Anyone student teaching this semester?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Teacher2Be2007, Jul 14, 2007.

1. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Sep 7, 2007

We do the staring thing too. We are up and moving so much that the kids think it is weird if we are standing still, waiting. THey realize something is WRONG if we are. It takes MUCH longer at first, but they are getting better. We also have a maraca (sp?) for the group work times when they wouldn't notice the change. THey think it's funny when we dance around like idiots with a maraca.

2. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 11, 2007

I don't start my student teaching until the spring semester, but after reading all your posts, I must say that I'm disappointed that I'm not doign it now. I would really like to see how a seasoned teacher sets up their room and have them explain all of that to me. That's one of my biggest concerns, setting up my room so that it's conducive to learning but still warm and inviting.

3. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 11, 2007

That was the biggest reason I wanted to do it now vs. in the spring. I'm sure though if you ask your teacher (when you get assigned one) what kind of things they do at the beginning of the year and ideas for setting up they'll be more than happy to share. I did love seeing how it was all done in the beginning of the year though because the only other time I observed students they were all into their routines and expectations already.

Good luck!

4. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 11, 2007

That's what I've found too. I've heard from more experienced teachers that gettign back into the swing of things in the beginning of the year is difficult, so I would love to be there to see the strategies that my CT would use. I guess I should start a notebook with all these questions. :p

5. ST25

ST25 New Member

Sep 12, 2007

I am starting my second quarter of student teaching on the 24th of September. I'll find out what grade on friday. I am so glad I found this website because I think my husband is tired of listening to me complain about the workload. Plus he doesn't understand what student teachers go through. With three classes and student teaching full time, it is going to be a crazy quarter. Hope I can do some venting with all of you. Good luck to all you student teachers this fall!! It's an amazing experience and journey !

6. ST25

ST25 New Member

Sep 17, 2007

Just found out I am student teaching in a fourth grade class! Hopefully this is a fun grade. I am a little scared :(

7. Historygal

Historygal New Member

Sep 22, 2007

I'm student teaching this semester as well. I'm almost halfway through it already since I get my midterm evaluation the first week of october.

ST25, you will love 4th grade. The older elementary kids are just amazing, I'm in with 5th graders and I couldn't have asked for a better class.

8. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 22, 2007

Looks like I'll be done at the end of this week. My student teaching was able to be cut short a few weeks in order for me to get a full-time classroom job. I start 2nd grade, my own classroom, sometime next week! :wow:

9. kenny2teach

kenny2teach Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

wow, that is great! It's going to be soo good for you, how come it got cut short.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 24, 2007

I am jumping in here late, but wanted to add that I am student teaching this semester. I am excited, nervous and overall stressed about the entire process! It's all a little overwhelming. I am excited to be able to connect with so many other student teachers through this board. We have to stick together!

11. ST25

ST25 New Member

Sep 25, 2007

You were right Histroygal! Upper grade is really fun. Today was my first day of ST and it went pretty well. I agree it can get a little overwhelming but we need to take it one day at a time!

12. Teacher2Be2007

Teacher2Be2007 Companion

Sep 28, 2007

Sorry I didn't see this until now, it's so darn busy! :lol:

They cut it short since I was offered a job and they have a minimum that you can student teach without it affecting your requirements so today was my last day and I start at my new school on Monday.

13. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Oct 10, 2007

I start student teaching monday -- 4th grade a little nervous I would prefer little ones but it will probably be just fine

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 11, 2007

Just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. I'm student teaching this fall in a 7th grade science classroom for two months and then a biology high school classroom for another two months. I'm located in New York state, which I found out only requires 20 days of student teaching... but my university requires 4 months of it!!

It'll be great getting to speak with you fellow Student Teachers :D