Anyone taken the Spanish CSET?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by vivalavida, Oct 31, 2012.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Oct 31, 2012

I'll be taking subtests 1 and 3 very soon (on the same day) and am curious about exam day. Since I'm skipping subtest 2, will I be sitting around for a huge chunk of time between the two subtests? For the speaking portion, will everyone be recording themselves at the same time (like the AP exam) or do you record yourself in private? Just curious about the "layout" of the day. I can't seem to find any information about it.

Thanks! :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2012

The stern notice on the Web site that latecomers will not be admitted makes me think that Subtest III goes first (for those taking it); once all that's done, test takers almost certainly can tackle whatever subtests remain in whatever order they darned please.

It wouldn't surprise me to find Subtest III for all languages offered in language labs.

4. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 1, 2012

This may be a silly question, but what exactly is a language lab? Just a room where you have resources to listen/record the language? I'm concerned about trying to speak in Spanish while listening to other people speaking at the same time. It seems like it could be extremely distracting!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2012

Language labs usually involve something like carrels and sound-isolating headphones; you hear whatever the linguistic input is and yourself, you record yourself, and there shouldn't be much sound filtering in either to your ears or your recording that either isn't being played for you or that you're not making. I'm sure the technology's advanced a lot since I was in school doing this.

6. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 1, 2012

Thanks, TeacherGroupie! Do you know how long each subtest is and if the individual parts are timed?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2012

The standard CSET paper-based test session is five hours. Takers of a test that is solely written (such as the four subtests of CSET English) can deploy the time however they like and are free to go back and forth between subtests. For a test like yours, once the audio portion is done - and that is not the whole of Subtest III - you can spend the rest of the five hours as you will.

8. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 2, 2012

So the audio portions - both listening and oral - would be done prior to any other parts of the test? The other sections of each subtest aren't timed, assuming you finish within the 5 hours?

Thanks so much for your help, btw! I am so nervous and this helps me to feel more comfortable with what will happen on test day!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2012

I don't KNOW that the audio goes first, but I INFER that it does from this notice about Subtest III on the Test Selection page: "Because Subtest III includes recorded components, examinees who arrive late will not be admitted."

In any case, yes: unless there's a compelling technological reason to do otherwise, a CSET subtest is not individually timed.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2012

Oh, and breathe, please.

11. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Nov 2, 2012

Thanks, TeacherGroupie! I'll try to keep breathing. ;-)