Anyone still here that has left teaching?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Simba, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 24, 2018

I apologize if you have already read this post in the General Education forum...I have yet to receive a reply yet and thought this forum may be beneficial.

Hello!!

I'm interested in leaving my teaching position and pursuing a position in higher ed. I do not have a masters degree. I live in a city with several colleges and universities. I have applied and interviewed for a few admissions positions. My plan would be to accept a position if offered and go back to school for my masters.

My questions are for previous teachers that have moved on to higher ed. I'm really interested in becoming an academic/admissions advisor. I went into teaching because I enjoy building relationships and rapport with students. My current situation is extremely negative and I teach over 400 students per year.

I'm a single mom working two jobs and I'm afraid to leave teaching because I feel like that is all I know. Does that make sense? I'm afraid I'll make a mistake giving up my summers and moving to an 8-5. I struggle with depression in the summers due to the lack of schedule I have. I also would need to take a possible 10,000 pay reduction.

Can anyone who has moved on to higher ed (non teaching) please reply and provide the positives to leaving your teaching position please? I'm so afraid of making the "wrong" decision leaving the classroom.

The final issue I have is the state I live in. We must resign from our teaching position by July 10th. If we resign after that date, we could have our license suspended for a year. I know some schools let teachers resign after that date. My school is not one of them. I have been looking for positions since April.

I have found it is much more difficult to leave the teaching profession due to our contract year. I have seen many positions in higher ed open throughout the school year, but I could not break my contract mid year.

I really appreciate any advice and replies to my situation. I'm not sure I can handle returning to the chair throwing and being sworn at daily. I have applied to other districts, but I'm afraid with the few years I have already, I may be at that point where a new teacher is much less expensive.

Thanks everyone!!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 24, 2018

Two of our teachers left this year. They were around years 6 and 10. One is going to sub. The other went into health services. We had one leave higher ed to come to us, but not the other way around.

4. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jun 24, 2018

Thank you!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2018

If you move into higher ed would you need your license?

In my area, no one would have a chance of landing a job in higher ed without advanced degrees, and there are at least 7 colleges/universities within easy driving distance.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2018

If you are looking at going into Admissions on the university level, your background and experience, especially if you work with high school students, would be an asset. I don't believe you would need a graduate degree in that kind of position since you wouldn't be in the classroom teaching content.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 25, 2018

My teammate looked into this last year; she got an offer but the pay was very low, about half that of her teaching salary. If you do go this route I would consider that since you'd be working the full year, you're really even taking more of a pay cut because you'll be making less money to work more days. I'd also try to find out what the potential for salary advancement is in that kind of position. Will you get raises?

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2018

Sometimes the change is needed and, even with a decrease in pay, it might be worth it to you. You should follow your heart at this point of your career before you become vested in a pension plan and unhappily, "stuck." I understand that misbehaviors can make the job miserable, the opposite is also true. You mention chair throwing and name calling. Is this toward you or toward each other? Is there anyone who can help with these behaviors or is it building-wide?

sagescience2 likes this.
  9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

Be careful; many districts will not hire teachers with much experience, because they are more expensive.

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

That's if they are willing to give you credit for your experience on the salary schedule. Some won't. So your experience won't work against you. But it won't work for you either. You may end up starting at the bottom again, in regards to salary.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 29, 2018

I was an elementary-level special ed teacher for just a year right after getting my MA in special ed, but have since switched gears to SLP (speech-language pathology) in which one needs a grad degree for that, so I also earned an MS in communication disorders & sciences. I've worked as an SLP for 3 yrs now. It would have been longer, but I'm on a hiatus from that.

I personally don't know anything about becoming an academic/admission advisor, but good luck.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 29, 2018

I have not made this switch myself, but I have had many dealings with admissions counselors over the past few years thanks to my own children. Many of the counselors actually attended the school that they now represent. Why not have a discussion with your alma mater about the possibilities?

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 29, 2018

Simba, welcome to A to Z.

I understand that you felt your previous thread wasn't getting enough traction, but next time, could you please just "bump" it - post again in it - rather than launching a new thread in a new forum? A to Z Forums policy strongly discourages multiple threads at the same time on the same topic by the same member, on grounds that that leads to scattering of the discussion.

At this time of year, responses tend to be a bit slow - members are either wrapping up the school year or taking a well-earned break away from everything - so it's not unusual for a thread to go a day before beginning to garner replies.

I see that another moderator has removed your earlier thread.

Oh, and lest you worry: no, you're not in trouble with the mods. I often post an explanation like this, partly so the thread originator learns but also as a strong hint to others in the community.

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 1, 2018

15. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 1, 2018

Thank you for the reply.
    The disobedience is school wide. Unfortunately, our admin do not provide consequences.

16. Anonymous425

Anonymous425 Rookie

Jul 4, 2018

Maybe it would be a good idea to try another school out if you don't get an admissions job.