find anything right after graduation but NOPE. i taught preschool in a childcare setting in columbus last year and have been subbing after moving to the cleveland area when my fiance took a new job late in the summer. unfortunately
    buck8teacher is right... it's mostly about who you know or just getting lucky. there are literally hundreds (in some cases thousands for our area... prek-3) of applicants for jobs in some areas of OH... i meet 'unemployed' teachers all the time. i'm hoping things start changing soon though. i would say start searching early and try to rely on any connections you have... good luck!!!

5. glenn

glenn Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

I have a friend who teaches at a Catholic school in Cincy. She looked for years before she found her current job. From what she has told me about the job market it very hard to stand out. Teachers with years of experience have trouble finding a job in her area.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 16, 2007

I am sorry I don't have any more encouraging news than the above posters. PreK-3 is particularly tight. One thing that might help is if you are fluent in Spanish.

7. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Oct 19, 2007

hi-i am in the same boat as you! i actually graduated 5 years ago w/my pre-k-3 (what i jokingly call 'the kiss of death' licensure) credential. i have taught in some of the worst schools here....and been very successful to boot. yet i still have not been able to find a job in a "good" public school.

my plan for this next year is to start early, and be agressive. several other people already mentioned working any connections you have. i think that many times this is ultimately what it comes down to. case in point: 2 teachers were fired from my school last year. they now both have better jobs than me, b/c they knew the right people. seems so messed up, but it happens A LOT here.

anyhoo, good luck to you! maybe we'll both get jobs in the same great school!! :)

-meri

8. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Oct 19, 2007

I am crossing my fingers and hoping to find SOMEthing at this rate ANYTHING! I have been teaching here in NC at not the greatest of schools, so it doesn't really matter where in OH at this rate! :) good luck to you meri and I will cross my fingers for you too!

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 19, 2007

More of the same here :sorry:
    The Cleveland area has several charter schools that seem to need help (I can't vouch for the atmosphere though :) ). I was in private schools for 5 years & finally landed a public gig :) I would say start applying & looking early. Get together an awesome CL & resume. I have heard of people getting interviews by creating mini portfolios & sending them to schools. GOOD LUCK!

10. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Oct 20, 2007

i have taught at charters for the last four years. my honest opinion is that they're a good place to start (if you find an ok one :))....but eventually you'll need to move on. feel free to p/m me, though, if you'd like more info. about this. good luck to us AND everyone else who is still searching for that great job! have a good weekend!!

-meri

11. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Nov 24, 2007

I teach in Ohio, but not in the public schools. I'm in the Ohio Valley and work in a Catholic school for 15K per year. I live in WV and travel 30 miles each way. I'm hoping to find a closer job next year.

12. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Nov 25, 2007

I subbed the year after I graduated and earned my reading endorsement the same year. That seemed to help me get hired. Maybe that would be an option for you. I also concerned taking classes to earn a middle childhood endorsement, b/c there seemed to be more jobs available in 4-5. Good luck!

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Nov 28, 2007

I feel your pain. I did my training in PA (where I'm from originally), in an area where the market is super-tight, and moved to OH after student teaching to be with my fiance (now my husband). In PA I'm K-6, and here I'm preK-3; it irritates me big-time because I much prefer the older elementary grades. My husband is currently in law school, so taking a few courses for my middle child. endorsement isn't much of an option as money is very tight for us right now.

Actually, I am currently looking into moving to SE Virginia, where his entire immediate family lives, just so I can find a teaching job. It's where we want to end up in the long run anyway.

As others have already written, it really does mean a lot if you know the right people. It's so frustrating for me, being new to the area, because I know I'm a great candidate for the job... I just don't know the right a**es to kiss.

Loads of luck to you!!!

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2007

lilmisses, when I was reading your intro post, I thought you might be from OH. I have heard from many people in that area that the competition is fierce.

15. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Nov 28, 2007

Yes it is frustrating, but if it makes you feel any better... I know people and I STILL can't find a job!!

16. brittee

brittee Rookie

Dec 6, 2007

This is my second year out....I just want to start my career doing what I love....I am getting very discouraged :(

17. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

I moved to GA because I couldn't find a job in Ohio after I graduated in 2006. (Even with the few people I did know-including the guy that hires who was my elementary principal, it wasn't enough.) I've heard that they throw away applications that don't have 5 or more years of experience because the market is so tight. OSU just keeps popping out M.Ed's like we do NFL draft picks!

18. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Dec 6, 2007

brittee... i know how you feel... this is my third year out. i just had a conversation with my fiance about it this morning. i am subbing this year as a 'building sub' in a district near where i just moved. it makes it even more discouraging when i talk to other teachers who sub for the district that say they have been subbing in the area for 2-5yrs. i feel like i don't know what to do anymore... i am not sure i'm willing to invest 5yrs of my life as 'just a sub.' it makes me feel like i'm not good enough and i know that i am!

19. joy71081

joy71081 Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

I have a master's degree and moved to ohio last year...I am sorry to say that I have had no luck as well and I am very discouraged...I am probably going to go out of field for a while...as I am teaching preschool at a daycare...and I love the kids but it's not the same as teaching school.

20. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jan 13, 2008

**GREAT NEWS!**

i finally scored my first interview of the year in this horrible state! i hope that this gives some of you some hope. how did i get the interview, you ask? through connections, of course. the sad thing is i don't even feel bad about this. i have tried to do things the "right way" (send in stuff, hope for best) for so long....all the while watching people who are sucky teachers get good jobs. i am very tired of getting passed up and will now do ANYTHING to land that great job! my advice to all of you still looking (at least here in ohio) is to rack your brain for any sort of connection that could help you. this sadly seems to be one of the only ways to get a good job here. hang in there and DON'T GIVE UP!!

-meri

21. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

merigold, that's great news for you! It's very true that it's all about who you know when trying to get in to a school! Unfortunately, depending on your area, it's still not enough. I'm not originally from this area, but my husband's family is; his grandmother is close friends with two superintendents (and a third one who recently retired) of excellent local districts. Even that wasn't enough to help me out. :/

Anyway, best of luck to you and keep us updated!

:D

22. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jan 14, 2008

thanks for your best wishes....i completely understand where you're coming from, too! most of my connections have sadly :( not panned out over the last 5 years. i keep trying to work them, though, b/c that seems to be the main way most teachers get their jobs (here). this time i just seemed to contact the right person.

my interview will be in a few weeks so PLEASE send good thoughts/prayers my way! i can't wait to help others once I get the job i've been dreaming of! good luck to you and everyone else!!

-meri