Anyone sick yet?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by girlblue16, Aug 30, 2008.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

It took only 9 days of school to get my first cold/sore throat/ear ache. :( :down:

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

I am--I tested positive for strep on Thursday. 8 days from the 1st day of school is a record for me!

4. nothermanda

nothermanda Companion

Aug 30, 2008

No, although my voice is pretty hoarse from talking all the time!

Popsicles all around!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, I've had a cold for a week now and have only been in school for two weeks!

6. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

Not sick yet...knock on wood....just hoarse from talking all day again! A couple of years ago I had strep throat the 2nd week of school....not fun at all!

7. minnie

minnie Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I am sick at this very moment. Stuffy nose, sore throat, coughing. I have one child in my class who came to school sick...Thanks mom!

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

Not sick yet! I also have been hoarse from talking. I am using ariborne because there are several students and teachers out already with some kind of flu like bug.

9. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

I'm on a steady diet of chicken soup, crackers, 7 up and Tylenol right now. It started last Thursday on Curriculum night. I'm hoping to shake it by Tuesday when we go back.

10. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 30, 2008

I don't feel sick other than a headache and being hoarse from using my "teacher voice" for extended periods of time.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 30, 2008

I thought mine was just laryngitis, which I always get at the start of school. Today, though, I woke up to a sore throat and messed up sinuses. Welcome to the first cold of school.

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

Yep! Got the cough/cold already and hopefully my immune system is good for the rest of the school year. (NOT!) It's a PITA but it comes with the territory. I was hoarse for a couple of days, due to the talking & singing with the children.
    We continue to do what we do BEST....TEACH & REACH!:)
    Make a positive difference in a child's life,
    Rebel1

13. hipteachergirl

hipteachergirl Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I just started feeling yucky today. I knew that with this being my first year, I'd get sick, but not so soon. Luckily, my insurance kicks in on Monday! :)

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2008

I lost my voice the other day from talking too much!

But, I have been sniffley (sp?) lately. Sneezing a lot, too.

15. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 30, 2008

It took about 19 days (we finished 21 on Friday) but I knew it was coming since I have had 3 or 4 sniffling and sneezing all over the place. Oh well, I stopped Thursday and picked up some over the counter medicine that seems to be helping. Hopefully I will kick it before Tuesday when we go back.

16. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 30, 2008

My sinuses have been all clogged up and the pressure is unbelievable. All this humid weather and TS Fay coming through really made things worse. Then on top of it all, our school turns the AC off on the weekends. So, when we come in on Mondays, its about 85 degrees in the room and is wet and sticky feeling.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

This year I'm training my students to cough/sneeze into their arm instead of their hands and to wash their hands whenever they use a tissue.

I've found that I get sick far less since I started biking instead of driving to work.

18. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

I'm not sick, but my husband is. I seem to bring home all the germs and give them to him.

19. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Aug 30, 2008

Yep. It took 7 days. on antibiotics and everything. i feel miserable and have to be at school late everyday next week. Not good:(

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2008

Not good chemteach55.. :(:(...... and a hurricane at there to boot.. Take care

Major......:)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 30, 2008

I haven't been sick since early last year, thank God. On the 1st day of school, during giving my introductory info, I touch on the subject of covering the mouth to sneeze or cough. I even say if they can turn their head as well to do so because no one wants those germs (especially me). I point out where the tissue box is & the waste paper baskets to throw it away.

22. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

I went in last week to start setting up my room and got sick 2 days later!! One day in the building and I caught something!!! Go figured!!!

23. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

love2teach-me too! I haven't even seen my new students yet and I've already caught something. I have an ear infection which is causing me to cough constantly. I just don't understand how and where I caught it from.

24. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 31, 2008

I started getting sick earlier this Tuesday from a combination of our basement flooding at home and the stress from both it and school. Fortunately, I don't get colds and have never had the flu. I just come down with terrible and severe allergies. The more stressed, I am the worse they are. I think it's turning around today, hopefully. Allergies make me as miserable as someone with a cold or the flu.:(

25. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 31, 2008

I sure hope that I don't get sick, especially with strep -- I have a student who has health issues. If they get exposed to certain things, strep being one of them, it will cause big problems! *fingers crossed about illness this year*

I hope everyone feels better quickly!

26. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 31, 2008

I started feeling the itchy throat on day 3. I had to cancel my labor day weekend plans because by the time I came home Friday it had upgraded to fever and major sinus pressure. I've been in bed for the last 2 days and trying to pump myself full of fluids and vitamin C. I'm hoping to be feeling a lot better by Tuesday (but have a dr. appointment that afternoon, just in case).

27. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 31, 2008

Move the student’s wastebasket away from your desk. Keep a small one under your desk for you to use.

Crack a window a tiny bit for fresh air.

Plants are wonderful. Philodendron, Spider Plants and Wondering Jew are easy to grow. There are plants that were tested by NASSAU for their ability to filter and clean indoor air of pollutants such as cigarette smoke and chemicals from off-gassing of new carpeting and furniture, as well as others. Ferns, peace plant, spider plant, mother-in-law's tongue (snake plant), corn plant, etc, are just a few.

Wash your hands often. Use anti-bacterial wipes or spray on the door knobs and wipe down student's desk everyday. Be sure and wipe their pencils. Put a bit of spray on their desk and give them a paper towel and let them clean before leaving each day.

Never use student’s pencils. Don't let students use your pencils or scissors.

Teach them to cough in their elbows, not on their hands.

Spray the room with Lysol.

Drink orange juice and green tea.

Get a flu shot.

Keep tissue box away from your desk. Never use tissue from the box that the students use.

Cover the Baby Oil label, because they don’t want to be babies and use baby stuff. Put a label on it Magic and call it Magic. Great for chapped arms and legs.
    Vaseline is great for chapped lips. Dip a q tip in the Vaseline and give the student the q tip.

Put your name on everything you buy. That way when you move grades or
    schools there won't be any question if it is yours or not.

Wear comfortable shoes that is a must.

For the aches and pains. Band aids the cheapest ones you can find.
    Baby oil with label off. Put your label on "Magic Portion" That will
    cure many aches and bumps.
    A damp paper towel.
    If you have a refrigerator, a small one from college. Perfect. Put a
    couple zip bags with a wet paper towel in the freezer for bumps.
    You can keep you a can of soda and your lunch in there also

Read some small picture books and record them. You will be so glad to
    have them when you get a sore throat.

GERMS--- sneeze and cough and about spreading germs. (Of course this is done in August when it's still hot!) I hold a misting bottle in my hand (they think I am taking care of the critters or plants) and start talking to them, suddenly I start sneezing and coughing. I squirt the misting bottle in the air as I do. I am walking around the room so I tag 'em all! I ask them what I should have done and of course they all yell "cover your mouth". So I "sneeze" and "cough" using the bottle in my hand. My hand gets soaking wet. I then walk around the room shaking hands, touching shoulders, pencils, desks, etc. They realize how far my "germs" spread. It leads to a really good discussion on how to prevent spreading germs.
    GERMS-----Have the kids divide into three equal groups. Have one kid from each group come up and spray their hand with water then dip it into a bag of glitter. Have each of the three volunteers dip in three different colors. Then they go back to their group and shake hands with everyone in their group. Once you have done that have the kids inspect their own hands for "germs". Then coat the volunteers hand again and let all of the kids shake with kids from the other groups. You could give a limit of shaking with 7 kids or something. When they are done they should have a fairly good dose of "germs" on their hand. You can then go over proper hand washing techniques while they wash the "germs" away.

DO NOT touch your eyes and/or nose

Sharper Image Germicidal Air Purifier works to great to clean the room. It really works to cuts down on the number of times the teacher and students get sick. Sharper Image products are little pricey

28. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 31, 2008

I think I'm just allergic to something, my sneezing and stuff nose seems to be on & off. I had a girl absent on Friday though, mom said she was home with the stomach bug....on day 3?! Not already!!:( I bleached all the tables before I left and will Lysol everything else tomorrow morning. Ugh.

29. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 31, 2008

We've been in school 3 weeks and I've already missed the last 2 days with a severe sinus infection! I started with the same runny nose a lot of my kids have on Monday and by Thursday I was calling in sick. The doctor has me on 5 different meds...steroids, antibiotics, decongestant, nasal spray and a pain killer...so far, I'm not much better than I was Thursday:(, but hopefully I'll be ok to go back on Tuesday.

30. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 31, 2008

My goodness goopp. I am so sorry. I didn't feel well Friday but my kids took one look @ me and determined it would be in their best interest to not screw with me so we had a good day. I only took some over the counter stuff since Thursday night and I am feeling much better. I have sneezed a few times but the coughing and congestion is not 1/2 as bad. I hope you feel better soon (cringing at the thought of taking that much medication).

31. flesteach

flesteach Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Yep, after my first full day of kindergarten my throat is on FIRE! The coughing, the drainage....YUCK! I have been gargling warm salt water and drinking green tea. I should also buy stock in Halls cough drops..... :tired:

32. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Sep 1, 2008

Yep, it took a week and a half.

33. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 1, 2008

Yes, right now. Same exact things. :| I also have a headache and stomach ache back-and-forth.

34. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Sep 1, 2008

Yes, I got sick right away, but it passed quickly. Congestion that went right to my chest, sore throat, fever for one day. Not awful, but not pleasant! :D