Anyone still use a paper gradebook?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HistTchr, Jul 25, 2012.

1. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

My school still gives us one every year, but I will admit that last year I only used it sparingly since we now have to keep an electronic gradebook, too. I was in a teacher supply store yesterday, and saw a whole collection of them in there. That made me wonder how many people still use them. I would say that my school is about 40%/60% between using and not using them.

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

We have to use one at my school in addition to our electronic grade book.

4. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I still use the paper grade book as well as an electronic grade book. I record the grades first in the paper version, then on computer. Not all the grades from the paper version go into the computer. I like having the paper grade book for a back up. It sounds like a lot of work but it works for me.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

I still do :)

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

I do use my paper grade book. When I grade papers, I enter them alphabetically in the grade book and then it only takes me 15 second to enter them electronically. Many of my colleagues just print it out weekly. I like to use paper because I code certain things like 1 day late, 2 or more days late, and I leave it empty if the assignment was not handed in. I have to put a 0 in the computer so it calculates. I know it seems like an extra step but it works for me.

7. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I plan on using both this year. Using an electronic grade book is something new for me.

8. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Jul 25, 2012

Plus you can get them at Target and the Dollar Tree for $1 verses the $6 plus dollars for the grade book at the teacher supply stores.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I use the free one that our school provides each year. I don't actually use it for grades though. I mostly use it to quickly check who has an assignment and who has passed certain skills.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

We are also required to keep a paper copy. As in a regular gradebook, and then we enter the grades online from that.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I do---I still like the back up of having one on paper!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 25, 2012

We are required to keep attendance in it. Some still keep a paper copy of grades. I created charts that I used for grades. We had some issues with JPams this past year. I was glad to have the copy.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

Christy, can you elaborate on your charts? I'm looking for a new method.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 25, 2012

Our school stopped buying grade and plan books years ago. I have bought the $1 ones at Target. Usually I make my own in Word.

I tried only putting hem on the computer, but after a few times of the computer losing grades, I started keeping a paper backup.

15. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

I print out a blank checklist roster from our online program and use that. Like others have said, I like having the paper backup, plus I have my own little set of codes I use on paper that don't necessarily relate to the final grade posted online.

16. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I have used both (the school gives us one for free) but I'm considering going strictly online next year. One less step for me.

17. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

I do. I need it because often the electronic one doesn't tell all the facts. If a student misses my class due to a field trip, I need to know that he was absent from the lesson. But the electronic gradebook would mark him present. If a student leaves class 35 minutes early, the system would say he was absent but he really got all the materials he needed from me beforehand.

I also need a place to write notes about grades. Is Johnny missing a quiz grade because he was absent? Because he didn't turn in the quiz? Because he cheated?

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I wish I could go electronic, but we're on the Standards-based system (rubrics, 4, 3, 2, and 1)...so I don't know if electronic gradebooks exist that can handle rubric scores?

If they do, I'd be grateful to learn about them. :)

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2012

Well, since starting a new school this year I really don't know if they are going to require we use a paper one in addition to the electronic one. In the past, however, I stopped using my paper gradebook as I felt as though I was doing double work. I just updated my electronic one daily and stayed up-to-date with it.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 25, 2012

I use engrade.com to do my grades, but I use a paper template to mark down who turned in what-- not for grading purposes. If I let students collect homework to turn in, I let the student mark down who turned in what so I can easily see who's absent or turning the work in late.

I can't imagine sitting there with a calculator and working out 140 student's grades!! :(

Only once has a guidance counselor asked to see one student's grade (the student's parents didn't believe their child earned an A in science :confused: ) but engrade allows me to print out all the grades for that marking period for one child so it was easy enough.

21. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I too print out the roster sheet from our on-line grade book. Since I print it out landscape, I can have the program add blank columns, so I have enough space to enter grades for the six weeks. I keep the paper copy so I can:
    • Have a backup copy, just in case
    • Write notes about various entries - as another poster stated
    • Average homework grades before I enter an overall homework grade in the electronic book
    • Record grades when I'm away from a computer. I tend to take grading with me so I can work on it waiting for an appointment, while my children are at sports practice, etc.
    • Allow practicum students to enter grades in the gradebook without worrying about them messing up on the electronic one. The printout looks the same as the actual online gradebook, so they get the idea.

22. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

I probably will go back to doing both this coming year, as well. For some reason, I feel less organized/on top of things when I only enter the information into the computer. I did it that way last year, though, to see how I would like it. Like others mentioned, there are certain codes that you can make in your own book that are not as easy to do on the computer. For example, I often grade homework assignments for effort, and write a check-plus, check, check-minus, etc. on students' papers. When I kept a paper gradebook, I would just write the "check" grade in there so I would remember that the assignment was not graded for accuracy. You can't do that on the electronic one--only number and letter grades are used on there. Also, I usually set up my paper gradebook chronologically, and put attendance and grades on the same page. (I would write the attendance in small writing in top of the day's box, and then write any grades for the day in bigger print.) Like other people mentioned, that made it easier to see who was missing an assignment due to absences, tardiness, cuts, etc. I like seeing the immediate grade changes when you enter everything online, but I guess overall I am a traditionalist when it comes to keeping records of students.

23. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

I use a paper gradebook and an online one. I let my students keep their tests, so I like to have a backup.

24. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

I do the same thing. I don't trust only having an electronic gradebook.

25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I use both

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 25, 2012

I don't.
    Ours is backed up off-site.
    I used to print it off every couple of weeks, but I quit doing that.

27. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 25, 2012

Not a chance! I kept both for a year, but after that I saw not reason to continue with doubling up on the work.

28. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2012

Our school gives us one, but all teachers are required to use an online gradebook. We also have to turn in our gradebook at the end of the year. We just print out the class grades for each quarter, paper clip that into our gradebook and turn it in. Besides our name on the outside cover our gradebooks are totally blank.

29. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

We aren't required to keep an on-line grade book. All of my assessment and evaluation data is (gasp!) on paper.

30. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2012

I do. I love the ability to do my grades anywhere I have a calculator.

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2012

Our school gives us a free paper gradebook each year. We are required to keep our grades online in JPams, but are strongly encouraged to print them out weekly to keep in our gradebooks. I paper clip the weekly versions to my gradebook, then remove them and staple in the ones for the end of the 9-week marking period. Then we have to turn in the paper book at the end of the year. Our district can't decide if they want to be electronic or not.

32. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 25, 2012

I don't. I enter grades on my iPad if my computer isn't at the ready. We are required to have updated grades every Monday on PowerSchool.

33. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jul 25, 2012

I use both.

34. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 25, 2012

We still use only paper grade books.
    I do have to ask - Why on earth would your school give you a paper grade book and not have you use it? Having them available if they wanted to give you a choice, okay. I can also understand using both paper and computer,but paper clipping the grades into an empty book to turn in? That I don't understand. Sorry but there is so much waste of the taxpayers money and then they pull budget cuts, expect teachers to pay for class supplies yet take pay cuts or no raise..... :eek:hmy:
    Okay so paper grade books may not amount to a lot but combined with everything else it adds up. Just makes me :mad:
    Sorry, guess I needed to vent. :blush::wub:

35. mrsenglish

mrsenglish Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

I'm strictly electronic!

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 25, 2012

When I had my own classroom just recently I used a paper grade book, but not by choice. The district does not use any electronic form of gradebook, I tried to set up my own through Engrade, but it would not have worked. The school setting wasn't traditional, i had students coming in and out of classrooms, moved around, often put in there, only to be moved out in a few days. It would've been just too much work for nothing.

When i did student teaching I also handled the grading and loved the electronic service the district used. I was able to use a point system and it automatically calculated the grade, easily showed missing assignments, etc. It was so easy and simple.

37. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Jul 25, 2012

I think that redundancy in this regard can be very helpful.

38. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 25, 2012

I am only required to submit my grades electronically, but I keep them in a paper gradebook as a back-up.

39. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jul 26, 2012

I learned the hard way last year. Our school uses electronic grading. They also give you a paper gradebook. I was doing everything electronic. When it came time to copy my grades to turn into the principal at the end of the year the system wouldn't let me copy them. I kept trying to contact the lady in charge of the system but she wouldn't get back with me. I told my principal about it and ended up writing everything out by hand off of the system. From now on, I will always keep a paper copy too!

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

Our electronic gradebook is our official gradebook. We don't have a choice but to use it. And no, I don't back it up with a paper copy. Honestly, I don't stress about it. If it goes down, then we all go down, and I'll let people who get paid more than I do worry about that!

41. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 26, 2012

I haven't in years. Starting this past year, our grade book program is completely run and backed up by the district, which means we don't have to turn anything in at the end of the year. Like bandnerdtx, our district tech people will worry about what happens if the entire system goes down. Our grade book has a place to make notes about grades if you need to note that someone was absent, etc., and you can do it from home.

Our school is a LEED school, so we are really encouraged to reflect on our paper usage and reduce the amount of paper we use for administrative tasks.