Anyone saw yourself on a rate the teacher sites?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustT, Jun 8, 2009.

1. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 8, 2009

Wow, the things you find on the internet these days. I didn't see myself on the site however, my son's middle school and high school teachers were on this site as the students rated and evaluated the course online.

Some of them has some harsh things to say mainly because they didn't do too well in class. Other posts had wonderful comments with great insight about what a student will be getting into if they are in this teacher's course next year.

3. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

I found myself on ratemyteachers.com

Although my ratings were generally quite good, I can't imagine anything on there would be all that useful. All I've seen on any faculty pages are either rave reviews or bitter and angry comments... nothing helpful or particularly interesting. Perhaps the students at my school don't use the site as well as others do.....

4. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 8, 2009

I didn't find myself. I'm not sure how I feel about a site like this.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

I haven't gone to that site but I've gone to the ratemyprofessor site when I was in college - it helped a bit with knowing how the professor was and people were less likely to just give the prof a harsh comment just because of the grade.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

I would agree it is nice for college, because the students are more likely to put constructive info there- such as should you buy the book? Do you use the book? How intensive is the course? What are the assignments and what are the grades? How does the prof grade? All stuff like that as well as a few personal things- like this prof loves or this prof whatever. I like it for the basic info like that, but the personal remarks and whatnot are just nuts. I just take the real info about the basics and leave the rest because I know it is just personalities and clashes and stuff like that. Overall not useful for kids, but for college I like it.

7. janney

janney Cohort

Jun 8, 2009

I've just spent way too much time on those two sites...

The one thing that I noticed was that, in the college version, if the student didn't do well in the class they said it was because they hadn't studied enough, and on the other sight (K-12) the students were more likely to blame the teacher for not doing well. I was surprised to see some elementary schools on there...not very useful at all. One student rated her teacher high because she let the kids play on her cell phone.

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 9, 2009

:eek:

9. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2009

We have this in the UK. What a liberty!

So we all log on and give ourselves great ratings! Making the data on sites like this useless is the only way to tackle them.

10. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jun 9, 2009

I won't look. I was on there once and a girl who had a crush on a hockey player (from the local WHL team - not from the NHL) I dated had rated me at every school I'd taught at and called me a whore. When I contacted the owners of the site asking to have my name or the contact removed for slander they refused.

My lawyer dealt with it, but I'm sure the girl has posted again.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 9, 2009

I did the same thing. Teehee.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2009

I agree that it is very useful for college students--they are paying a great deal of money for their education and could use this feedback in making informed decisions. I have rated a few of my professors.

At the middle school level the students are generally not mature enough to leave accurate or helpful information.

13. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

:rofl:

I can see everyone's point and another child might find what was said to be accurate instead of evaluating the post. The information on my son's HS on the site seemed useful (though I didn't check other districts or schools) mainly because many of the posters explained what they got out of the class, how much they enjoyed it, and how much assistance was available before exams. Then my son shows me the schools MySpace and Facebook pages which were much more silly:eek:

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

Ratemyprofessors made my college days so much easier; I can't imagine what I would have done without it!

15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2009

Can you imagine the outcry if we were to set up a rate my students website? How can anyone defend a website where anyone can comment on your professional ability without moderation.

16. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 10, 2009

with more cases going to court for internet slander and libel... I would be extremely weary of being responsible for a site like this or have a child post anything to 'get even'.

rate my students.... that is just inappropriate :eek:

17. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2009

I told my kids (jokingly) that I was going to create a "rate my students" site! LOL. That would be awesome!

I don't think anyone gives ANY credibility to this site, at least not anyone who would be in a position to hire you or evaluate you. Once you find yourself, however, you can click on a link that says, "I am Mrs. X" and have a chance to defend yourself. You have to submit your school email in order for them to verify it, though.