Anyone out there teach Greek mythology?

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by runsw/scissors, Jul 20, 2009.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 20, 2009

I'll be teaching 6th grade language arts this year. My P wants me to tie in the reading instruction with what they are studying in other subjects. I know the ss covers ancient civilizations including the Greeks so I thought a unit on Greek mythology would be appropriate. Trouble is that so many of the myths/characters were less than stellar role models. Any suggestions on how to teach Greek/Roman mythology and still avoid the philandering and such?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2009

I think that if you just do an overview of the gods and goddesses and the "family tree" so to speak, you'll find plenty of kid friendly materials out there.

When I taught 7th grade, this was the book I used. It's very well illustrated, the stories are short and entertaining, and you won't get into the ugly stuff. D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 22, 2009

I tied in Greek mythology in my 5th grade classroom with the novel The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. We used some Greek mini-books from Scholastic to give them background on the gods and goddesses and those books were short and sweet enough to avoid any of the nasty weird stuff. We did start off with a family tree of the major gods/goddesses and I pointed out immediately that some gods were married to their siblings and had kids, so clearly they didn't exhibit normal human behavior. Strangely, my kids never questioned all of Zeus' philadering!

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 22, 2009

The reading level is lower, but the magic treehouse research guides were used at my last school. We used them with both 5th and 6th grade students.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 23, 2009

Oooo...I forgot about MT! I'lll definately look into those. I did pick up a couple resource books at the store (Who ME? Never!) I'll need to spend some time looking through those. What kinds of activities did you do in this unit?

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

I ordered a book of Greek Mythology Reader's Theater, but it hasn't come in yet. I am excited to get that one!

One thing my students LOVE is I read the Odyssey to them. I found a 'watered down' version on Amazon, so it is understandable. They love figuring out connections to books and movies they know.

I don't spend a lot of time on gods/goddesses, mostly because of the reasons you cited. I have done a research paper on a god or goddess before, but it was hard for my kids. They all ended up sounding the same, so I haven't done that again.

I really like to tie this unit into my space unit.