Anyone Own a Business OR Always Wanted To?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2015

For one brief time when I was a teen, my parents & I were talking about owning a frozen yogurt shop, which probably would have done good business, but we never did more than just talk about it. And that was way before the self-serve yogurt places came out.

If I ever wanted to own a B&M (brick & mortar) business, I'd want to own a YogurtLand or something simiilar.

Yrs ago, I had an internet business selling home & personal self defense products.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 30, 2015

I've thought about my own daycare. I've never gotten beyond that though.

The local batting cages were for sale a couple of summers ago. I called & asked what they asking price was. Given that the equipment was old and the season short, I thought that they were asking too much for it. Didn't go any further then that.

My brother just bought a restaurant in our hometown last week.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 30, 2015

I own a ranch, sell Mary Kay, and give private lessons, so technically, I have three small businesses besides teaching.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2015

I opened a daycare once, and a private pre k at a different time. I don't think I would do it now.

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 30, 2015

I would love to own something similar to Tropical Smoothie but more on the "greens" drink side similar to what you saw in the documentary "fat, Sick and Nearly Dead"

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2015

I'd like own a hot dog cart or an ice cream truck for something to do over the summer.

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2015

I've said for years that our small town needs a coffee shop and an ice cream shop. I don't think I'd ever want to own one, though--way too much time and work involved!

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

I have never really thought about it beyond if I did own something, I would want it to be a bookstore/coffee shop! However, I am with Amakaye, it would be a lot of work! I like not having overhead and the worries of actually owning something.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2015

As the spouse of someone with their own business, I can absolutely state that if it isn't something you are passionate about, that you would love as if it were your own child, then you probably should pass on it. No matter how much time you think it will take (or money, or energy, etc.), it will take more. I have lived a life dominated by a self-owned business and I will stay with teaching.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 31, 2015

I have a small crafting business. I sell mostly on etsy though I'm trying to drive more business to my Facebook and Instagram business accounts!

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 31, 2015

One of my friends owns a tattoo shop.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 1, 2015

My aunt quilts things on the side, sells them on etsy and other sites - she earns a decent amount of money for it in addition to her salary as a private school district psychologist.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2015

My mom's best friend's family has some quite talented ladies in the family. One sister made porcelain dolls, the mother made these yarn dogs out of wire clothes hangers, which she showed me how to make, & a niece makes all natural soaps & has an online business.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 1, 2015

My husband bought a machine shop last year. It's something he has always dreamed of. Right now, we do just enough work to pay the bills-we could do more, much more, but we both have full time jobs. It's a big leap to go from a guaranteed paycheck-and frankly, a nice one-to depending on your business to pull income. We're not ready to make the transition...yet...

16. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2015

Agree 100%. I am so glad I am no longer a small business owner. One of the things I love about teaching is working for someone else so I can spend my energy just being good a what I do (not worrying about advertising, marketing, finances, etc.).

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 1, 2015

Hehe, that's funny because that's exactly why my hubby wants to own his business-so he isn't working for someone else and can control all of that! To each his own! :)