Anyone teach with a Document Camera?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacher_cc, Jul 30, 2008.

1. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

I had seen a post about the ELMO...and another about technology, so I felt the need to ask another..

I will be using a document camera in my classroom this year. I am a new teacher, and wanted to know if any of you have used a document camera in you classroom. If so, how have you used it and for what types of lessons?

Are there any good websites that will be helpful for finding information on lesson plans/ideas on teaching lessons w/ document cameras?

THANKS!

3. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Jul 30, 2008

I use my document camera every day! I use it...

* to display material I only have one copy of
    * to display material I read aloud so students can follow along
    * to teach mini-lessons; just like I would with an overhead projector
    * to display student work
    * to display the objectives and focus for the day
    * to display instrustions/directions for group work
    * student presentations
    * record/take a pic of students...this is especially fun at the beginning of the year, they love to see themselves on the plasma TV!!

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

~I love to do science experiments on it when I only have one set of materials. You can turn the camera upside down, sideways, etc.

~Any type of math lesson especially if you have manipulatives. Kids can move their manipulatives with you.

~Show kids how to use balance scales, spring scales, etc.

~With kids permission of course, demonstrate how to fix up their writing paper. I like to use kid's work so that the other kids can relate to it.

~You can show movies with the projector portion if you have a DVD player either in your computer or classroom. Of course, you need to check the copyright first.

~When kids bring show and tell (if you allow that) they can display their items/pictures/etc on the Avervision.

Let's just say that I use my Avervision/Projector everyday. The kids whine if I don't. I rarely write on my board. My board is mostly used for displaying what to do after their done, posters, etc. Our Avervision is on during most if not all of my lessons because I use it SO much! You won't know what to do if you don't have one after you've used one for so long!

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2008

I had a little student white board that I would write one and display thru the doc camera. I didn't have to turn my back on the class, ever.

the projector was hooked through the computer and dvd player so I could show a dvd on the big screen or show the internet on the screen.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 30, 2008

We look at student work, and I'll throw stuff under it when I need to show something on the spur of the moment. Mine takes still photos and video as well, so I've taken pictures of the kids.

I have a SmartBoard, so I don't use it as much as I would if I didn't have that.