Anyone sub in Chicago? Just a question...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by CTSpaEngTeach, Jun 12, 2015.

1. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Jun 12, 2015

I live in CT and I am planning to move to Chicago within a year. I called the Illinois Board of Ed and they told me that indeed I could apply for a substitute teacher license even if I didn't live in Illinois yet, so I did. I just got issued my license, and now I plan to wait until this year pans out (the sub license is good for 5 years), and then I will move. However, anyone knows what the system in Chicago is? Is there a website through which you find out about assignments? What's the pay rate per diem? (I have looked and looked online and I can't find anything official, from the Board of Ed on pay rate).
    Is there a big need for subs in Chicago? I have no problem subbing at any grade or at any of the allegedly "bad" neighborhoods. In fact, I actually love those challenging schools that not many are thrilled about. Anyone sub in Chicago?
    Thanks a lot!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 12, 2015

If you are looking at Chicago Public Schools specifically, then check out this link: http://cps.edu/sitecollectiondocuments/substitutepositions.pdf.

Here is link for charter school subs, as well: http://cstnchicago.com/about.php.

You can also check out various suburban school districts. The best way to find a sub job is to go to the district's careers page and apply directly.

I used to sub in Chicago, but for one of the suburban districts. At the time, CPS wasn't hiring any subs because they already had too many. I'm not sure what the status is right now.

4. CTSpaEngTeach

CTSpaEngTeach Rookie

Jun 12, 2015

Thanks a million!!!! :)

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

Jun 12, 2015

If you're interested in the suburbs, most districts' jobs are posted here:

https://www.k12jobspot.com/Job/Sear...ance=&ParentCategoryId=&CategoryIds=-1&Page=1

That's the link for subs in IL, though the site covers all education job categories.

Just to note that there are a few districts that employ a small pool of subs on a permanent basis. I think they offer or provide insurance and pay whatever the first step on their salary schedule is.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 27, 2015

The Chicago suburbs vary by district from $80/day to $100/day

7. blauren

blauren Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

I moved to Chicago a couple of years ago. Subs definitely don't make very good money here for the cost of living. I made more in Ohio for subbing. Look into assistant/para jobs for CPS. I believe they actually make more money than subs do plus you get health insurance.