Anyone scheduled to be terminated due to school closing?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Evian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Evian

Evian Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

I got the word today that my position isn't going to be around for the following year. My school was chosen to be phased out two years ago. Right now my school has about another two years left before they officially close it.
    I currently have two 1st graders and three 4th graders. Next year my 4th graders will be going to the upper grade TMH classroom. Today, I was offered the teaching position of the upper TMH classroom. Sounds great but that position is being held by a friend. He is a good TMH teacher unfortunately due to an overload of paperwork, he has been caught several times working on his EIEPs instead of teaching:whistle: What would you have done?

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2010

So your dilema is you dont want to take his job?

I think that if you dont, someone else will...will they move him or fire him? Its not like they have to let one go and it doesnt matter who it is bc of senority right? or is this a private school?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2010

It sounds to me as though he has already lost his job. (In this economy, WHAT was he thinking doing something else besides teaching SEVERAL TIMES????)

I would have a chat with him, and let him know that I intended to take the job. Don't let him hear through the grapevine. But I most certainly would take it.

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2010

Do they seriously still have classrooms called "TMH?"

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Mar 2, 2010

What is TMH?

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2010

Trainable mentally handicapped

:(

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2010

Right now you have to put your career first. Take the job and, like Alice said, tell your colleague yourself. AND, don't get caught doing paperwork instead of teaching.
    I have been in your friend's shoes (being overloaded with paperwork). This year, I will have written IEP's and met with the parents about 120 times. That's why I begin my school day at 4:30 am. It's the only time I can do paperwork since I don't get breaks during the school day.

9. spellingfun

spellingfun Rookie

Mar 3, 2010

That doesn't sound like the full story.

I thought the layoffs were almost always by seniority.

Is that the underlying story here?

10. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Mar 3, 2010

My school isn't closing but my district in California is in big budget trouble and so the district is letting all first and second year teachers go. I'm a second year special education teacher so that includes me. It is possible of rehiring but I won't know until May or even AUGUST at the latest. So I'm already planning and thinking I need to stay hopeful that maybe the planning WON'T be needed...

11. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Mar 5, 2010

I Work For The Office of Education (California)

Jameohope,

I work for one of the California Office of Education (County Special Education Programs) here in the state as well. I work with students with severe-profound disabilities and i'm in the same situation about having my classroom cut as well. I'm tenured and at the end of the year it will be my 12th year of teaching special education full-time. They are closing 2 of the PAU's (Principal Administration Units) in our program where they serve students with special education needs that the district is not able to find placement. The districts are threatening to take our jobs away from us because they think they can do a better job than we can. Nobody is safe in California right now due to budget cuts. We have until March 15th for the deadline to find out if we will be terminated due to "reduction in force (rif)". I do not know what is going to happen. I'm waiting to find out. My principal wants to send my current classroom back to the district because of low enrollment. I am praying (Christian) that God will deliver me through this hard time. I wish everyone who is a special education teacher in California the best of luck.

Aspieteacher:dizzy:

12. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Mar 6, 2010

Thanks, AspieTeacher and good luck to you. Hopefully things will work out for our students and our state.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 6, 2010

Evian- several of your posts lead me to believe you teach in CPS.
    1) Jobs are by seniority (based on certification). If you have more years than your "friend" provided you are both tenured than you get the job no matter what. If your friend is less than 4 years in than he can be "clicked" off.
    2) With the state of the economy and the number of programs currently under the chopping block, I suggest if you have a position, keeping it. CPS has a $975,000,000 deficit. Lots of programs could be cut for next year.