Anyone purchase these? CCSS ELA series

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 19, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

A Curricular Plan for the Reading Workshop and A Curricular Plan for the Writing Workshop Downloadable eDocs by Lucy Calkins

http://www.heinemann.com/products/E04305.aspx

I quickly browsed the samples, and I can't tell if it is something that I would use. What do you guys think?

3. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 19, 2012

The school I student taught in used the Teacher's College method. I found the lessons in the book to have good teaching points (i.e.: Readers use their reading fingers to help them follow the words) but they are very rigid in terms of how they want you to do it (5 minutes of mini lesson means the kids don't participate). I do like TC, but only if you are flexible with it!

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 19, 2012

I wish I knew how helpful they would be - I would buy them if I knew. I wish they would show a sample. :(

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

I have the reading workshop book for kindergarten and it is fabulous, worth the money for sure. The other book I love and use is Growing Readers by Kathy Collins.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 19, 2012

There is a sample tab.

I'm hesitant to buy CommonCore materials right now. I worry publishers are just out to make a buck by slapping "CommonCore" in the title. I'm finding a lot of good stuff online. There is a ton of elementary stuff on Pinterest. (Not so much for secondary :()

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 19, 2012

That is exactly how I feel...I want some sort of guidance, because mapping it all out on my own just seems overwhelming. I have not purchased anything yet. I figured that most items with Lucy Calkins' name attached are probably good resources.

8. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 19, 2012

I sent you a PM.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2012

Sorry for my earlier post - didn't see the samples at first. Everything I have read from Lucy Calkins has always been great - I'm just not sure if it would help me since I'm required to work within the confines of out Storytown basal series.

10. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 20, 2012

I have ordered other things from heinemann and thought they were all good, if that helps at all

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2012

I only looked at the 5th grade sample, so take this only as it may apply:

The lesson ideas seem to be a good resource. I would probably use this as just another resource. I would not follow it as a yearly plan. The biggest thing that jumped out at me is that is doesn't follow the writing plan given by CCSS. Each 9 weeks, we have to write 3-5 narrative pieces, plus focus pieces of either informational, opinion, or explanatory, depending on the module. Just following this wouldn't account for all the writing.