Anyone taught someone who has skipped a grade?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Sep 3, 2011.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 3, 2011

I have a little guy in my first grade class who just turned 5 in June. School hasn't started yet, so I haven't assessed him or anything. Mom and dad say he's reading chapter books (because that's all there is to school, right?). He looks like he's about 3 and mom carried him into open house on her hip. Does anyone have any good resources?

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

Have they done any assessments? Parents aren't always right! How did they decide this little guy gets to go to first?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

One year, I had a first grader come up to second grade after only a few months in school. I assessed him the same as I would any student...reading, writing samples, math skills.

From the comment that mom was carrying this kiddo on her hip, I'd be expecting some maturity issues.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

Who decided to place him in 1st grade & not kinder? If he's being treated as a 3 year old, expect him to behave that way. Just because he's reading the words doesn't mean he's comprehending what he is reading.

We are required to do beginning of the year assessments on every child. If he's going into 1st grade he should be able to do those assessments.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2011

Start the year treating him as any other child: use the same assessments, activities, etc.

However, keep in mind that you may need to teach many school behaviors over that would have been taught in K. And he may not be emotionally ready for school.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2011

This should not be a parental decision...but an assessment decision at most. Our district has a June 30 cut off date so he would barely make the kng cutoff!

So he will graduate at 16 turning 17? Do they REALLY want him into the real world then? I would want to give my child another year young than another year old. Athletically he could compete 1-2 more HS years if not skipping 1-2 grades.

Most college scholarships, both academic and athletic, are given to students who are older in the class....hmmmm???

With that said, have grade one expectations and document anything that is not.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2011

Michigan's cut-off for Kindergarten is Dec. 1st. I really, really hope that before the school district registered him that he was tested.

I had a student who age wise should have been in 1st grade, but were extremely successful in 3rd grade! But this child had also tested gifted. His IQ put him in the exceptionally gifted rage. He also fit in very well with my 3rd graders. He actually got one of my boys who was very quiet to talk.

9. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Sep 3, 2011

Yeah parents have not had him tested. He went to a private (daycare) Kindergarten. I had a long talk with principal who said that the law says as long as they are 5 at the cutoff date they can start SCHOOL (not just K). Ultimately it is the parents' choice where they want to put him. :huh:

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

Ahh I have issues with parents carrying their elementary school child into school on their hip. I had a kid like this when I student taught in 1st. She didn't skip a grade but it was obvious she was babied at home and it affected her in school, especially socially. I could definitely see that being an issue with a child who has skipped a grade.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2011

That makes no sense to me. Why do the parents get to choose where to put him? What's stopping them from saying well he can read chapter books so let's put him in fourth grade?

12. iloveschool

iloveschool Companion

Sep 3, 2011

I taught pre-k last year and had a gifted student that was tested at the end of the year and placed in first grade. I was moved to first grade this year. they placed the student in my room to make the transition easier for her. She is doing great!!!even better than most of the other students.