Anyone Sick During Their 2-Wk Break?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2014

Mon night, I ended up w/ a sore throat out of the blue. Today, I'm worse, but still OK to go out & do a couple things if I really had to. I've been gargling w/ warm, salt, apple cider vinegar water & took cold medicine last night.

Great, just in time for my BF's surprise b-day party on Sat night.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2014

I've finally started to feel better after fighting a cold since about the 15th of December. We had a horrible "crud" going through school, with at least half of the kids and most of the staff suffering on some level either before or during the break.

I only took cold medicine at night, and took lots of vitamin C, and drank peppermint/echinacea tea and lots of water during the day and got as much rest as I could.

Feel better, Ms. I.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2014

Of course. I never seem to be healthy on breaks.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 30, 2014

Perhaps this is the excuse you can use to not attend the party since you are not at all thrilled about attending and spending any time with your fiance's family. Hope you feel better as a cold is not the best way to ring in the New Year.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2014

Many of my friends and their kids have had stomach bugs, upper respiratory infections, ear infections, and the flu. I've been lucky so far. I'm feeling fine. I was dealing with allergies for a day or so after raking leaves, but nothing bad.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2014

I am. :( I've had a cold since the day after Christmas. My doctor thinks it may be a sinus infections, so I just started on an antibiotic. So frustrating. I had a huge to-do list, but I just can't get off of the couch.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2014

I had a cold the last two weeks of school and finally went to the Dr for a sinus infection. I'm better now, just in time to go back and catch the next thing running around the classroom.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2014

Thanks MrsC. Feel better Driving Pigeon.

I actually felt OK today. A friend & I had planned to go to the mall 35-40 min away & have lunch & I didn't want to cancel. I even did all the driving. She seemed like she was getting a cold (or getting over one too).

True & thanks, I was thinking about that. I really don't care about attending. I just care about seeing his reaction when everyone yells, "Surprise!" I can go home right after that, but I guess I won't.

10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2014

Yes i was sick starting the Saturday before Christmas. I managed to get my shopping done while being sick,crancky, and tired. I finally started feeling better two days ago. Not how i wanted to spend my Christmas but at least i didnt have to get ready for a sub while sick this week m

11. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 31, 2014

I'm not employed, so no break, but I am sick. Doctor has me on antibiotics just to make sure it doesn't creep into my chest, as all of my illnesses do if they are not caught quickly enough.

12. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 31, 2014

I am on IVs, as I am every year at this time. It sucks but it is my first time doing them with a port and I love it. Gotta look on the bright side I guess:)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 31, 2014

DD came home from work early on Christmas Eve, within an hour she was throwing up. Day after Christmas, DH was sick the other way. A day or 2 later I woke up with a sore throat. So far, the only healthy one is DS. He's praying that he doesn't get it & the rest of us are well enough on Saturday. We have tickets to Wicked.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2014

Feel better bros, sue35, & hope you can make the performance kpa1b2.

That sounds like something that would happen to me...have tickets to a performance & get sick just in time for it! I liked Wicked & I plan to see it again at the beginning of the year.

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2015

I have been lucky. The week before break kids were getting sick left and right. Older SS got dry cough a few days before break, and it held on about a week. Younger SS came down with a barky cough the day after Christmas. That morphed into and upper resp. infection complete with sinus pressure and constant nose-blowing. So far I have had nothing, and I hope it stays that way.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 3, 2015

Other than a little coughing, I'm good enough to still go to the party tonight!

17. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2015

Been completely healthy during break (surprising, since I thought the let-off of the stress would lead to my body going through a quick bout of sickness), but then I just got sick and it's led to exhaustion and feeling horrible the last couple days, and especially last night. I meant to pull a 8am until ready kind of day today in the classroom...needless to say, I didn't make it in until 1pm. Wanting to avoid having to have a sub tomorrow...not the kind of day to have your first non-PD sub of your career :)

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 4, 2015

I was borderline until Thursday, when I ran a 5K in cold weather without covering my face. By Friday night (granted, after a party), I had no voice and gooey lungs. Starting to feel better courtesy of a LOT of spicy food and doubled up doses of guaifenesin.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2015

My cough has mostly gone away, but it does still come back with a vengeance at times. It's typical for me, though, that everything heads straight to my chest and a cough can hang on for quite awhile.

It will be interesting to do an informal poll tomorrow to see how many kids were sick over the break.

20. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2015

It was JUST starting to make its way through my class the last couple days before break. I'm guessing more than a few of mine ended up with it...

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 5, 2015

Still not 100% after starting to feel it last Mon night! :mad:

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2015

Mine started the weekend before Christmas break, so the 14th, still fighting the cough! Today has been tough with having to do a lot more talking.

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 5, 2015

I caught a slight cold a few days after Christmas. Mostly just a runny nose with post nasal drip. I'm hoping I don't catch anything once the kids come back to school tomorrow!

24. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 6, 2015

Whatever I had is mostly gone, aside from an occasional cough.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 6, 2015

2nd day back & my P asked me if I was okay. Told him I wasn't feeling the greatest, but not to the point that I'd take a day off. He encouraged me to take a day if I need it. Then another teacher told me I looked stressed and 2 more teachers said I looked like I'd been crying.

I honestly, don't feel horrible, just like I may have the beginnings of something.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 6, 2015

This. I hadn't realized how much drainage and coughing I was doing until I was back to talking for a living.