Anyone teach/instruct English Remediation?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mr.MiddleSchool, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

Hello everyone.

I wanted to get some feedback on something. Recently, my school has decided that every teacher needs to spend 30minutes a day teaching remediation in their subject area. My subject area is English/language arts.

Does anyone else teach/proctor remediation? If so, what materials do you use? What activities do you do with your groups (this is supposed to be a time to help improve standardized test scores as well). I want this 30 minutes of time to be productive and beneficial to my students and not just extra work for me-- I know that's a 'terrible' thing to say as an educator, but at the same time I'm also an honest-realist; this just seems like more work for me to do on my end.

Any tips or ideas on resources would be greatly appreciated. If you would rather PM your message that is fine with me.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays!

Mr.MiddleSchool

3. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

Help: Middle School English Remediation

Does anyone else teach/proctor remediation? If so, what materials do you use? What activities do you do with your groups (this is supposed to be a time to help improve standardized test scores as well). I want this 30 minutes of time to be productive and beneficial to my students and not just extra work for me-- I know that's a 'terrible' thing to say as an educator, but at the same time I'm also an honest-realist; this just seems like more work for me to do on my end.

Any tips or ideas on resources would be greatly appreciated. If you would rather PM your message that is fine with me.

Many thanks and Happy Holidays!

Mr.MiddleSchool

4. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Dec 15, 2013

Well I teach sped, so most of what I do is remediation. Sounds like your district is asking gen ed teachers to do this?

In my district, we usually look at benchmark scores. As a team they decide which skills the students are lacking in and go from there.

Depending on the number of students I have at the moment, I use anything from intense 1:1 instruction with workbook etc. And sometimes if I have more students, I rely on some of the online resources. Do you guys have anything like Study Island? You can pick the exact skill that you want the student to learn.

Oh, a good activity that would help with retention is the use of interactive notebooks. It doesn't really have to be the interactive notebooks, but something that is hands on.

If your state releases old tests, I'd use some of those questions and play a game with it.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 15, 2013

Can you look at the practical, necessary art of reading questions and comprehending how on earth to answer them? This isn't teaching to the test, but it is an exercise in how to find the verbs in short answer / extended response questions and understanding the directions. The greatest deficit I saw and worked on as a Title I teacher was comprehension of test questions and directions.

6. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Dec 15, 2013

Thanks, yeah, I've done everything except the interactive notebook concept. Just getting tired of the same-ol, same-ol and trying to find new approaches. Thanks again for your reply.

7. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 15, 2013

In my remediation classes, I've always stressed vocabulary (but useful stuff like root words, prefixes, suffixes, etc) and writing skills. I've found that those are two areas most remediation kids need help in, besides reading comprehension, which the vocab tends to help with.

8. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Dec 26, 2013

We have a class similar to that - just called "literacy". I've got tons of stuff especially for writing. What grade do you teach? One idea: show pictures on the SmartBoard - kids write "lead" sentences to represent the pic - or they write concluding sentences - or detail sentences - use all kinds of pics (superheroes, mountain climbing, eating - all kinds of stuff) kids loved it - also check out my facebook - I post all kinds of stuff I discover looneyteachr/facebook.com