Anyone taught GED/Adult Ed?

Discussion in 'High School' started by Kay75, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Kay75

Kay75 Rookie

Sep 13, 2010

This year I am teaching Special Education English. I came from a background of teaching Adult Ed part time and really miss it. I now realize my district has full time GED teaching positions. I feel like so much of my job is about my caseload and nor actually teaching. I am considering going in the direction of teaching GED next year.

Anyone have experience with that and what were your feelings? I teach inner city SPED kids, so I am fairly certain the kids will be similar. Do you think they work less or harder than regular high school kids? Also, does your district work on a FT schedule Do they go the same hours? Finally, do you have to teach all 4 subjects? I'm sure it varies by district, but I am curious about your experiences as I consider my career path.

*Btw, I could not find a thread for this post, so I put it here.

3. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

Sep 29, 2010

I taught GED math for a few years and it was very rewarding when my students got their "diplomas". I did taught it in addition to teaching High School math. I always drove home wishing that my high school students were more like my GED students. I would totally recommend it.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 30, 2010

I would guess that those in a GED program were there because they wanted to be. Which is a huge thing when you look at all the high school students that are just hanging out (and sometimes causing trouble) because they have to be.

5. Kay75

Kay75 Rookie

Oct 31, 2010

Thanks for the insight. This is helpful as I consider career moves. I honestly just miss teaching. I don't mind the kids with problems, but I do mind staying up til 1 am doing paperwork for IEPs.