Anyone pick up and move away to another state for a job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoreline02, Apr 13, 2011.

1. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 13, 2011

I just drove about 4 hours to another state for an interview tomorrow but I'm getting cold feet. I don't really know anyone here. Anyone else go through this?:(

3. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 13, 2011

My fiance and myself are both applying to states other than Illinois. However, we'd be going together- even if only one got a job. We decided that we'd rather teach in (insert state) than not teach in Illinois.

What state did you drive through?

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 13, 2011

I drove from Pennsylvania to Virginia

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 13, 2011

For non-job related reasons I left South Florida for Georgia, then when I was unable to find a real job there (I took a waitressing job to survive) I started applying everywhere and eventually found my current job in North Dakota. It was pretty scary, but in the end, it was probably the best decision I've ever made.

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 13, 2011

Yep, 1400 miles away to Arizona. Knew no one here. It was a fun adventure.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2011

OK, so you're there now, right?? Can we assume you have a rental car?

Go down to the front desk and ask them to recommend a nice restaurant. Get in the car and drive-- get a little bit of a feel for this place. Hit a mall, see a movie, whatever. Do NOT sit in a hotel room and obsess about the interview or about being alone. Alternately, does the hotel have a health club? (SO not what I would do with free time, but it works for some.) My point is twofold: 1) don't obsess about the interview and 2) See a little of this place.

Tomorrow, go OUT and get breakfast (somewhere NOT in the hotel-- you' won't get a feel for the locals there.) Find a diner or an IHOP and have a good breakfast- Talk to the waitress, the salsespeople, whoever. See what they have to say about the place and the school.

So scope it out as though you're taking the job unless and until you know definitely that you're not.

Good luck tomorrow. What would you be teaching?

8. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 13, 2011

Great ideas Alice. The interview is for an elementary position.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2011

Yup- I moved 12,000 miles away for my job. I didn't know a single person within about 11,000 miles when I moved here. I loved the job from the start, hated the town at first but I've gotten used to it and I actually really like it here now. It took me awhile to really make friends outside of work and have people to go out with and stuff. Overall definitely the best decision I ever made. I think I'm happier here than I ever would have been had a I gotten a job in my home state, both professionally and personally. It all depends on where you move though and what there is to do there, what the staff is like (will there be people to socialize with, etc.).

10. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Apr 13, 2011

In my profession before teaching, I packed up and moved over 2000 miles away. I did not know a sole, I had never been to the state, and I was a consultant so I did not have an office to work out of. I loved it. It was a great experience for the two years I lived there. However, when a position opened up near my hometown two years later I requested a transfer.
    When I was looking at apartments I stopped to talk to some cops. I explained that I was moving out there not knowing the area. I gave them a map and asked where I should look for an apartment and where I don't want to live :)

11. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 13, 2011

I am wanting to! I will have family within a couple of hours. I just obtained my Mississippi license yesterday:) It sounds like those that did pick up and move have had a positive experience.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 13, 2011

I actually get the itch after about 5-6 years. Luckily my husband tends to get jobs in other places about that time. I see each new place as a grand adventure. One thing I commonly do is go to the book store and get a travel book on the area or pick up a bunch of brochures at the hotel and just get lost in the idea of visiting all these places. I like seeing what kinds of food places and storess are around, etc.

13. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 13, 2011

I did the move from ID to MS but since I was moving home to take a new job, the 44 hour drive to get to work on the 3rd day of school that 1st year isn't worth mentioning. Still, I didn't know anyone where I worked. I still don't know anyone in the town I live in after four years. I have to travel 30 minutes out of the way to hangout with family or friends. It's lonely but livable. All that driving to visit has created the not-so-vicious cycle of creating no need to meet someone nearby. I'm surviving it well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Apr 14, 2011

I did it. I think it was a great move for me and my family. It really makes you get out of any rut you were in and reach out to folks that you normally would not... I did have my immediate family with me for support though.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

How did it go today, Shoreline?

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

I know people move out of state all the time for jobs, but I'd NEVER dream of looking for a job out of the state being a single person that I am. Heck, I wouldn't really look more than 45 min. Now it would be different if I was married & my husband had a good job & got a promotion where it meant moving. Otherwise, no.

17. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 14, 2011

My husband and I moved from PA to CA for a job for him. It was a great opportunity to work with a start up company in the computer field so we sold the house we had bought just two years prior and moved across country. Now, this isn't the same as your situation because 1-I moved with my husband and 2-he had a friend working at the company so we knew one person already. For us it was a great decision. We loved it in CA and only moved back due to having children and wanting them to be closer to our family who all live in PA and NY.

I hope you followed Alice's advice of checking out the area. If you're offered something at a school that you think you'd fit in well at I think you should go for it.

18. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

The interview went very well I think! I had an answer for everyone of their questions and there was lots of head nodding. It was a panel of 5 and upon entering the office, I could just feel the warm community of learners they have. Everyone within the office was very friendly and the way the greeted the children was wonderful.

I would love to apart of their school =) The nervousness I believe also comes from the fact that if I were to move, it would be my first time living away from home.

Wish me luck, I won't hear anything back until after Easter!

*** The interview question thread helped a bunch. Every single one of the questions they asked me was featured within the thread!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 14, 2011

That's great shoreline!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2011

Glad to hear it went well, shoreline! Good luck!

21. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Apr 15, 2011

I picked up and moved this year and I didn't have a good experience. I moved to a town that was in the middle of nowhere.. a VERY small town. I don't like the town because I'm more of a city type of person, but I still went anyway. The biggest problem that I had though is that due to budget cuts, they cut all the first year teachers so my position was cut.

I don't like the town, but I would have been willing to stay for the job. But now, I can't imagine staying in the same apartment in the same town to just waitress or something since I don't like where I live. But, I went ahead and bought all this new furniture, spent money on hiring movers to move my stuff and now after living here for a year, I'm going to have to hire movers AGAIN to move out my furniture and stuff and go through the process of moving AGAIN.

So now I'm like, do I apply for new jobs in random areas and go ahead and pack everything up, hire movers, set up a new apartment to move to a random city AGAIN? And then what if I move to a new city and go through it all again and with budget cuts my position gets cut AGAIN? On top of that, I'm just starting to meet new people around here and continuously moving every year makes it hard to meet people and make friends and just the hassle of moving is costly. I'm almost starting to think I should just pick a city and move there.. and look for jobs there.. and plan on staying there for good.. and if I don't find a job teaching, do waitressing/substitute teaching or whatever I can get - just so I don't have to move every year for the next couple of years.. so that's just my take on it.. especially with budget cuts and how things are now..

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2011

I moved to another state right out of college. I am about 8 hours from my family. That was 4 years ago, and I'm just now starting to think about moving closer to home (although, part of that is because of how much I LOVE my school--I wish I could pick up the whole community and move it 500 miles north...).

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2011

I didn't move to another state, but I did move to another town 400 miles west of where I and my kids grew up. I can say I knew no one but my principal the day I came out to sign my contract. I absolutely love my job, boss, school, new hometown. We will be here for a long time. Or at least until I cant stand the no rain, no trees, and my across the hall neighbor.

24. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 18, 2011

Yes I did. 4 years ago. There were no jobs in my home state and I knew that I would have to leave, however I was ready to leave. I moved by myself and knew no one here. It's hard especially when everyone has family, friends and an established life here but it can be done.

25. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 18, 2011

Yep

I moved from Western NY to rural Alaska as soon as I graduated from college three years ago. It was the best decision I ever made. I ABSOLUTELY love my life here, and have the most AMAZING people! :)

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 20, 2011

I want to thank everyone for posting about their experiences with moving for a job. My husband and I have lived in California all our lives, but we are faced with the distinct possibility of having to move if I ever want a job. My family actually lives 450 miles from us in a different area of the state near where I grew up, so I do not feel as connected to this particular area. My husband, however, has never lived anywhere else, and his entire family is here. However, the job market is bad here, and although he does have the job he had all through college, he hasn't been able to find a better one in the year since we graduated from college. I graduate from my credential program in December, and after that we are going to have to make some very difficult decisions...

27. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 20, 2011

Yellow, Utah is hiring a lot of teachers now. I'm trying to leave because of family. Utah is a day driver from lots of places in California. I make the trip 5-6 times a year. If you have to leave next year, you might want to consider a state close by so that you can get home to family for the holidays etc. Good luck, I hope you find a job in your home state.

28. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

Yes! This time last year I was planning my move as well. I moved about 600 miles away from home to North Carolina. I do have distant cousins about 45 minutes from here but I've only seen them a few times since I've moved. Really, it's all what you make of it. You'll have to force yourself to go out and meet people. If you're not that kind of person, you may have a hard time. I moved with my bf of five years and I'm really glad he made the move with me. We're living in a community filled with retirees and families so we're planning to move this summer a little bit closer to a bigger city but I'm keeping my job at my school. It's been hard meeting other people outside of work but I know it will come with time.... My biggest problem was missing my parents and friends (not being homesick necessarily, just wishing I could be with my loved ones) but Skype has really made it less painful. I thankfully also have parents that are willing to come visit and fly me home for Christmas. If you think the job is a good fit for you, then take it. I always told myself that I could do this for a year. I'd give it a year, finish out the school year, and if I didn't like it, I could always move home. Well, the school year is coming to a close and I have no intention of going back! I wish you the best! Keep us posted.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011