Anyone seen the movie Won't Back Down?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by joeschmoe, Jul 26, 2013.

1. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 26, 2013

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 26, 2013

I saw it. I didn't agree with the agenda it was promoting, but other than that it was pretty good. If I were watching it with no vested interest in public education I would really like the movie. It could be though I was comparing it to the education documentaries which I can't stand (but watch anyway).

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2013

It was painful to watch. I don't even know why I did.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Nope. I always read reviews ahead of time.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

I wanted to, but I just couldn't. Movies like that just make me angry, and I work at a charter.

7. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 26, 2013

I've never seen it, but I kind of want to. I have a love/hate relationship with teaching documentaries. However, I tend to fall in love with any movie that's centered around urban education such as Freedom Writers and Ron Clark Story.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 27, 2013

I love teacher movies, but HATED this one! I went to see it with a friend who is also a teacher, and we both hated it. For me it wasn't even about the agenda, etc, it was just really bad script and much worse acting.

9. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jul 27, 2013

This movie was made by a group of far right corporate-reformers who want to privatize public education and ban teacher unions. The same group produced Waiting for Superman as a propaganda film to stir up public interest in their cause.

Critics largely pilloried the movie for its two-dimensional portrayal of bungling bureaucrats, contract-bound teachers unwilling to stay late to help struggling students and villainous teachers' unions led by conniving, blackmailing bosses.

10. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Well said. Every inaccurate portrayal of the public education system was grossly exaggerated in the movie. Teacher's union don't allow teachers to stay after the school day ends to help students? I have never heard of that one before.

What I absolutely love is the cliche "cool male teacher" character who said all the right things about teachers union but ultimately he was swayed. LOL.

11. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 27, 2013

I started watching it last night, and I haven't finished it. I actually had high hopes for this movie, but I'm not loving it so far. I just cannot stand the terrible acting and the character development.

The mom just seems so flighty to me not really focused. Plus the characters just develop way too quickly that it just seems so unnatural. I'm sure I'll finish it, but this movie won't rank anywhere near "Freedom Writers."

12. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Yeah, it's hard to relate to Maggie's character. I get she's a single mom, but you never get this sense that she's struggling. She works two jobs but have plenty of time to run around during the daytime. I like how she hooked up with the teacher and instantly has no problem having him come babysit her daughter. I'm sorry, but that's irresponsible as a parent to trust your daughter to someone you recently met. Don't get me started about making her second job, the bar, a hangout spot with free drinks all around.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 28, 2013

I actually heard that above all else it was just really boring!