Anyone Teaching in California?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Abroad88, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Abroad88

Abroad88 New Member

Aug 2, 2013

Hello, I was wondering if there is anyone who is teaching in California right now. I ask this because, I have been researching and I seem to be confused. I have and am certified by NY State in Early Childhood and Childhood Education. I have been looking at different
    websites and from what I gather I would still have to take
    several tests. These tests are basically the same three
    tests I recently took. I took a LAST which is general
    knowledge and all subject areas, the the ATSW which is
    based on Assessment and Child development, and the CST
    which is a content specialty, and was multi subject.
    Could someone clarify if they would transfer?

3. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

I'm almost positive that all teachers transferring from out of state must take the CBEST, CSET, and RICA (if you are elementary) in order to be Highly Qualified to teach in CA. If you have less than a few years of teaching experience, you will also need to complete a 2 year induction program.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2013

The requirements for educators prepared outside California but in the US are here: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl561.pdf.

If you have more than two years of teaching experience, California may not require CSET-MS (its version of CST for elementary educators).

Information on the Basic Skills Requirement is here: http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl667.pdf. It indicates that passage of another state's basic skills test can be accepted. LAST covers more subject matter than does CBEST, so you might want to find a credential analyst at the California county office of education where you live or to which you're moving to ask whether LAST is on the list of exams accepted.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 2, 2013

WAT?!
    So if you want to teach in CA, your (elementary) teaching degree means pretty much jack squat? That's pretty darn brutal.

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

TeacherGroupie posted the requirements above. What state are you in?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 2, 2013

The preponderance of posts suggests a state of vexation.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 2, 2013

I teach in California, but have no idea what you need to do to get your credential accepted. I suspect you will have to jump through many hoops, some rings of fire..etc. I suspect CA acts as if it has the highest standards.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2013

Pashtun, the CTC links that I posted earlier outline what's required for California to grant a credential to someone who has a teaching license in another state. Much depends on how long the applicant has been teaching and how the applicant went about establishing Highly Qualified status.

Heart, glad you got a chuckle out of that.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 3, 2013

I transferred from Michigan about 6 years ago.

I had an elementary education k-8 multiple subjects certification (undergrad) with two years of experience.

I needed to take the CLAD courses for my certificate and that was all. I was not required to take any other tests or complete the BISTA or whatever that two year mentoring program is. Although my first district was going to have me do it, it was not required.

I simply applied for jobs, got an offer and then worked with the HR department in the district on getting my certificate transferred.

You may want to start looking into the CLAD now, though. Districts are much more strict about it these days. You would have a much easier time getting a job with that completed.

Hope this helps!!

11. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Is clad still offered? I don't have clad but I have EL Authorization on my credential.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2013

CLAD is EL authorization; so is CTEL.

13. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Hmm.. Last I heard, EL Auth. Would no longer be tacked onto the credential. Is it true that teachers must now take MA courses in EL classes to meet new requirements? Or did I just completely make that up in my head? Lol

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2013

That would be a dumb move on the state of CA's part given the high EL population in California. It was part of the credentialing process not too long ago and it makes no sense to take it out.

15. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 3, 2013

I'm in a credential program now, and I've been told my credential will include CLAD.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 3, 2013

What it is, is a case of repackaging. EL used to be an authorization, but it's now an endorsement: the person who passes CTEL (which replaced the CLAD test) or the coursework that CTEL presupposes gets an EL endorsement. Current multiple subject and credential programs all do include the coursework - that's been in place for at least most of a decade.

17. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Thanks! I wasn't sure but had heard it through the grapevine.